Skip navigation

How to change Margins in PDF?

Dec 18, 2007 10:12 AM

Latest reply: Kh8ch, Dec 4, 2011 9:04 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2011 12:47 PM   in reply to (Erik_Little)

I found this forum in response to a query about a problem that I am having.  When I print my PDF file, margins are fine.  Then I duplex print, and the image seems to be shrunk, with wider margins.  As it is a tri-fold brochure, this is a real problem.  Any ideas what might be going on?  For now I will just print a bunch of page 1s, then put em back inthe printer for page 2.  The thing that I find really frustrating is that it worked fine on duplex a few weeks ago.  Must have set something wrong...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 1:43 PM   in reply to Luvslajolla

I agree, PDF is more commonly used as an active review tool.   We  need to change the margins of pdfs coming from different sources and versions.  We currently use 8.0 Standard, and receive 9.0X.  We create call-outs to indicate proposed changes.  When the received pdf has only .5 margins, the call-outs cover the text.  We purchased "Very PDF" which is not working well for us.  Since using Very PDF, we have problems with the documents "timing out" and not saving to our Interwoven Document Management System.  The users often loose changes when PDF freezes.

By the way, moving to 9.0 Pro made the situation worse.

Based on the contents of the posts, this is the first time I finally see a way to shrink the margins natively (i.e., without Very PDF).  It's cumbersome,  Now I'm going to try to locate someone that can help us "macro" these steps so I don't have to rely on 3rd party vendors who don't offer support.  Feel my pain!

If anyone can chime in on recommending someone to write the macro, I'd appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
  • DimitriM
    172 posts
    Dec 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2011 2:05 PM   in reply to TechPorVida

Hi TechPorVida,

Did you give the previously mentioned free automation tool "Resize Pages Tool" a try?  You can download it at-

http://www.pdfscripting.com/public/65.cfm

(Scroll down in the list for the one titled "Resize Pages Tool").

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

www.windjack.com

www.pdfscripting.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 4:01 PM   in reply to DimitriM

I did and its great.  I'll need to reviewe the script with a developer at

Interwoven to make sure it can't interfere with the Adobe/FileSite

integration (unless you know the answer.)  I'm purchasing an annual

subscription to PDFScripting.  The firm name is King, Holmes, Paterno &

Berliner.  That'll be me.  Can't thank you enough, this issue has been an

elusive sucker for a while.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to GKaiseril

I converted a Word doc into a .pdf, but my word doc is 1/4 page and it gives me a full page in pdf.  How can I make it a 1/4 page in .pdf as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to (Erik_Little)

Hate to promote some non-adobe product but *THE BEST* solution is a paid application called Quite Imposing, simple plug in that works.  NO, its not cheap but if you need to manipulate .pdf documents on a regular basis, this software will completely recreate (in a good way) the way you manage .pdf documents.  I cannot imagine trying to photoshop a .pdf just to shove the document .125 inches in any direction.  They do have a trial version of it.

My thoughts, if you have someone that versed in Photoshop they are netting a decent salary, stop wasting their time and save the wasted salary, buy QI once and move on.

I have no connections, ties, or any other gains to the company, just seen the software in action, truely amazing stuff.

I apologize about the promotion of non-adobe application but this is really what should be put into adobe out of the box!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 10:42 AM   in reply to kenjunior08

Dear Ken,

It looks like you also left me a PM on the Adobe forum.  Where do you buy

this software?

Regards,

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 10:48 AM   in reply to Richard Eger

Google it.  Direct from company, they are not in US.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:06 PM   in reply to kenjunior08

kenjunior08 wrote:

I apologize about the promotion of non-adobe application but this is really what should be put into adobe out of the box!

No worries. QI is a well known product around here (plus you need Acrobat to run it) and they've had someone from their company that used to visit here frequently that was very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to (Erik_Little)

I'm late coming across this question but it seems like it's on-going so I'll add my simple solution.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the problem is that when you print to PDF from other applications, the PDF's margins are too wide and "paper is wasted" when printing multiple page documents.

To avoid cropping, rotating, resizing, etc., go to Print, select the "Adobe PDF Settings" tab, and under the "default settings" option, select "Oversized Pages", then click "OK".

Now when you print to letter-sized paper, the margins will be wider and you will not have to adjust % and crop pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to (Erik_Little)

A PDF file is the one which can be easily accessed on any system irrespective of its configuration. You can improve the form of a PDF file by changing and customizing the margins, page size, page layout and the presentation of the content. u can easily crop the page in edit option but for more precise answer

http://www.techyv.com/questions/why-does-pdf-not-print-same-size-origi nal

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to (Erik_Little)

It must exist in previous versions too, but in Adobe X (ver 10) you can choose "Multiple Pages" or "Booklet printing" in the drop down box for Page Scaling when you have the Print dialog box open. This will print "2-pages-per-sheet" without the extra margin padding. You just need to take care that the printer thinks it is printing "Landscape" if you're printing 2 "Portraits" per page and vice-versa. The printer should still only print "1 page per sheet" and set to duplex (especially for booklet printing).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)