I get this kind of error after upgrading flash from cs5 to cs5.5

My library paths seem to be correct

TOPICS
Text layout framework

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

See it from #2 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/855756?tstart=0

What's more, TLFTextField is not a class in TLF but a class given by Flash pro to hold TLF text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pls give me the complete error message. For example, tcmtext in which class cannot be found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it is no more than

Reference Error: Error #1065 Variable TCMText is undefined

The message appears at the end of "test movie", and the movie does not seem to include any code.

I have tried two different configurations (one with authortime import of a bunch of symbols from a separate fla file, and the other one using Flex "Embed" mechanism to reference them, but the end result is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be xxx.TCMText. Pls tell me the caller's class name. Is caller an instance of fl.text.TLFTextField or a TLF object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is all of the error message...

I just saved as xfl and searched for contained text: there is no mention of TCMText anywhere, there is, however, both DOMText and DOMTLFText

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not find tcmtext even in TLF 1.0. So pls port the question to http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash/flash_general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running Adobe Flash Professional CS5 CIAB through my recently upgraded Flash CS5.5. In Chapter 7, Using Text, I got these errors:

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable TLFTextField is not defined.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable TCMText is not defined.

I also though it was a Text Layout Format issue. That's how I landed here. I was about to give after reading this and similar threads when I re-read my Actions panel and discovered I had misspelled 'addEventListener' (see below).

calculateBtn.addEventListtener(MouseEvent.CLICK, calculateMonthlyPayment);

After correcting the typo, the errors went away. Thought this might be helpful.

Now, I'm wondering why my typo doesn't get flagged through Check Syntax. But, that's for another time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it is possible that a typo can go undetected .... if it refers to a dynamic class; it should throw a runtime error instead.

This behavior looks like a definite bug - misreporting errors.

So this would leave me with the Herculean task of extracting all names from the project and finding the one that is misspelled....

I dont know whether something similar exists for flash, but other environments would allow to inspect the generated code (and its import and export names) right before linking all the project files together

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See it from #2 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/855756?tstart=0

What's more, TLFTextField is not a class in TLF but a class given by Flash pro to hold TLF text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I finally realized that I just missed the error messages

With CS5 (as with every flash version before), the movie starts playing even if compilation fails, and flash shows compiler messages.

With CS5.5, although publish settings are to merge code, the movie starts playing and reports the tcmtext error, thereby switching from compiler messages to runtime output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wasn't answered.  Just some people giving up because the Adobe user forums suck so bad.  This is a bug.  Like a lot of Adobe's glitches there doesn't seem to be any support from the corporation just a bunch of us poor fools searching for another work around.

I get the same error code after importing some text as symbols in to Flash from Illustrator.

Searched for the last hour and Adobe has no info out there that leads to a sollution.  Another dead end and time to start from scratch.  Thanks Adobe, your monopoly stands only because nothing better has come along yet.  As soon as it does you can kiss my license fees good by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have Flash Pro CS 5.5.

I made a singleton to manage the contextMenu for the document class of a couple of different SWFs.

I immediately experienced the dreaded : ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable TCMText is not defined.

It wasn't until I was importing these two classes that I had this problem (with this project) :

import flash.ui.ContextMenu;

import flash.ui.ContextMenuItem;

My class that is importing these two classes would instantiate and then I immediately get the runtime error (1065).

THE FIX :

I added this line and it compiled and worked for me :

public var TCMText : *;

I think the bug is that some Adobe code is expecting a dynamic class that it can stick the nefarious 'TCMText' property on and when it can't it freaks out.  Likely if my class was declared as dynamic (like the MovieClip class is) this wouldn't be a problem.

I have generally stayed completely away from TLF TextFields because I have perceived them to be problematic.  I have gotten this error before and converting a TextField to a 'classic' TextField in the IDE properties panel made it go away.

I hope this helps.  It *would* be cool if someone from Adobe could shed some light on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines