• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Builder 4.5 Debugger Problem

Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

I spent the better half of the last hour searching for a remedy to my situation but have not found one. I have a problem where in Flash Builder 4.5 I keep losing my debugger version of Flash Player. I download the version here http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#fp10 and it works again. However, seemingly random it will do it again a couple of days later. So I'm trying to figure out what is causing this or how I can fix it. It is quite annoying to go to jump into a project, debug it and then have to stop everything and download it again. Anyone know how to fix this?

I am running it on Mac OSX 10.6.7 (latest).

This is the message I receive when it breaks:

"Flash Builder cannot locate the required debugger version of Adobe Flash Player. You might need to install the debugger version of the Flash Player or reinstall Flash Builder.  Do you want to try to debug with the current version?"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I encounter that (I'm running Windows though) it's usually after I've recently changed or have leftover metadata from a different version of the SDK. You haven't recently changed SDK versions for Flex or AIR?

Probably totally unrelated but what fixed it for me in my situation was to delete the metadata folder in the app directory and reimport given the new, clean workspace. Kind of a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't changed it at all actually. It just seemingly happens randomly as I've been trying to watch to see if I could replicate it and figure out what I was doing wrong. However, I've haven't been able to pick up on any type of pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Chrome? If not, which browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm have been using Firefox 4, but just upgraded to Firefox 5 as it was just released today. Haven't used FlashBuilder yet since updating so can't tell you whether or not it had any effect on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Builder pops up the warning by checking the contents of /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin.

Strange that the plugin gets overwritten every few days for you. (Flash Builder doesn't do anything there, so must be some other program.)

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not even an employee and I realize that Flash Builder has the ability to do exactly what you're saying it doesn't do. I've replicated this problem with no other program but Flash Builder running. I never once had this problem in 10 years of using Flash as well. It is in fact Flash Builder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I'm saying is that Flash Builder doesn't install any player or plugin after the install process is over.

We haven't coded it in, and since I'm the engineer developing the debugger, I would know. Other CS products may install player during install time, but only if the version is lower than the one you have installed.

That said, let us shift the focus back to solving the problem you're facing. There doesn't have to be another process running when Flash Builder is running for this issue to occur.

The warning dialog you mentioned pops up after Flash Builder looks at the contents of /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Info.plist (the bundle name will be Flash Player Debugger) followed by a final check inside Resources/Flash Player*.rsrc.

Next time you run into the problem, the contents of Info.plist will help in narrowing this problem down.

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 3 days of frustration, the solution is so simple I could cry... For anyone else who runs across this issue take a look here:http://therush.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/resolved-flex-builder-3-debugger-stopped-working/

I think my problem was cuased by the fact that in my hosts file I have localhost redirected to a location on the backend web server where the app is actually being deployed. I changed the setting in the Debugger dialog (right-click in the running app and select 'Debugger') from 'localhost' to 'other machine' with an ip of 127.0.0.1 . As soon as I did, flexbuilder launched the debugger and everything started working.

Still not entirely sure why this works, but it must change a windows setting somewhere. I exited 4.5 and opened a project in 4.0 and the debugger worked there as well without having to repeat the process.

Sorry, replied to the wrong thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My two cents on this issue & how I resolved it.

I was getting a similar message which referenced a location in C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, and was looking for this version of the Flash Player: Flash64_10_3_162.ocx

What I tried that did NOT help:

Re-associating the SWF file type to open with a Flash Player debugger version downloaded from Adobe's site.

These three steps resolved the issue for me:

1. I had installed the 64-bit version of the Flash Player a few months ago, so I uninstalled that since it cannot be used by Flash Builder as a debugger. Back in FB 4.5.1, I got another message saying Flash was not installed at all.
  2. I used Adobe's Flash uninstaller tool and then,
  3. re-installed the latest debuggers for IE & Firefox.

I can now debug in IE or FF without any issues. FB finds the debug version of the Flash Player.

From what I saw when researching this, there seem to be many causes for this issue so I'll give Adobe some slack here. I will point out that the post from Adobe employee Anirudh Sasikumar, above, was not helpful in my case and was in fact misleading and not specific enough as to the location of the file he referenced. I searched for that file and found dozens of them on my machine, none in any location he mentioned. I wish he would have taken a little more time to give a complete path to this file. Maybe he did, but I could not find that path, or folders, on my machine. I work in a tightly-controlled network environment so perhaps these folders are ones I cannot see due to permissions issues, but it would've saved me time to get a complete path to start with.

For complete and full disclosure, here is my set-up; hopefully this will help others with a similar setup who are experiencing this nagging issue:

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Service Pack 1

Flash Builder 4.5.1.313231

Eclipse 3.6.1r361_v20100909xxxxxxx

Flash Debugger version (IE & FF): 10.3 r183

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining your solution, rtalton.

P.S: My post was for Mac OS since the original poster had a Mac.

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

rtalton

thanks for your 2 cents, it was helpful. i am running Flash Builder 4.5 on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro PC, and despite having installed

Download the Windows Flash Player 11.2 ActiveX control content debugger (for IE) (EXE, 3.93MB)

and the latest 64-bit version for Firefox, i kept getting notifications about not having the Flash Player debugger installed when trying to debug in all browsers - FireFox, Chrom and IE.

SO i did as u suggested and uninstalled all Flash Players and then reinstalled the ActiveX for IE, and after that the 64-bit Flash Player for firefox, and now i can debug, but only in IE, while with Flash Builder apps in Firefox or Chrome i can only run, NOT debug. That's fine, considering that all things are working smoothly (I was  worried about installing the debugger for IE because i understand it is a 32-bit app).

If you have any recommendations as to how i might be able to debug in Firefox and Chrome, as these are my favorite browser, particularly Firefox, plz let me know, keeping in mind i am not a programmer.

There are additional 32-bit Flash Player apps on the Adobe website, but i dont want to push my luck...

let me know what you think. ANyone can reply if they like.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, Flash Builder can't use a 64-bit debugger. I have no problems running the 32-bit debuggers, so try that for FF & Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. but do u know specifically which, and that it wont cause issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem with Flex Builder 4.6 and I'm on Max OS X 10.8, however the problem is solved after installing the "Plugin content debugger" from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For what it's worth, I was having a similar problem in OSX Lion. I could not get Firefox to connect with the debugger or even to run without it. It turns out that the way I had specified the location of Firefox (Preferences->General->Web Browser) was incorrect;

Previous versions worked when I used this location :

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

However, Firefox 15.0.1 would not start from FlashBuilder using this (although it did in previous versions). Once I changed it to :

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox

Then everything started working as expected, debugger connected, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines