Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

invalid JPEG marker type is found

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2008 Feb 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G5/dual/2.0ghz/3gigRAM/OSX10.52/CS2

"Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marher type is found."

I have a folder of hundreds of images I have collected from the web, all different sources.
Using BRIDGE. I opened up various groups of these images from their folder, not the main picture folder, selected ALL, BATCH RENAMED them, for example, "Military000.jpg" Not all of them were jpegs. BRIDGE renamed them accurately as I wanted.

But now there are several in each renamed group that will not open in Photoshop as before. I have viewed all of them in Photoshop, or PictViewer, or Acrobat. I know they are not all jpgs, now I want to open them all and save as jpg.

I grabbed the free utility FILEINFO, selected all the files, and changed the TYPE and CREATOR names. But Photoshop will not open them either through theOPEN dialogue, double clicking the file, or dragging the file over the icon in the DOCK.

What did Bridge do to these files?

John R

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>grabbed the free utility FILEINFO, selected all the files, and changed the TYPE and CREATOR names.

You cannot change a file type just by editing its Type and Creator. You actually have to open each one in Photoshop and save it as a different file type.

All you did was wreck the images by forcing them to masquerade as something they are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely there is a way to dig into the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can drag them over the Safari logo in Dock, they open.
Control+COPY IMAGE
In Photoshop:
command+N
Command+V
Flatten
Save As JPEG
OK

But heavens, I've got a few to do this way, drat.

Wonder what is missing, Safari opens them.
Wonder what identifier I could add somehow in BATCH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. After creating an image from Illustrator and editing it in photoshop I cannot save the pds as a jpg, nor can I open the file as a jpg. Further, if I save as TIF, I still cannot save it as a jpg.

Anyone---Any help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Is your image an 8-bit RGB image without layers?

The JPEG format does not support 16-bit, transparency or layers.

Will the file save as a JPEG if you go through "Save for Web and Devices" in Photoshop 10.0.1 (CS3)? That does the necessary conversions on the fly.

More details might help understand what your problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2008 Mar 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon-
As I learned, the file was 16 bit and therefore couldnt be supported as JPEG!
Viola!
Thanks for the knocker...
danM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2008 May 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been scanning photos into photoshop cs 8.0 and them saving them as jpegs. I am unable to reopen them in photoshop! I get the invalid marker error. I can open them in preview and resave as a jpeg, then they will open in photoshop.I have scanned in hundreds of photos and would prefer to not have to resave them all in preview. outside of all the time wasted I lose the preview thumbnail. Is there a way to get photoshop to reopen them? How do I save them inside of photoshop as jpegs so I can reopen them again???
Thanks

Wendy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wendy, you are running into the same issue as I. I wish I could help, but my issue was created when I changed the extensions of various images all at once, in Bridge. All I could do was reopen them one at a time in Photoshop. I still do not know what exactly Bridge changed in each file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wendy,

Restore the .jpg extension at the end of each file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone can help me. I have been using photoshop to automate contact sheets and saving them as jpegs. When I try and re-open them in photoshop (or any other program on my computer) I get the "could not open file because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker tyep was found".
The files are all .jpg files, 8-bit rgb with no layers.
Any suggestions gratefully received

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>"could not open file because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker tyep was found".

Assuming the .jpg extension is on each and every file:

Unfortunately, your files are most likely toast. That error message indicates a corrupted file.

As a last resort, try opening them in Graphic Converter and/or Apple's Preview, but don't hold your breath.

Sorry I can't give you better news.

Hope you have backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you neglected to include the .jpg extension, add it now to each and every file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am getting the same error alert when I try to open up a file that was sent to me through email. Under file properties it says that the file type is JPEG and that its an 8 bit message. I have tried copying it saving it from an online image, renaming it copying it from a simple viewer program and even had the person re-capture the image and send it to me again and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although in the past I have had this occur once in a while, recently I had hundreds of images become corrupt with the same message. At the same time, I was also getting an assortment of other error messages but all were stating about the same thing. The .jpg images could not be read. In addition, at this same time, (and from the same photo session,)

Most of my .tiff images became corrupt after I had converted them from RAW format. Along with about half of those of the RAW format were unreadable.

