Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Paragraph Return vs Forced Line Break in a nested style

Jun 16, 2011 11:04 AM

I need some clarification, if I want a style to run through to a Paragraph Return, does the Forced Line Break accomplish the same thing?

That is, there is no option for Paragraph Return in the Nested Style dialog box only a Forced Line Break.

Am I missing something?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to GeofferyH

Well, usually a nested style is used to style some part of a paragraph, not the whole thing.If you just have the one nested style applied, and it starts at the beginning and runs all the way through to the end of the paragraph, then why don't you just add those characteristics to the paragraph style itself?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Or, maybe you can offer a slightly more involved description of what you're trying to do, if I completely missed it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 12:53 PM   in reply to GeofferyH

It looks to me like you don't need the second nested style. Your paragraph style should be in Regular anyways, and the reason that it seems to work through one forced line break, even though there isn't one, is that the second nested style gets applied all the way to the end of the paragraph. Think of it this way: you define your paragraph style as what you want the whole paragraph to look like, and you use a nested style if you need one divergence from the paragraph style at the beginning of the paragraph, two nested styles if you need two divergences at the beginning, and so on. So - you don't need nested character styles to describe the whole paragraph, just the parts that should look different from the paragraph style.

If you kill the second nested style, what happens to your layout?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points