Skip navigation
JacobSato
Currently Being Moderated

Digital flip magazine w/ Indesign 5.5 - .swf size too large

Jun 19, 2011 10:39 PM

Is the only option to create an online digital flip book/magazine is to export to a single .swf file?  Can it create a digital book where the .swf files reads or pulls off the pages from seperate files such that the first page loads right away vs waiting for the entire magazine to load? If so, where can I get instructions for this?

Background:

Currently we are producing a digital edition online flip book from a print publication.  We are using InDesign 5.5 to create flip book and uploading the SWF file using .ftp for online viewing.

Problem:  The way we are making a digital magazine is by a single .swf file created by InDesgin 5.5.  The file is too large for fast download online even after compression.  The SWF file gets larger the more pages we ad.

Example:

www.pacificluxuryliving.com/online/6-3/Issue6.3DigitalEdition-compress ed-07.4MB.swf  (File size is 7.4MB compressed – 39 seconds to load)

Why compression is not an option:.  Even after maximum compression (1.5MB – 9 seconds to load) for fast download, quality gives out and is not acceptable.  (We used in additional optimization software - http://www.compress-swf.com/)

Example: 

http://www.pacificluxuryliving.com/online/6-3/Issue6.3DigitalEdition-c ompressed-01.5MB.swf

Other services that offer digital flip books will create a much smaller SWF file and load pages stored in separate files, therefore appears to load faster.  

Example of using subscription service: 

http://pacificluxuryliving.com/online/Issue_4.2/uniflip.swf  (4  seconds to load)

What are my options to create a digital flip using Adobe InDesign 5.5?  Is a .swf file containing all the data the only way Adobe InDesign can produce a flip book or is there a way to create similar to the other services?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2011 1:33 AM   in reply to JacobSato

There´s few ways how you can get smaller SWF file sizes from Indesign:

1) Avoid extracted PSD-images. AFAIK Indesign compresses them by using PNG, even if you have chosen JPG... and PNG is much more size consuming.

2) Avoid large and complex background etc. textures or other vector shapes (maps etc...) They contain a lot´s of information and it will bloat your SWF.

3) Avoid placed PDF, AI or EPS files, indesign will rasterize them during the SWF export. Rather open those files to Illustrator and

a) copy/paste content of them to indesign (works with quite simple files)

b) export them as SWF from Illustrator and place resulting SWF to Indesign...
            that way you won´t embedd the file to your main SWF, Flash Player loads your placed SWF dynamically at runtime.

This method works only with InDesign CS5 and CS5.5

If you want to split your document to more than one SWF, you will need some 3rd party tool to parse it up again.... something like eDocker2. I have seen some eDocker users to publish coverpage as preloader graphics (you can modify preloader animation with eDocker)... that way readers will see coverpage very fast and they can view it until rest of the magazine loads up... + You get lot´s of other features too like zooming, navigations etc, fully customizable user interface (buttons, bars, logo etc....)

Sample (not with separate cover): http://www.edocker.com/_demo/edocker-online-demo/index.html

eDocker website: http://www.edocker.com

eDocker is commercial product so you have to pay for it if you want to use it after Trial period, but there is no monthly, per issue or any other running fees... just the price of the license....

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Petteri_Paananen,

I had the same problem and going through your steps worked perfectly for me.

I had no idea that InDesign CS5 could take .swf files. Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to derekfeldman

Nice to hear that it worked for you....=)

You may want to read another thread from yesterday:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4372687#4372687

I´m telling there about technique which allows you to convert very large InDesign layouts to digital flip-page magazine by using InDesign´s ability to place SWF files.

eDocker will also release soon a tool that is meant for converting PDF files to SWF page by page and placing them to indesign layout automatically with correct poster and play on page load settings. That will make it possible to convert even 200-300 pages long PDFs to flip-page magazines in indesign. After conversion you can add interactive stuff on the top of the pages before exporting final SWF.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

I'm having a little trouble with this. When I place an .swf as a page, it doesn't auto-load. It brings up the symbol below:Screen shot 2012-05-03 at 9.53.06 AM.png

It loads fine if I click on the symbol, just not automatically. Is there a setting that I'm missing or something I need to do to make them autoload?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to derekfeldman

Open Window>Interactive>Media panel and make following settings

Kuvankaappaus 2012-5-3 kello 19.02.59.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Thank you, that worked perfectly and dropped my file size significantly!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to derekfeldman

Okay, ='[

It seems like even though it works perfectly, I won't be able to use it.

The end goal for this application is a web newsletter. The problem is that when I post the .swf frame of the document on my website, the links stay absolute.

Instead of going to the /pages folder on my site and pulling the page from there, it tries to go to my computer and find the link on the C: drive. Obviously, this is not working very well.

So do you know a way to set the source of the .swf file to the .swf on my website?

I've been researching, but all I've found has said "InDesign doesn't do relative links."

There are some workarounds to make InDesign's absolute links act like relative links, but I haven't found one that will work in my swf-in-swf-on-website setting.

I'm currently trying to make it work by running it through Flash, but we'll see how that goes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to derekfeldman

You can make relative links if you use buttons instead of hyperlinks. Use Go to URL action and write your relative path to URL field.

Kuvankaappaus 2012-5-3 kello 21.50.30.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

That won't work in this case. I am making a newsletter for my company:

http://www.ecigroup.us/groupfiles/interactiveinsider/flash_index/index .swf

So there aren't any buttons involved.

But still, you've helped me a lot. Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to derekfeldman

Do you mean that if you place SWF(s) into InDesign, export one main SWF and upload it to your server, Flash Player cant find those placed page SWF files?

In that case you probably have not uploaded the resources folder along the exported SWF. InDesign actually replaces the placed SWF´s original path with path to resources folder (and copies all the placed SWF files into resources folder as well)

That´s why it´s very important that you upload both exported SWF and resources folder to same root in your server.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

How does this work in CS6??

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

AFAIK there's no difference between Cs5 and CS6, at least with SWF export (except font embedding but it has nothing to do with this thread)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to JacobSato

It is suggested to export to PDF in InDesign and convert the file with a PDF to flash page flip tool. Pages are converted into separate SWF files and be loaded one by one when you are viewing them online.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to ChrisBFowler2010

OP has used InDesign´s interactive features like object states (pop-ups and image largements) which will be lost if publication is exported as PDF.

PDF to Flash method is not suitable for that kind of publishing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points