Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Optimum Video File Size To Avoid Buffering?

Jun 11, 2011 1:14 PM

I am attempting to encode two 3 minute .flv files for my client for their website. I have encoded both of them under a number of settings and I am now down to tiny 8mb files in order for only one of them to play without excessive buffering. It will play, but it looks absolutely horrible, like the folks are under water. The original file was a .mmv that I first encoded to an .flv file around 18mb that looked fairly nice inside of Dreamweaver. I am using Adobe Media Encoder. The excessive buffering is "play one second, stop for 3-5 seconds", etc. So a 3 min video can take a half hour to play sometimes.

I have gone through the whole process this forum recommends for updating drivers, checking the settings for the website (100mb) (locally now on flash 10.3) and the global settings (client site has unlimited access). I have checked my download speed (Download Speed: 5298 kbps (662.3 KB/sec transfer rate).

These videos need to be viewable by many different people so there are many variables that I cannot control. I am trying to target DSL and above, not modem.

We are actually able to stream internet material to our tv off this computer and my webdev computer is a new ssd running windows 7 pro.

I would appreciate help in getting these two videos encoded and up on the website in a flash player so that they do not buffer excessively.

Thank you.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,357 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2011 1:52 PM   in reply to water bowl

the key with streaming video is not file size.  it's bitrate.

if your bitrate is less than a user's download rate, after an initial brief buffering, no further buffering will be seen by the user.  you can detect a user's download rate and you can serve a video tailored to that user's rate.

if you can't lower bitrate below anticipated download rate, you can preload the video and then start play when loading is complete.  that will ensure no buffering will be seen.  of course, your users will be waiting for the video to start so there's a trade-off.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2011 6:33 PM   in reply to water bowl

Since you talk about a specific product (Adobe Media Encoder - AME), wouldn't it be better to discuss this in that forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2011 1:31 AM   in reply to water bowl

Thank you for the explanation.  There are not many developers/designers here (at least not active), but hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be able to help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2011 5:54 PM   in reply to water bowl

Wondering if you came to a solution on this?  I'm having a similar problem.  Trying to add a 3 minute video onto my site, and have about a 40MB file with 500kbs it plays horribly jerky. I'm on a fast cable connection.  I've tried various compression settings, and none seem to work well, either they don't make it much smaller, or they are small but poor quality.  I'm trying not to use a video hosting site (vimeo, youtube) for this.  Figured there has to be a way.

Thanks,

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 7:02 AM   in reply to water bowl

Thanks.  That's interesting.  My site is actually hosted on GoDaddy too.  I wonder if they're hosting services are not good for video streaming?  Wouldn't that be considered "bandwidth"?

Anyway, thanks for your response. Not sure I can set up another web host. It sucks though because the vid is now extremely unwatchable (5 seconds at a time).I wouldn't mind a stutter here or there, for now.  FWIW Vimeo has a new Vimeo Pro account which looks really good. You host your videos there, get the embed code & streaming service. But what's awesome about it is you can create & upload a tiny logo to display in the bottom right corner, with either your logo or theirs.  So instead of it saying (Vimeo or Youtube) in the corner, you could have your clients name. Worth checking into.  I think it runs $199/year. A little pricey.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 6:01 PM   in reply to water bowl

Thanks for you help with this, so I wanted to relay my outcome & what I learned.  Apparently, GoDaddy doesn't "allow" (or is it "aren't set up for") video streaming on their "shared servers". You need to upgrade to a dedicated server. OR, a virtual server. (Somehow I have a feeling their virtual servers are just shared servers with a guy turning the knobs up to a higher, faster setting). Anyway, I'm not much of a techie & they've been pretty good to me, so I got 6 months of virtual server & once transfered they allowed me to close out the other one.  So yeah it works now & works great. Probably more pricey than yours, but again, I got a few sites up & running on my own with GoDaddy so I can't put a price on that.

Just wanted you to know. And so you can inform your clients with the info if it comes up later.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points