Skip navigation
mookie blaylock
Currently Being Moderated

Templates not updating. Is it a CS5 bug? Urgent.

Jun 12, 2011 8:58 AM

Hello,

I have two templates so far. index.dwt and products.dwt. products.dwt is a nested template child of index.dwt.

Changes to index.dwt are updating.

Changes to products.dwt are not

I am hopeful that it is operator error on my part, but have been troubleshooting for 3 days and can't seem to find the answer.

I have deleted everything from the editable region on products.dwt and tried to start over, but products.html remains unchanged.

The page not updating: http://mayakaimal.com/mayakaimal2/products.html

I am way behind schedule on this job, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

mookie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to mookie blaylock

We might need to see the templates.  If you can post them online as DWT files that would be great.

Additionally there are 2 invalid comments on your page and a missing div and I wonder if the invalid code is causing the issue with the template regions (eg: maybe DW is missing it because it's looking but because the code is invalid it can't see it).  You can see what I mean by running your page through the validator:

http://validator.w3.org/

2 invalid comments and one div tag is unclosed in somewhere in the body (counting now but it may take a few minutes). 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2011 12:48 PM   in reply to mookie blaylock

You have run some updates to the page from what I originally saw. There was originally a long comment like this that was coming up invalid:

<!-------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------word----------------------------------------------------- -------------->

I've tried playing around with the page and there is nothing that I can really see wrong with the structure of the template that would cause the issue.  I'll keep looking a little more to see if there's anything else that could be at the root of this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 6:12 AM   in reply to mookie blaylock

Just to add - nested templates are (in my opinion, and I think demonstrably) a bad idea.  I can think of no scenario I've encountered in over 13 years of free-lance development work that cannot be accomplished easier by using other approaches.  If you'd like me to elaborate, I'll be glad to....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Please elaborate, Murray.

Be good to get a definitive response from the Template Jedi.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 2:18 PM   in reply to John Waller

Nested templates are almost always used to cover one of the following three scenarios:

1. Sites with sections which require section-specific navigation on groups of pages.
    2. Sites with menus that need 'you-are-here' breadcrumbs.
    3. Sites with sections (or simply pages) that have different layout schemes.

Can you contribute any other scenarios?

#1 is easily managed without nesting your templates by using one of the following approaches (in order of descending utility):

1. Place the section navigation in an editable region.  Use a server-side include to drop the desired navigation element in to that editable region.
    2. As above, except use a Library item instead of SSI.
    3. Create a template conditional region that can toggle the display of the desired navigation element.

#2 and #3 are both easily handled with CSS.  The CSS can be embedded or linked in the head editable region.  To change the layout on the page, you can use the CSS to toggle the display and change the widths of various containers on the page.  To highlight the breadcrumb you can give each menu button a unique ID and use the embedded/linked CSS to change the color properties or the background images of those unique ID items.

Am I omitting your favorite application or solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 8:23 AM   in reply to mookie blaylock

That's always the best way to do it.  Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to mookie blaylock

I'm new to this too and trying to update an editible region not being able to figure out why when I update the main template the child pages aren't updating as well.

If you can't update with an editable region then how do I change from an "editable region" to whatever it needs to be changed to, what do I change it to? so frustrating

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points