Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

spiral stairs in illustrator

Jun 16, 2011 9:06 AM

hello illustrators.

is there a way to make this in illustrator using its 3d features:or what would be the most appopriate way to do so.it seems a bit complicated.

4631254-isolated-3d-spiral-staircase.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to inquestflash

It would be very time consuming as you would have to use 3d transform >> extrude on each step. After all that to get a global light on all steps as a group, is not possible. Illustrator has some 3D capabilities, but is not suited for this task.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 10:58 AM   in reply to inquestflash

You could use the perspective grid to construct this. But it will be somewhat cumbersome

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 8:00 PM   in reply to inquestflash
    It would be very time consuming as you would have to use 3d transform >> extrude on each step.

Exrude a single rectangle. Make a few copies of the result. In each copy, alter the rotation about one axis..

After all that to get a global light on all steps as a group, is not possible.

...leaving all other parameters (including lighting) unaltered.

Then make a specified steps Blend. Then attach the Blend to a path. Make the result a Symbol. Step & repeat the Symbol Instance using Transform Effect.

About 15 minutes in CS3 on a 4-year-old cheap laptop:

With a little more geometric care and forethought to initial lighting, the same method could produce something quite similar to your example.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 5:29 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Clever, James, but the whole thing needs perspective.

I did this using Dimensions many moons ago (this is half of a stereoscopic pair)

spiralstair.jpg

Adobe needs to make a serious effort in getting Dimensions up and running again.

This was so easy of yore, but alas now nearly impossible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 5:43 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn
    Adobe needs to make a serious effort in getting Dimensions up and running again.

Yeah, been saying that since 3D Effect first appeared, Steve. Funny, I seem to recall someone saying something like: "but [Dimensions] is Dead, Dead, Dead so why keep on harping about it?" ;-)

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 6:33 AM   in reply to JETalmage

O.k. James you got me :-)

Seriously though, I never understand why Adobe discontinued Dimensions.

O.k., someone said that they never owned it in the first place and were only selling it under license.

But the knowledge is there, so why can't they produce their own decent 3D programme for vector output?

How much longer are we expected to put up with Auntie Illie's spastic 3D third leg?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 7:36 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn
    Seriously though, I never understand why Adobe discontinued Dimensions.

It wasn't popular enough.

O.k., someone said that they never owned it in the first place and were only selling it under license.

Those who perpetuate that myth are confusing Dimensions with Streamline. Adobe had to build LiveTrace anew, because it didn't own the Streamline code. Adobe does own Dimensions code; 3D Effect is a subset of it.

But the knowledge is there, so why can't they produce their own decent 3D programme for vector output?

Did. It was Dimensions. (Bears a striking resemblence to conceptually-similar Satellite 3D which pre-dated it; don't know if there is a connection there.) But again, it just wasn't sellling well enough for Adobe. So it can be said that the customer-base 'made the decision.' Just like the customer-base perpetuating AI as the "market leader," even when it continually lags decades behind competitive applications in important functionality.

First time I saw 3D Effect, I argued (to Adobe) that:

• I would much rather have a compatibility-updated Dimensions simply bundled with AI. I even suggested its being delivered as a "jump-to" adjunct to AI, just as ImageReady was to Photoshop at the time.

• The single-orientation of the objects was absolutely debilitating; far more important than the the gains of its merely being implemented as a "live effect," which was all the hoopla.

How much longer are we expected to put up with Auntie Illie's spastic 3D third leg?

How long must we put up with AI still not providing user-defined drawing scales? Or live shape primitives? Or decent text handling? Or....The list is still quite long. Blame the users.

3D effect does have a handful of unique advantages, most noteworthy being the ability to blend between parameters; which was the point of my demo post. People often dismiss 3D Effect too quickly.

Thing is: Just because the addicted-to-mediocrity majority of users doesn't appreciate the value of something at a particular time, doesn't mean it won't ever. For examples, look no further than multiple pages or 2D perspective grid. Those features and many more were done in almost identical ways in FreeHand decades earlier. The really astonishing aspect of it all, though, is the rabid nay-saying defensiveness of the AI-devoted throughout that time.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2011 8:48 AM   in reply to inquestflash
    wow dude thats swift technique right there.maybe you can do a quick tutorial on this...hello jet,is there a possibility you can do a vid tut on those spiral stairs and upload it to youtube maybe?,im really keen on seen how...im jsut trying to figure it out all though u have posted the tutorial here...

Okay. I'm going to say it and become everyone's enemy (again).

Inquest, this is not intended to beat you up personally; it's a general rant to the forum community at large.

Look: People come here and ask for help, usually simply because they haven't read the instructions. That's tolerable to some degree.

But even while asking for others to donate time to help them out, they themselves are in such a "hurry" that they type without punctuation. That just drives me nuts. It's just like saying "Hey, dude, my time is way too valuable to be spent self-studying the program. In fact, my time is too valueable to even take the time to communicate my need clearly. So how 'bout you donating your worthless time to teach me this program?"

Again, I know that is not your intent. But I, for one, find it so annoying that I quite often intentionally pass right over sloppily-typed posts without responding. I'm probably not the only one. I'm just the one who's "rude" enough to say it.

Even worse, such people do this throwing in a bunch of adolescent web-speak; lower-case "i," silly abreviations like "u." That crap ostensibly started in the early days when the self-proclaimed "geeky" who spend so much of their precious time typing online that they just can't be bothered with the king's english, thereby demonstrating to all their high degree of "web savvy." Yet they manage to find time to add gratuitous emoticons and millions of exclaimation points or question marks.

But that jig has long been up. It doesn't impress anyone. It's just irritating.

,is there a possibility you can do a vid tut

I don't do video tutorials. I despise them. They almost always put me to sleep before they get to the point. Very inefficient way to communicate technical instruction.

...the 2nd step i cant understand...

1. Rectangle Tool: Draw a rectangle.

2. Apply 3D Effect>Extrude & Bevel. Select the Front default orientation.

3. Duplicate the object.

4. Appearance palette: DoubleClick the 3D Effect listing to edit the effect's parameters.

5. Rotate the proxy cube 90 degrees about its vertial axis, either numerically or by dragging one of its vertical edges. Don't change any other parameters.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 three more times.

7. Select all 5 objects and create a Blend. (Blends are not limited to those having only two key objects.)

When doing such rotations, the reason it's advisable to create "key" objects at 90 degree increments is, 3D Effect often equates angles of 180 degrees or greater with their complements. Using 90 degree increments also makes it easier for the user to keep track of what is actually going on.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Sep 16, 2011 6:27 AM   in reply to inquestflash

It sure is typical stuff not easy.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to Edsalltm

Actually it's pretty simple, but a little laborious when finalizing.

http://www.vektorgarten.de/img/tut/stairs-making-of.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 12:29 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

inquestflash,

I'm not sure how you got what you have at C.  In B is each step rotated an additional 90° from the preceding one (0°, 90°, 180°, 270°, 360°) or are the third and fifth duplicates of the first, the fourth a duplicate of the second? Should be the progressive rotation. After you've replaced the spine, have you tried Reverse Spine and/or Reverse Front and Back? C should look something like:

Snap-2011-09-17-23-05-33.png

Are your steps in B in the same stacking order in the Layers Panel as the rotation order above, bottom to top? The blend won't work right if the elements of it are in the wrong order.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points