Of course the first problem I thought it was, was the digital camera, or the card reader or maybe the memory card.  Unless something very unusual took place on that day of photographing, there was and is nothing wrong with any of the camera devices.

After thinking for a bit, I realized I was also having the .tiff problem in other folders, with images that had been scanned and never came from a RAW format. After moving folders from one drive to another, (I thought it might be the external drive). I did some disc utilities on the external drive. (this is where I keep most working images before I burn all onto DVDs.

After doing the disc utilities and then defragmenting. I also ran Gary’s Utilities (the free version).

In addition, I cleaned up my folders and did basic house cleaning on that USB External drive.

Once all of this was completed, I stopped having the problem with any additional images. However, I do believe those that received the error message, along with the garbled .tiff and unreadable RAW images, well, I have as of now deleted all of them. (A virus? Who knows).

I have spoken to the customer support of the manufacture of my external drive, and he told me that nothing from a hard drive could cause this problem. I think I tend to believe these problems come from drives needing utilities done, a registry problem or things along that line. Just goes to prove, “Back up – Back-up and Back-up” This way you are always protected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i don't have a solution, but I did want to mention that I have the same problem.   Let's not overly complicate what is going on.  Photoshop can cost up to thousands of dollars depending on which version you have...and it will not open a simple .jpg file.  Period.  A major flaw exists within the program.  We don't want to waste hours about hours looking for workarounds.  ADOBE needs to fix this problem and send us all a patch, as well as a refund.  I am tired of using Paint and other free programs to view a jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with TomGroupA.

Apple Preview, free, opens these files like a charm.

Photoshop, $800, balks at 16 bit????? format it saves in?

What good is a super-duper high-end graphic editor with a bazillion bells and whistles that can't open a file?

Jay Gamel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hahahahaha... are you really basing a program's worth on its inability to open a particular file type?

What good is a super-duper... well I could hardly process all the photos I have for this exhibition system, and accompanying 48pp brochure, using only Preview! I'd soon be out of a job if I did.

I arrived here because I was getting the same error, not blaming Photoshop, but thinking it was more likely somebody had either saved or named the file wrong.

The Preview trick worked for me – exported as TIFF (export as Photoshop file didn't work), then opened it in Photoshop – job done.

Cheers you've made my day, in more ways than one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try open the image in any browser, then save it once more... (rtclick> saveas)

It will be cleared.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mediaonepro wrote:

simplest fix I've found is to open the image (jpg for example) in MS Paint

How is this particular suggestion helpful in the Adobe Bridge Macintosh forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually very helpful, and solved my problem! Like many Windows users I found this discussion through an internet search, and didn't realise I was in a Mac forum until I got to this message. It's not possible, and I don't think desirable, to keep these forums hermetically sealed off from one another -- we're all using the same suite of programs and even Mac and Windows users can help each other occasionally.

Tom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac users tend to help Windows users with replies like "Why do you want to do that".   I prefer the hermetically sealed!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I know that's the default position. If I'd realised I was in a Mac forum I would have baled out immediately. But I did find the solution to my problem!

Tom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer the hermetically sealed!

Why do you want to do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently been having a similar problem. Here's the scenario. I take a photo, upload them into iPhoto. I edit that JPG in Photoshop no problem. I'm usually taking out backgrounds and saving them as PSD files to keep layers. I'm then putting that PSD back into iPhoto for storage. Now here's the problem. When in iPhoto I right click on the PSD file and choose 'Edit in External Editor', Photoshop comes back with "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found". This only recently started happening and am not sure why. But its annoying.

Photoshop CS3 v 10.0.1

iPhoto '11 9.1.2 (605)

System: iMac, OS 10.6.7, 2 GHz, 2GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines