• Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

What version of InDesign are you using?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2011 8:16 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

It sounds like you only have version CS5 (7.0.x), not CS5.5 (7.5.x).

CS5.5 .indd files cannot be opened in CS5. Your friend will have to export and send you a .idml file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

Sorry, but that error is indicative of trying to open a CS5.5 file using an earlier version.

Where did you check the version?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

Hi Guido,

Your friend would need to do that. It's under File > Export... and he'd ahve to choose Interchange (.idml) for the type of file to export.

However, if you are really running the trial of 5.5, there is something seriously wrong. Are you able tr create, save and open other files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 2:24 PM   in reply to guido.bissig

Just had the same problem. I have 5 and 5.5 on my computer. I never uninstalled 5, so the program was trying to open it with 5, therefore giving errors. Go to file, Open With and select 5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 4:28 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

Hi,

I have very similar simptoms to the ones described in the original post. However, I only have InDesign CS5 (7.0).

Here is what happened:

1. Some months ago I installed InDesign CS5.
    2. I created a new document (.indd) and everything was fine.
    3. Then for some longer time I didn't do anything with InDesign, except for allowing it to install automatic updates.
    4. Today I wanted to update the document I created earlier, but upon opening the document, InDesign tells me that the plugin "SHAREDCONTENT.RPLN" is missing. When I click OK, it then lists the following plugins that should be updated and the document won't open:
      • TEXT.RPLN
      • GENERIC PAGE ITEM.RPLN
      • GRAPHICS.RPLN
      • XML.RPLN
      • HYPERLINKS.RPLN
      • FORMFIELD.RPLN
      • DOCUMENT FRAMEWORK.RPLN
      • DYNAMICDOCUMENTS.RPLN

I checked for updates online and InDesign tells me that I have the latest version installed (7.0.4). I have Windows 7 (64-bit).

Any ideas on how to open my document? And again - I don't have CS5.5 and never had.

Thanks!

Juris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 4:39 AM   in reply to JurisOlekss

Somebody opened and saved that file with CS5.5.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 1:12 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

You were right. Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to guido.bissig

I'm having similar issues.  I have CS5.5 w/ the latest update.  I opened a document from CS5 today and saved it to 5.5.  When I go to open it later, plugins are missing, this after I already received these warnings, updated the plugins, and now only "missing" SHAREDCONTENT.RPLN.  When I open the converted file, it opens another instance of InDesign 5.5 and the plugin warning comes up again.  I think they screwed something up in this last update...  This is preventing me from completing my work...not happy about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 12:58 PM   in reply to c.teter

Did you install any third party plugins in CS5.5?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

No...never have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to c.teter

Another instance of CS5.5?

That doesn't sound right.

Are you sure it's not opening CS5 instead of CS5.5?

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 1:55 PM   in reply to Harbs.

I'm double checking now.  Also appears I've lost my snippet library as it will no longer recognize it.  Having some issues here...

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 24, 2011 4:48 PM   in reply to guido.bissig

I had this exact same problem today with a file I just worked on four days ago that guido on the 4th was having. I went online to Adobe to get the latest update of the CS5.5 and I still had the same problem. It wasn't until I hovered over the icon in the dock that I realized I had a CS5 icon on the dock, not the CS5.5.  They both once were there but I decided to smoke one and leave the other. Problem was I apparently ditched the wrong one.  They are identical so hence my mistake. All this supports the bad idea of using CS5 to open a CS5.5 document.

This also supports the idea that computers are dumb and people can be dumber. All troubleshooting techies will tell you to check the nut behind the keyboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 10:49 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

Got the same error today, I guess someone sent me a file in InDesign 5.5, but I only have 5.0.  This is pretty annoying.  1) Instead of a missing plugin error, you'd think that the program would be able to tell you why you are getting the error, and 2) files from a program with the same version number should play nice with each other instead of forcing everyone to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 1:31 PM   in reply to apreble

Really Adobe?!? Really?

As it is I have a client that uses CS2, so I have to keep a copy of indesign3, 4 and 5 just to be able to interact with them. Even then they get an export, that I can't open to make sure it works. Now I suppose I'll need 5.5 and all the previous versions. At least tell me 5.5 can be exported directly to 4, or am I going to need all four indesgn installs?

Very Quark like behaviour.

Oh, and thanks for the useful error message, who could have predicted that someone might try and open the file with older software? Why you'd have to be some kind of soothsayer…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to Niles Ridgeman

CS5.5 IDML can be opened in CS5 and CS4.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

The IDML file from InDesign 5.5 is crashing my installtion of InDesign.  It appears to start importing links but gets hung up around the same place.  Would a corrupt link be causing this error? I tried moving all of the links to see if that helps, but then it won't even start the import process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 4:44 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

ADOBE

(yಠ,ಠ)y

Y U NO MAKE *INDD FILES RETROCOMPATIBLE!

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2011 9:56 PM   in reply to apreble

The IDML file from InDesign 5.5 is crashing my installtion of InDesign.  It appears to start importing links but gets hung up around the same place.  Would a corrupt link be causing this error? I tried moving all of the links to see if that helps, but then it won't even start the import process.

Are you running InDesign 7.0.4 (the current version)? What operating system?

A corrupt link is not likely to cause this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 10:43 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

It was a corrupt tif file.  The last several tif files of the package were corrupted (wouldn't open in Photoshop or any other program), and once I replaced them with good versions of the files, the IDML file imported/loaded fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 6, 2011 11:44 PM   in reply to apreble

Well, good for you. I am glad I said "not likely" instead of "impossible"...

But I am confused. You said it would not import your IDML at all if the links were missing (because you moved them all aside)? That is not at all normal -- normally it should skip missing links and note them as missing in the Links panel after the import is complete. Is it possible I'm misinterpreting you?

Otherwise i worry about misdiagnosis...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 8:05 PM   in reply to YSURE

Agreed! I just ran into this nonsense trying to open a 5.5 file at home in 5. This file backward incompatibility is ridiculous, and has me ready to jump to another page layout solution.  If it's going to be this way, we should have a way to choose IDML as our default file format. What a total waste of my time. Thanks, Adobe, for making it NOT happen. And, no, I won't be subscribing to anything soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 7:46 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

This is INFURIATING, Adobe.  I have to keep every version of Creative Suite back to CS2 on my machine in order to work with my various print suppliers.  To hear now that CS5.5 documents will not open in CS5 makes me want to use an alternative product.

This must be addressed at some point.  I appreciate that there are inconsistencies and new features with each version.  But why can't this be handled like Illustrator?  ie. backsave to an earlier specified version.  Having to backsave to CS4 in InDesign CS5, then open the IDML file in CS4 and backsave to INX, then open up in InDesign CS3...  Totally pathetic for a product that costs thousands and is supposed to be for professionals.  Paaaahhh!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 7:58 AM   in reply to sibyuk

Good luck with your search for another professional product that can do what ID can do and allows you to open files in any version. Let us know what you find.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to sibyuk

sibyuk wrote:

...  supposed to be for professionals.

I am a professional user of InDesign and I've never had to backsave. Perhaps because I only deal with other professional users of InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

And professional printers.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 16, 2011 8:53 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Umm, Jongware?

I am a professional user of InDesign and I've never had to backsave. Perhaps because I only deal with other professional users of InDesign.

Isn't it a bit more likely that it's because you're still stuck on...CS4?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 9:09 AM   in reply to guido.bissig

Woah, claws back in!  My favourite print supplier still uses CS3.  They cannot afford to upgrade every six months in this economy.  I've had to move to a press-ready PDF workflow with them because it is infuriating.  But last-minute, simple edits are not so easy to manage as a result.

I moved away from Quark because InDesign was (and still is, in my opinion) a better product.  But this issue, for me, is the one fly in the ointment.  It's incredibly frustrating and causes all of my, ahem, professional friends to groan in much the same way I do.

Now one of my clients has moved to CS5.5 and I am on CS5 for the time being.  One big headache for everybody concerned.  It is ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 9:38 AM   in reply to sibyuk

sibyuk wrote:

Woah, claws back in!  My favourite print supplier still uses CS3.  They cannot afford to upgrade every six months in this economy.  I've had to move to a press-ready PDF workflow with them because it is infuriating.  But last-minute, simple edits are not so easy to manage as a result.

Every six months? CS3 is what, 5 years old, now. And the upgrade cycle was 18-24 months in those days, not six months, and even now the announced acceleration is to 12-month upgrades. I think it's far more likely they didn't want to shell out for an Intel Mac.

In any case, those of us who need to work with printers who are stuck on CS3 (and yes, I am one of those people, too, for one of my favorite printers who happens to send me a fair amount of work and I need to send back files that they can edit in future) have two choices. Work in CS3 or switch to the PDF workflow. There's really no reason at all why you would want to work in CS5.5 if you have to share the native files with a CS3 user. Did you remove CS3 from your system?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to sibyuk

I don’t do much print work anymore, but if my life depended it, on it I couldn’t tell you what version of InDesign any printer had available.

If they don’t take PDFs, they don’t get my work. Been that way for years.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 12:44 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Well no, we've upgraded to '5 and '5.5 because of ePubs. And, *of course*, for the very occasional client who insists on handing in self-made documents. A practice, by the way, we at the office strongly discourage. I f you can make a document in InDesign you can create a press-ready PDF (even if it means me hanging on the phone and guiding the client through the required motions).

Personally I like to stick with The Evil I Know, CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 7:57 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I am a Professional Printer, as you can see from my screen name, and I am very fed up with the nonstop "pay to upgrade" hoops Adobe is always forcing us to jump through to stay in business.  I have four graphic artists that all have to be upgraded everytime Adobe, Quark, Microsoft, and any other company the produce software that our clients could be using, feels like making a small change to fill their pockets.  We have always taken pride in allowing our customers to be able to make the decision of which software program they want to use because only they know best what suits their needs.  It is almost to the point of having to decide between saying goodbye to a customer or say goodbye to a graphic artist because it takes about a years salary to be constantly upgrading software for upgrades that make silly changes almost nobody will uses just to be able to do basic printing, which is what a majority of professional print consists of.

If the upgrade in a software is not big enough to merit a whole number jump (ie 4 to 5 to 6) then it shouldn't be enough to force us to pay to upgrade. And the trick of saying the fractional upgrade is so monumental that it can't be made backward compatable within a whole number version is purely a money issue and that just isn't right.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to ProfessionalPrinter

While I sympathize with your situation, I think you should take a clue from the post by Jongware just above yours. PDF is the way to go. Tell your clients to submit PDF and the entire problem of version disappears. As a designer I've been submitting PDF for years and wouldn't consider sending native files to a printer anymore. My favorite printer stopped upgrading at CS3, but I send him PDFs from CS5.5 and they have no issues printing those at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 8:09 AM   in reply to ProfessionalPrinter

Sorry, but while I sympathize, software and hardware upgrades are a cost of doing business. And you're either way overpaying for software or way underpaying graphic artists if it takes a year's salary to pay for upgrades.

I concur with Peter and in fact, I couldn't tell you what, if any, version of InDesign a printer has. Any modern (professional) printer should be requesting PDFs.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points