Skip navigation
mattmayerchak
Currently Being Moderated

Commenting on Shared PDF

May 24, 2010 4:58 PM

Is it possible for people to comment on a shared PDF the way they can on a shared InDesign file? I've uploaded PDFs to my workspaces but I don't see any way to comment on them.

I saw a message somewhere on the Adobe support forum that said that people cannot edit PDFs online. I don't want to edit the PDF online; I just want them to be able to add notes to the PDF proxy that they see on Acrobat.com.

I have a PDF that a client sent me. I tried placing it into an Indesign CS5 file and posting that, but I couldn't add the file to a review. Why not?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2010 9:32 AM   in reply to mattmayerchak

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. At this time it's not possible to add comments to PDF files that have been uploaded to Acrobat.com. We are hard at work to make this functionality available, so I encourage you to keep your eyes peeled for future releases.

As to adding the InDesign file to a review, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to do so; let me make some inquiries and I'll repost here if I find a substantive answer. Thanks for your patience.

Best,

Rebecca

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2011 2:37 AM   in reply to Rebecca Staley

hi there, any news on this issue?

i dont see the point in this "not being possible", it kind of defeats the purpose of a shared common workspace, isnt it?
    or is there another solution to this at this moment i am not aware of?

best regards,

kk

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:22 AM   in reply to Rebecca Staley

Any update on this?

Seriously, you make a online collaborative tool and call it acrobat.com and it doesn't have the ability to comment on PDF files?

Am I in a bizarre nonsensical parallel universe?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:41 AM   in reply to Ronald Mexico

At this time the Adobe Reader and Acrobat software is the intended and designed software for commenting on PDF files as part of the review process.

As to the InDesign functionality, you cannot comment directly on a file uploaded but you can through the use of CSReview, part of the CSLive services that interact with Acrobat.com, reviews and comments are possible. While the file structure of a *.indd file is not able to be viewed directly within Acrobat.com, the CSReview option takes a form of screenshot and allows comments to be applied to that.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat.com/Using/WS9293e1fb3b977c5c-7ea25 777126bf9e9fa3-8000.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to Ronald Mexico

They don't appear to have improved this in CS 5.5 either.

This is why I chose not to renew my paid Acrobat.com account. It looked promising on first glance but nothing worked as well as it ought to have.

Another example:

I'm using an InCopy workflow via a DropBox folder with clients who need to edit my magazine layouts. One would think Adobe would offer their own cloud-based server for InDesign/InCopy users. But they seem to be pouring their resources into sexier features that are of little interest to the bread-and-butter, daily productivity tasks that would really save the users time and money.

The whole option of sharing a PDF seems to be useless at this stage of its implementation. If anyone can tell me how they have successfully used a shared PDF, please do - I'd like to know! I work with a lot of edited PDFs every day; only a few of my clients can or should use InCopy. So I would really like to find a better way to have multiple people commenting on the same PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:52 AM   in reply to Scott Worthington

> At this time the Adobe Reader and Acrobat software is the intended and designed software for commenting on PDF files as part of the review process.

That merely makes Acobat.com a nice front end for viewing PDF files, not actually doing any collaborating with them. You should have called it buzzword.com instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 12:15 PM   in reply to Ronald Mexico

Ich  verstehe kein englisch !  Bitte nicht  mehr schreiben .

Edel sei der Mensch , hilfreich und gut !

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:53:17 -0600

To: jelli1harald@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Commenting on Shared PDF Re: Commenting on Shared PDF

At this time the Adobe Reader and Acrobat software is the intended and designed software for commenting on PDF files as part of the review process.

That merely makes Acobat.com a nice front end for viewing PDF files, not actually doing any collaborating with them. You should have called it buzzword.com instead.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 3:29 PM   in reply to jelli1harald@hotmail.com

Wie schade. Vielleicht sollten Sie einen englischen Klasse und etwas lernen.

Ich  verstehe kein englisch !  Bitte nicht  mehr schreiben .

Edel sei der Mensch , hilfreich und gut !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points