Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

9.4.5 BUG.  Can't Multi-select Pages anymore!!!!

Jun 16, 2011 9:05 AM

Confirmed on all 4 Adobe Acrobat 9.4.5 users at my org since the update yesterday.

Before, if you held the CTRL Key, you could select multiple pages in the Pages Pane to Delete/Extract/Ect.

THIS NO LONGER WORKS! And we use that functionality A LOT.

What is the best way to get this info to the powers that be?

-Sam

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Jun 16, 2011 9:49 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

I concur. This no longer works.

You can still select multiple pages with the mouse, but that doesn't help

when you want to select non-consecutive pages.

You can report this as a bug here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Jun 16, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Do you have a problem with going back to a previous version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Actually, you probably could not patch a re-install to 9.4.4.

A system restore would set you back prior to the 9.4.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 5:24 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Same problem here.  I had a restore point before the 9.4.5 update, so I rolled the system back, then I turned off the auto update. I wish Adobe would fix the bugs without creating more.  Maybe they just want to force people to upgrade to Acrobat X.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

I can also confirm the 9.4.5 bug.  I'm using Acrobat 9 Std and Windows 7 Pro.  Multi-select works normally in Acrobat Std 9.4.4 installed on an identically configured Windows 7 Pro laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 6:57 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

confirmed this bug is still in effect. I do multiple selects many times a day so this bug is not huge in terms of fuctionality but a big break on working speed.  There is no work around i have found, you just have to right click and them type in page numbers to select multiple pages. 

It is more of a problem when i need to rearrange pages and have to do it one page at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 7:30 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

This report sealed my decision NOT to apply the 9.4.5 update. I had tried before after a loused-up windows update fiasco. When I tried to start Acrobat 9 Pro after applying the update, I got an error message that said Acrobat was unusable. I had to uninstall and reinstall Acrobat 9 Pro from the CD and apply all the updates in sequence. Talk about an ugly scenario!! Yuck!!!

Ken Friedman

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

working with xp, my workaround was a xp system restoration to the state before update.

meanwhile I open "risky" PDF-files with the parallel installed fresh updated Reader X ...

german support confirmed this bug and told to wait for next update ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 5:30 PM   in reply to Pit G.

A system restore is how I got out the mess I was in. Basesd on wht you say, I'll

not apply the 9.4.5 update.

Ken Friedman

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 5:20 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Confirmed on Acrobat Pro 9.4.5/ Win7

Just raised a discussion on this too - then saw this one. (Have removed my one now)

I've got an upgrade to CS 5.5 waiting - was only putting it off due to testing my custom Actions/settings. Time to jump onto 'X' I think...:)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to DanconKP

I am not going to spend one more red cent on Acrobat and reward Adobe for their lack of effective testing. As a long time Acrobat user and a former tester of software, it seems they do not do a good enough job regression testing their fixes to see if what they fix does not affect other parts of their product. I wonder how many other bugs are waiting for me if I upgrade to Acrobat X.

I really wonder if Adobe knows that there are a few good alternatives to Acrobat out there. And I do not want to discuss which ones are best.

Ken Friedman

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 7:30 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Definitely true.  Windows 7 32-bit or XP.  same problem.

When did this update come out?    i need to try a restore point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 3:22 PM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Same problem here - XP user. Very annoying

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Jun 21, 2011 3:54 PM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

SysAdminRoll2 wrote:

Not even sure Adobe is even aware of the situation yet

Did you report it using their online bug submission form linked to in the reply #1 and 2?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 4:23 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Yes they replied

Raymond Rocha

sent from iphone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 7:50 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Has anyone tried to run a repair under Windows add/remove programs. You can't just remove the lastest update but you can run a repair.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Same issues at my company which is an huge deal for what we use acrobat for.  What a joke.  Who's doing the testing at Adobe?  Clearly nobody.  It looks like it's Bluebeam PDF Reviewer from now on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 12:12 PM   in reply to rrr9584

adobe said they know about the bug and are 'working on it'

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 6:09 PM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

I have tried to repair and it didn't work.  Since you can't select multiple pages, the print "selected pages" option is also gone.  Just as I go to print multiple books.  Will take me a lot longer without ability to select multiple pages.  big bummer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 8:02 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

I reported the bug yesterday and received the following response from Adobe:

"  Thank you for taking the time to notify us of this unexpected behavior after updating to Acrobat 9.4.5. This has been identified as a bug by our Engineering team.  They are hard a work adding a fix to be included in the next update.  There is no time frame for this patch to be released.

In the meantime if you are trying to manipulate contiguous pages you can drag the blue box around the pages and perform any action on the pages within the blue selection area. Of course this will not help to choose pages that are not nearby to each other.  We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have this issue resolved in the future."

If the updates aren't till September, that's going to be pretty bad as this is an important feature for our Firm.  I've already had to un-install and re-install to 9.0 for multiple users.  NOT FUN!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 8:39 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

I have a co-worker that uses Adobe 10. He is still able to group pages to be extracted, deleted, or copied to another file using the mouse and Ctrl key.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to CVN Raider

Confirmed.. On Acrobat 10.1 (latest update), selecting multiple pages with the mouse or keyboard using CTRL works without issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 1:20 PM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Exact same issue as OP.  Cannot select multiple pages in a PDF with CTRL or ALT.

These machines are running Vista 32-bit Enterprise with Adobe Pro 9.4.5

This is affecting over 1000+ users and needs a fix ASAP.

Any way we can make sure this is uplifted to the top?

PS - You can select multiple pages just using the mouse, but I realize that doesn't "fix" the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

Good luck trying to escalate this problem.  Seems like Adobe doesn't fix bugs reported by users any more.  Over a year I reported the thumbnail runoff problem (bottom thumbnails missing in thumbnail view), was promised a fix, then no action.  I even re-reported the bug, was promised a fix with the next release, then nothing. Other than the agent wasting my time apologizing for the inconvenience, I have seen no action on that problem. My best advice, roll back your systems to 9.4.4 and disable automatic update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 3:29 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

They are going to have to fix this one.  expecting everybody to upgrade is absurd.  I have 15 machines and there is no way i will do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 3:49 AM   in reply to PL21046

Over a year I reported the thumbnail runoff problem (bottom thumbnails missing in thumbnail view), was promised a fix, then no action.  I even re-reported the bug, was promised a fix with the next release, then nothing.

This bug is fixed in Acrobat X.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 7:45 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

I realize people are trying to help and that is appreciated.

However, just telling us to upgrade to version 10 is not an acceptable answer.

Along the lines of one of the first posts, does anyone know the best way to get this escalated?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 8:01 AM   in reply to SrArmyTech

Acrobat 9 is still supported by Adobe, and the problem discussed in this thread was caused by an Adobe patch. No one is going to purchase dozens or hundreds of Acrobat X licenses because an Adobe patch broke functionality in Acrobat 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 10:55 AM   in reply to SysAdminRoll2

The same problem exists on my Win 7 x64 machine. I will report the bug as suggested and fully expect Adobe to fix this. Breaking a program to 'entice' people to buy a new version is not just morally wrong, it may also be illegal...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to groston

Here is the reply I recieved from Adobe:

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of this unexpected behavior after updating to Acrobat 9.4.5. This has been identified as a bug by our Engineering team.  They are hard a work adding a fix to be included in the next update.  There is no time frame for this patch to be released.

In the meantime if you are trying to manipulate contiguous pages you can drag the blue box around the pages and perform any action on the pages within the blue selection area. Of course this will not help to choose pages that are not nearby to each other.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have this issue resolved in the future.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points