Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

copy and past image into another box same size and location

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CS5 Mac

Have a lage document with portraits - 1 of the portraits needs to come out and need to shift them over. In Quark you could copy and past image into another image box and get same scale and X&Y location. I have tried the direct selection tool copied the image and paste into the empty box next to it but the scale is off.

Is there a work around this in Indesign.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a workaround, but a tool: use Edit -> Paste in Place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Past in Place pastes in on top of the original image and not in the box that I want to paste it into

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I misunderstood entirely. Nevermind! I try to avoid scaling raster images in ID, so I have no idea whatsoever how you'd do this, or if it's even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. Why not just move the image in the existing frame? You don't have to move the frame to move the content inside it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is: In Quark you could copy and past image into another image box and get same scale and X&Y location. I have tried the direct selection tool copied the image and paste into the empty box next to it but the scale is off. IS there a way for InDesign to copy an image and past it into a new box and have the same x & y and scale size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to get the scale to change when I paste into, but I haven't tried really hard. You'd have to do something atypical for scale to change, or do something after you paste. When you paste into another frame, the content should be centered.

But I will ask again. WHY do you need to paste into a new frame? It sounds to me as if you need to either crop the image or shift it in the existing frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to copy one image and paste it into another box and get the same X&Y coordinates and have the image scaled the same. In Quark it was a copy and paste. In InDesign from all the different posts on this issue it doesn't look like you can. Checking if anyone has a way to do this or if InDesign is adding this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign, thankfully, is not Quark. If you would explain clearly what you want to accomplish, we could tell you the best way to do it in ID. And tell us which version you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps our intrepid original poster is unfamiliar with InDesign's handy Fit Content to Frame and Fit Frame to Content tools...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our intrepid original poster is being very patient and polite yet nobody is helping. It is very true that Quark will easily handle moving imported graphics around by allowing them to be cut from one frame and pasted into another without losing track of the original image directory. This saves a the work of re-importing and "fitting to frame" which isn't necessarily how the image has been sized anyway! I would love to learn if InDesign can handle this because it would simplify the job considerably if a situation occurs such

as the orignal poster described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe there is anything new to say...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2011 Jul 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Joel says is explained:

http://indesignsecrets.com/how-frame-fitting-options-affect-paste-into.php

Using the eyedropper tool on the frame of the source picture can fix it.

I have been struggling with this issue as well.

As proposed using the selection tool and "paste into" seems to do the job.

However it paste the entire frame into the new frame, which is not always what you want.

A clever person made a script (I cannot find his name) which do the job (behind the scene it pastes into and removes the original frame):

___

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5"
    activate
    set mydoc to active document
    set myFrame to selection

--make sure there is a selection
    if myFrame is {} then
        display dialog "Select a frame and try again"
        return
    end if

--make sure the frame has been copied
    try
        paste into
    on error
        display dialog "Clipboard is empty, copy a frame with an image and try again"
        return
    end try

--the pasted item
    set myItems to all page items of item 1 of myFrame

--test for a frame with an image 1 means an image or an empty frame
    if (count of myItems) is 1 then
        delete item 1 of myItems
        display dialog "Copy a frame with an image and try again"
        return
    end if

--item 2 is the image
    select item 2 of myItems
    copy
    --delete the image's frame
    delete item 1 of myItems
    --select the original frame
    select myFrame
    paste into
end tell

___

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit>Paste Into

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you are asking. I am a long time user of Quark and this cut and paste of content of a picture box is very useful but doesn't quite work the same in InDesign.

In Quark you simply have to cut and paste the content from one box into another - the paste replaces the original content immediately.

I have discovered that in InDesign you can cut as usual the content from your first picture box, but after selecting the target picture box you need to firstly delete the file that is there and then use 'Paste into…' which is ALT & CMD & V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS1 you could do it but in newer versions you need a script. If you try to copy an image from frame 1 to frame 2, and frame 2 is inside the copied image's bounds, pasting into positions the image to the original bounds:

start.png

pasteinto.png

The script puts the image at the same bounds relative to the target box, which might be preferable:

script.png

If the target frame is outside of the original's bounds then the image gets centered, which might force you to reposition the image:

outside.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Do you still have your earlier version of the script available for CS4?

The above works great in CS5 but for IDCS4 it comes up with the dialog "Copy a frame with an image and try again"

Much Appreciated,

GreenRookie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this for CS3 or CS4. With CS5 images are page items, but in CS3 they were in a seperate graphics class, which is why the CS5 script breaks.

This version works the same way, with the black Selection tool you need to select the source frame, select the destination frame and run the script

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS3"

activate

set myDoc to active document

set myFrame to selection

--make sure there is a selection

if myFrame is {} then

display dialog "Select a frame and try again"

return

end if

--make sure the source frame has been copied

try

paste into

on error

display dialog "Clipboard is empty, copy a frame with an image and try again"

return

end try

-- check for page items inside of the pasted item

set myPasted to all page items of item 1 of myFrame

--if there are none it's an image so delete and show message (this changes in CS5 where a page item can be an image)

if (count of myPasted) is 0 then

delete item 1 of myFrame

display dialog "Copy a frame with an image and try again"

return

end if

--the selection is now the the frame we pasted into, so select the inside frame

select item 1 of all page items of item 1 of item 1 of selection

cut

--paste in place gets the correct position

paste in place

--get the temporary paste which we need to delete

set temp to selection

--in CS3 to select an image it's item 1 of all graphics and not page items

set selection to item 1 of all graphics of item 1 of temp

--cut the image, delete the temp and paste into

cut

delete temp

select myFrame

paste into

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works great for me and I hope it will help others using CS3 or CS4.

Thank you so much Rob!

GR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The perfect simple solution from emmet_h. As another traveller from Quark I was puzzled by how to do this simple task but you have solved it for me. Thank you.

As an afterthought and as a new poster. Why when asking for advice from others are some posters so rude? Design may be a pressured business but still no excuse imo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went for a search looking for this same solution, and I can't believe how rude people are.

Let me elaborate... I started using the first version of Pagemaker in 1987, switched to Quark from about 1998 until about 7 years ago when I switched using InDesign. Yes, I've been doing this for 30 years, I have master's degree in publishing, own my business, and pay a mortgage doing it. Now, anyone want to give me a hard time as to why I wish to do the exact same thing the "intrepid" OP did?

What a barrel full of jerks with a very overinflated sense of their own abilities...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And so to make your point that other people are rude you start calling people jerks.

Yeah, that's the world sucks today. Congrats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ganging up on and bullying someone who is seeking a solution to a simple question is what sucks.

Standing up to bullies does not make the world suck -- unless you're a bully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the answer I was looking for, thank you!

I have discovered that in InDesign you can cut as usual the content from your first picture box, but after selecting the target picture box you need to firstly delete the file that is there and then use 'Paste into…' which is ALT & CMD & V.

By @emmett_h

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2015 Jan 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also shocked by how rude some people were in their responses to the OP's question. Aren't we all civilised professionals here?

I've recently switched from Quark XPress to inDesign CC2014. This forum was started 3.5 years ago and STILL there hasn't been any simple solutions shown here. It's a basic and common step needed.

I tried using 'Paste Into' but it won't highlight.

This is a real pain as I cut and paste from picture boxes into new picture boxes so many times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines