• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you switch between 64 bit and 32 bit? (Win 7)

Participant ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched here, Adobe Support, read the User Manual, and can not find any information on how one changes from 64 bit to 32 bit.  I am trying to create Time Lapse sequences and CS 5 tells me I have to be in 32 bit mode.  How do I get there? I am running an HP Pavilion dv7t-3300 i7 QuadCore with 4gb RAM and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

On Windows, you have to quit one before launching the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't follow. I'm reasonably sure it wants you to switch into 32bit image mode, which is unrelated to which version of PS you use. Just do Image --> Mode and that's it...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the 64 bit version of CS5 and when I try to load a sequence of images I am told that I need to switch to the 32 bit version of CS5.  How is this done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

close PS cs5 64bit and open PS cs5 in the start menu.....or in the Program File (x86)/adobe folder

Try again with the 32 bit version. I don't think you can switch to PS 32 bit within the PS 64 bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not finding a 32 bit version of Photoshop CS5 in the x86 software folder.  There is only a png file.  Nothing else.  Are there two download versions?  One 64 bit only and one 32 bit only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only using the cs5 trial version to date but I remember the installer giving me the option not to install the 32 bit version of PS. Which I did as I don't use 32 bit anymore.

My CS4 32 bit is in that location ( program files x86/adobe ) It should be the same for cs5 - but, can't say for definate.

Do a search for it and if it comes up blank try the installer again....it may have been missed first time round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The download includes the 32bit and 64bit versions. Maybe you only installed the 64bit version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To tell the difference:

In the Splash screen, it says Photoshop v12 32 if it's 32 bit and V12 64 if it's the 64 bit. To get to 32 bit, go to Programs (x86) Adobe> Adobe Photoshop C5 and scroll down to the PS application button, about 3/4 the way down the list. Click on that and when the splash appears, be sure it says v12 32 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what exactly are you trying to do and what is the error message telling you? it seems to me that Photoshop is talking about Image->Mode->32bits/channel and not the 32bit version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read entire thread.  I am discussing the fact that CS5 requires the 32 bit version to perform certain functions.  Looks like I need to reinstall and allow both versions to be loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to load multiple images into a single document as separate layers then simply use File->Scripts->Load Files into Stack which works just fine in the 64bit version of Photoshop. The File->Import->Video Frames to Layers command is for importing videos, not images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on Start. Choose all programs. Both will be listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched the and don't have a 32 bit version.  During

the download and installation, I might have not chosen to install the 32 bit version.

I think I will try to reinstall and see if in fact there is an option.  Based on my experience to date, it looks like one really needs to have both installed in order to have the maximum use of all the functions in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar concern here. No 64 bit version. I purchased the Photoshop CS5 downloadable upgrade. I  have installed the program but only see the 32 bit version. Image  / Mode shows 8, 16 and 32 bit versions and no 64 bit.

Start Programs offers only a single version of Photoshop which based on the splash screen is 32 bits. Did I miss something during the install?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows XP....is that the reason no 64 bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not the 64bit version of XP, then yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heirloom Bob wrote:

Windows XP....is that the reason no 64 bit?

Yes. Win XP is 32-bit.

These are referring to the operating system and application software and have nothing to do with Image modes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image mode has nothing to do with the program being 32bit or 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But an upgrade to Windows 7 would allow me to take advantage of the 64 bit version right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Providing you got one of the  64-bit versions of Win7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the answer.  I didn't install both versions of CS5.  I went back to the installer and found that in fact I had only installed the 64 bit version.  I went ahead and installed the 32 bit CS5.  So I now have both.  I imagine I can switch between them.  Which goes back to my original question.  How do you do this?  Can you do it from one version to the other from within CS5?  Or do you need to quit one before opening the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, you have to quit one before launching the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally - Thanks SG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching is all well and good. However why I have to run 32 for video is quite annoying. Will adobe ever put out an update to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines