Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 10 - newer version odd suffix error

Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ERROR MESSAGE: The document was saved to a temporary file, but FrameMaker can't rename it to have the correct name. The newer version has an odd suffix.

I had this problem with Framemaker 9 and never resovled it. What is the problem? I can't see buying Tech Suite 3 with this problem still out there.

I need a resolution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Rick,

This a function of FM's autosave utility. If this is enabled, then when the time comes to save, FM copies the current file to filename.auto.fm.xxx (where xxx is a random hex value between 000-FFF), then deletes the prior auto-saved file if succcesful and finally renames the .xxx to the .auto.fm file. This three-step is to avoid corruption.

However, sometimes if there is network congestion, greedy/aggressive virus scanning or you're low on disk space or permissions/policies/ownership aren't p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you doing when this occurs?

Are you doing a save or save-as,

or is this an auto-save or .recover

creation failure during a crash?

What is the object open?

.book?

book component .fm file?

Are you using the default .book and .fm extensions?

Are you using anything unusual in the filename prefixes,

i.e. anything other than latin characters, numbers, and

punctuation never special-cased or reserved on any

current or legacy Frame platform?

______

Comma, for example, is a problem printing to file

from Frame on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you doing when this occurs?

I am updating a book.

Are you doing a save or save-as, or is this an auto-save or .recover creation failure during a crash?

No.

What is the object open? book? book component .fm file?

The book file.

Are you using the default .book and .fm extensions?

Yes.

Are you using anything unusual in the filename prefixes, i.e. anything other than latin characters, numbers, and punctuation never special-cased or reserved on any current or legacy Frame platform?

No.

I am doing nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. The files in question are on the same drive that Framemaker is installed on, my local C drive. It is intermittent and does not occur every time I update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am updating a book.

Are you doing a save or save-as, or is this an auto-save or .recover creation failure during a crash?

No.

Well, the Update Book operation, as you probably know, is doing ordinary opens and saves, complete with generating or replacing .backup files.

What are the remnants of the failure? If you start with no .backup files about, do they get created? Do they open intact?

I don't have FM10, and have never seen that error message. I have seen file permission problems, but never resulting in that msg.

Any difference if all the book component files are already open during the Update Book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing I'd be looking at would be permissions in whatever location it's trying to manipulate it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The directory with the books files is on the same drive that Framemaker is on, my C drive. I am logged in as administrator and own the directory and drive.

I am running Windows 7 Pro

Processor: Intel 2 Duo CPU E8600@3.33 Ghz

8 gig of ram

64-bit OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use any backup or recovery utilities, SVN, whatever, that run in the background? If so, they could be temporarily grabbing the file just at the same time that FM is trying to write the save, resulting in a collision.

Are there any messages in your system's event log at the same time? If so, they might help identify the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use any backup or recovery utilities, SVN, whatever, that run in the background?

No.

Are there any messages in your system's event log at the same time? If so, they might help identify the issue.

There is nothing in the event log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

This a function of FM's autosave utility. If this is enabled, then when the time comes to save, FM copies the current file to filename.auto.fm.xxx (where xxx is a random hex value between 000-FFF), then deletes the prior auto-saved file if succcesful and finally renames the .xxx to the .auto.fm file. This three-step is to avoid corruption.

However, sometimes if there is network congestion, greedy/aggressive virus scanning or you're low on disk space or permissions/policies/ownership aren't properly set (especially under Win7 even when you have admin rights), then the temp file can't be renamed to the proper name and FM complains with the "odd suffix" mesage and leaves the .xxx version as is.

This issue is totally system dependent and something is interfering with FM's ability to rename at a low level.

AFAIK, this behaviour has been around FM from at least the first Windows version back in '92

See also this old thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/316082?tstart=0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had File>Preferences>Automatic Save disabled. I imagine that something similar must occur during a book update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still occuring in FrameMaker 11 and Windows 7.

So we can put it down to stupid Microsoft and IT tricks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed anti-virus software and the problem disappeared. I apologize for not posting an update.

I've been running Frame 11 on Windows 7 with Norton Antivirus with no problems for a while now. 

The offending software was CA's eTrust.

Disable your present anti-virus software and see if it goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't change my anti-virus software, Corporate IT policies.

However, I do believe that the culprit in my case is either the permissions, or very likely network latency.

The reason I believe the latter is that our IT department has our My Documents folder linked to a network drive location for our My Documents folder. This means that the local information in that folder is mirrored to a network location.

I verified correct file saving operation by moving my working files from My Documents to a folder under the C:\ root. This gave two advantages, first being increased speed, the second being that the file extension error immediately disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue. An IT chap contacted me saying I was writing files with an .ecc extension that the network antivirus would delete.To quote "Reason is that .ecc is a banned extension as it is associated with malware and is blocked from being put on the server."

There you have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the "odd suffix error" problem, and played around with various things to try to fix it. Finally I had success with this: I had deleted an appendix file, and it was reappearing. This time I deleted it a different way and it worked. Previously I had gone into the book file, right clicked on the file and chosen delete. This time I went into the book file, selected the (grayed-out) file, and then using the menu at the top I did Edit...Delete. This seems completely unrelated to the "odd suffix error" message, but when I did this, it cleared up the odd suffix error problem, and I am now able to save the book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom,

Both approaches (either from the context menu or from the main menu) in the book file should have deleted the file entry from the book file. If the entry was showing as greyed-out, it means that FM couldn't find that file, e.g. it might have been deleted/moved at the system file level.

I'm not certain what you mean by the file "reappearing" in your description? Did you save the Book file after deleting?

Regardless, things were physically changed, which affected what FM was able to write to, so that would have also affected the odd-suffix error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines