Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable either to install or use Adobe flash player v10+

Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried numerous times to install the newest version of Flash player and can't do it. I have tried all suggestions listed by adobe and here in the forum,. have even turn off my Norton antiviruse, tired the manual install which won't do; it says I have a newer version. So in all respects it seems  I am stuck.

But on the other hand am able to use it when I use Google chrome? also I can not see it listed in my programs listings.

I have Windows 7, 32bit; just upgraded to IE-9 which has been causing me some problems but I can't go back to the older version.

My computer is only about1-1/2yr old. has 4mgs of ram.

SO can anyone help.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for starting your thread. I need to switch to my work computer. In the meantime, go to this test site with each browser. Let me know if you can see the Flash Player logo(Red F) animation(spinning). Also what version of Flash Player is Installed?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I do it in IE-9 nothing comes up, but when I go to Google chrome I see the rotating Red symbol then goes away. the chart below had this which i just copied:

Windows, Linux Chrome 10.3.181.22

I still could find nothing in my own computer about it.

what is the next step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The Chrome is the correct version of Flash Player, which is the latest.

When trying to Install Flash Player 10.3.181.23, did you receive any error message?

Did you use the Administrator Account?

Also what version/edition of Norton do you have? Also what addons are in the browser from Norton? Do you have the Norton Toolbar?

Do you use any other Anti-Virus/Spyware programs and if so, which?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. No error message

2. Not sure if i was in adminstrator, am the only one on so supposedly i was but if not how do i find out?

3. Norton comes with my comcast service and its version is:  Version: 4.3.0.5

4.  I do not have a Norton tool bar. I just have the security suit. Don't know about any add ons? How would  I check for them. I couldn't find any.

5.  the only anti spyware is done through Norton. Which i turned off as well as norton when I tried to install.

To: .abc32086

Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:42 PM

Subject: Flash Player Unable either to install or use Adobe flash player v10+

When trying to Install Flash Player 10.3.181.23, did you receive any error message?

Also what version/edition of Norton do you have? Also what addons are in the browser from Norton? Do you have the Norton Toolbar?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Just to go over a couple of things that you posted here, before you had to edit.

I think if you had not used the Administrator Account, you would have received an error message from Adobe.

Perhaps an Uninstall/Install is in order now, rather than trying to determine what went wrong.

Download the Flash Player Uninstaller and SAVE it to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then Download the Flash Player Installer for IE and SAVE it to your Desktop. Use the EXE Installer

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Then Close all browser windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.

Disable Norton, and Disable any instant messenger services such as Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc. from the system tray(area near the clock)

Run the Uninstaller and when finished, Reboot(restart) the computer.

Now check and make sure Norton is still Disabled.

Then Run the Installer for IE, when finished, Reboot the computer.

Now reenable what you Disabled. Then use the test site and see if you can see the Flash Player logo animate.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you recommended, believe it was your last idea at the time.  I uninstalled, then reinstalled. Did the test but there was no animated Red box., also was an image I could not preview.  I saw where possible I could uninstall IE9 and restore the previous version. Think I will do that. I just hope I don't create more problems. What do you think?  For others here are instructions. Go to start button then the windows update, then go to where says check for  installed updates on leftside at bottom,  then  l on right side go to topic  Ms Windows and then should see in list IE 9 from their guess you just remove it.

What do you think. I haven't done it yet. will wait for a reply on this before I try. But once if I do , if I can't get IE9 going then will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok we're back to the thread, good:-) Well I don't understand what is blocking the Shockwave Flash Object from working. Did you check to see if it Installed in the manage addons and if enabled?

If it is, then something is blocking it from working. What version of Flash Player is Installed now?

Use this test site this time for info.

I do have info on Uninstalling IE9 and reverting back to IE8. The only thing is I have to be off the Forum until later this evening(grad. party)

You may find info here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum

Also: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

I would follow those instructions and if possible disable any realtime anti-virus to avoid any conflict.

I'll check back in later this evening.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had the chance to see reply i made to the thread, i went ahead and changed back to EI8 so I could view my movies.  but still I could not find the flash player listed on my computer. I did install again, and some where along the line I saw the version 10.+ maybe it was on the test but only shows a blank box with small red x in cornor like something prevented it from opening??  but cant seem to locate it now as well the test does not show the floating red sign. as for as shockwave don't think I have downloaded that one, just flash player. But will try to down load it now in IE 8 since that is what I have nowfin How to I find or where do i go to find manage add ons.?

so now i don't know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for the delay. Use IE and go up to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show" (light text) look in all addons or run without permission for Shockwave Flash Object. Make sure it's enabled and it should be version 10.3.181.23 for IE.

Then test again. Can you see the Flash Player logo animation?

Shockwave Player is different than Flash Player.  Let's take care of Flash Player first.

Let me know,

Thanks,

eidnolb

EDIT: In Programs & Features you should see Flash Player listed.

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add'l info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, check it, was correct version , is late so don't remember if was disable but I did make sure and enabled it. ran the test and did find.

To: lester wilson <wilson32086@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:11 PM

Subject: Unable either to install or use Adobe flash player v10+

Hi, sorry for the delay. Use IE and go up to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show" (light text) look in all addons or run without permission for Shockwave Flash Object. Make sure it's enabled and it should be version 10.3.181.23 for IE.

Then test again. Can you see the Flash Player logo animation?

Shockwave Player is different than Flash Player.  Let's take care of Flash Player first.

Let me know,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to download couple more times but by time i got to  the attached screen would not do anything seem to just be stuck?

To: abc32086

Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:42 PM

Subject: Flash Player Unable either to install or use Adobe flash player v10+

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok the edit feature worked, glad of that.

IE9 has a feature that is the ActiveX Filtering. I haven't determined whether it's turned ON by default or not. But check it out.

A point about those using Win7 or IE9(final vs released 3/14). One of the features is called ActiveX Filtering. Win7 updated with a Service Pack 1. This Filter is included and now is with IE9 also.

To turn on ActiveX Filtering
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on a specific website
In Internet Explorer, click the Filter button in the Address bar, and then click Turn off ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on all websites
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

I know that this can prevent Flash Content from being displayed if it's turned on, but not sure if it can prevent an Install of Flash Player. I don't use Win7 nor IE9, so can't say. But I would have thot you would have received an error message from Adobe Flash Player if it did. Either way, you need to be aware of it.

Now on Norton, is this the NIS (Norton Internet Suite) and version 2011? Or is it the Norton 360?

Norton can interfere and block Flash Player, so we need to take care of that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth I had to turn on the "compatibility mode" on IE9 to see flash movies using 10.3. And the real pain was getting the clients to figure out how to turn it on their machines.....

Look for a little icon in the url bar shaped like jaws. Click that to turn it on and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks water bowl. Isn't it aggravating that you have to find out all of these new features the hard way? LOL You know when you think about it, we get instruction sheets/books with our TV's/DVR players/Blu-ray players, right? I want my instruction sheet for Updates and Upgrades.

Until then, we'll figure it out:-)

I know about that Compatibility View too....now:-)

Thanks for the comment!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines