Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menu bar is hidden by default - Reader X

Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After downloading the newest update for Adobe Reader X (10.1.0.534), opening a pdf from a browser in normal mode (not "Read Mode") forces us to press F8 to unhide the menu bar by default. We are using IE8.

I can't find any setting to stop this behavior. Is this by design? Because it is really annoying.

We have Display PDF in browser checked, but Display in Read Mode by default is unchecked.

Under Documents, I have unchecked 'Allow documents to hide the menu bar, toolbars, and windows controls'

And checked "Restore last view settings when reopening documents"

Any ideas? We would love to have every pdf opened in a browser with the menu and toolbars open by default.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have the toolbar open you can save a copy of the file. I've found that, when you open that copy, the toolbar opens with it.

Jim B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not going to work as the users who have this issue open many many pdfs a day. They are using a web interface to view pdf files and need the menu and toolbars to open with the files. I don't understand why this was changed. It worked fine before the previous update, which we were forced to do for security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing the same issue on most streamed PDF's resulting in no Toolbar.

We are using the setting with display in read-only disabled:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral]
"bBrowserDisplayInReadMode"=dword:00000000

We have to hit F8 to refresh the screen to see the toolbar.  This seems like a bug introduced in 10.1, as it works fine in 10.0.1 and 9.4.5.

Example of a file that does not work:

http://samplepdf.com/sample.pdf

Example of a file that works:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/reader/using/reader_X_help.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's a bug, sorry. It affects Reader X 10.1 and Acrobat X 10.1 (the latter running in Protected View or not). Changing your preferences has no effect.

The reason your first link fails to show the toolbar and the second one does, is that the second one's IV preferences are set to "document and bookmarks". As I've said in the past, any initial view setting which includes one of the side panes (bookmarks, thumbnails, etc.) will break out of Read Mode and force display of the full toolbar chrome. Unfortunately you can't set that globally in your app preferences, it's a per-document thing.

I know you don't want to hear it, but the "fix" right now is to press F8, which toggles the toolbar chrome on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue. Has anyone filed a bug report?

Any other workarounds other than pressing F8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when Reader v10.2 will be released and if this bug will be swatted in that rev? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem.  All you can do is go into Internet within Page Display Preferences and make sure both Display PDF In Browser and Display In Read Mode By Default are ticked.  Then you can make the toolbar switch between hovering near the bottom of the page or becoming pinned to the top of the page by pressing F8 - but you have to do this each time you open a document.  Seems like a bug with the update as you never used to have to do this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...as anyone found a proprer workaround? My F8 key is geeting a bit overused...

bugger...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really an issue.  We noticed it too and are going to wear out the F8 key.  Everything we generate in a pdf is either saved or printed.  Adobe, Please fix this in an update. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "proper workaround" - it will be fixed as part of the regular product update cycle. We knew about it from day one, many people have told us about it since then, but the details of forthcoming updates is not something Adobe confirms in advance.

To clarify the situation as it affects Acrobat and Adobe Reader 10.1:

• If you choose to display PDF documents in a browser using Read Mode (Preferences > Internet > Display in Read Mode by default) then when a PDF opens which does not set any panes, you will see the black HUD toolbar. Clicking the Trefoil icon on the HUD displays your full toolbars.
  • If a PDF document sets panes (initial view with thumbs, bookmarks etc. open) then Read Mode will never activate, and the toolbar will always show.
  • If a PDF does not set panes and you are not using Read Mode by default, there will be no toolbar. This is a bug.

As an example, turn on the Read Mode default preference and view this file, which has no pane settings. Compare it to this one, which sets the bookmarks pane, and you will see the different UI layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any know if this has been fixed on the 10.1.1 release?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything in the release notes for 10.1.1 about fixing this toolbar issue.

Can you confirm it was fixed with this release or will it be in a future release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck - I can confirm that the toolbar issues is fixed in v 10.1.1.  Adobe never mentioned that they broke it, so I guess they didn't feel the need to mention that they fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you change your settings to have the toolbar shown as default?

I still have to press F8 and haven't found anything that changes it under preferences.

Thanks Texas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Edit --> Preferences --> Internet --> untick the "Display in Read Mode by default" option.  Probably need to restart Acrobat and all should be the way it should be.  (I'm not a fan of the floating toolbar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I go backwards from 10.1 to 10.01?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines