• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 10 not printing PDFs

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to print to PDF on FrameMaker,  I get the "printing book" dialog box but nothing happens....the PDF is not created and no errors are reported. If I choose to print to poscript, open Acrobat Distiller, the PDF is generated there.

I recently upgraded to FrameMaker and Acrobat 10. I didn't have any issues on 9. I'm currently running both versions of FrameMaker on my PC for now.

Is this a Windows 7 issue? My co-worker has both versions of FrameMaker running with acrobat 10, but on an  XP system and everything seems fine on his end.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Windows 7 64-bit, 12 GB RAM and a fast processor.  TCS3 10.0.338. Updated Acrobat Pro X to 10.0.1, then 10.0.2.  I cannot print to PDF, but can print to a PostScript file, whiich distills successfully. I cannot save to PDF.

I tried this on Server 2008 R2 just to see what would happen, and got the same results (I know FM 10 is not supported there). I have also uninstalled and re-installed TCS3 on Windows 7.

I have a trial download of TCS3 on my work machine, a laptop with 4 MB of RAM running XP Pro SP3. It works fine there. I have used the same printer settings as this machine on my 64-bit system; no go. I have also tried updating the printer driver, adding a printer instance, changing ports, etc. I don't want to have to print to file, I just want it to work.

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Win 7, 64-bit specific issue in "Print To PDF" route. We are actively looking at it.

There are couple of ways to workaround the problem.

• Use "File --> Save As PDF" option to directly create PDF from the source.
  • Use "Print to PS" followed by Distiller

Regards,

Rajat Bansal

Sr Engineering Manager,

Adobe FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rajat.  I wish you success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having these issues too, and more.  I am migrating a large FrameMaker 8 legacy to FM10 on new 64-bit Mobile Workstations running Windows 7.  FM10 displays files OK but when I "Save as PDF", Console complains Tahoma font family is possibly corrupt.  The resulting PDF diplays in Acrobat with square symbols in place of Tahoma text.  I tried replacing Tahoma with old WinXP-Tahoma.  No luck.  I replace Tahoma with another font; same problem wi the other font.  In Acrobat, you cannot scroll past the square-symbol areas without crashing the NVIDIA display driver, which eventually recovers itself.

On top of that, FM10 frequently does not refresh when performing an operation (as above), rendering it inaccessible.  Using Windows Task Manager to alternately minimize, then mazimize restores the screen and functionality.

What is happening at Adobe?  Was FM10 not tested against Windows 7 in both 32/64-bit modes?  How can Adobe leave paying customers hanging?  The thread elsewhere in this forum is mostly dated in April; it is now past mid-May and I cannot find any signs of life at Adobe as to a quick and immediate resolution.

This is a show stopper!  Does FM10 support Windows 7?  Does FM10 support 64-bit O/S?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

indeed it's a small challenge to generate a PDF with FM 10.

On XP, you will need a Microsoft Patch. FM 10 works fine on Windows 7 (x86/x64), but the CMYK/RGB switch is also a challenge if you work with some imported PDF, EPS or font combinations. Also, it's not so easy if you want to print a pdf, and select some files in a book.

From what FrameMaker release does your input come, really from FM 8 or from an older release like 5.1? Did you choose Print CMYK as RGB at PDF-Joboptions? Try Refresh: CTRL-L

- Maike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're seeing this behavior in FM10 on Vista 64 bit also.

Rajat Bansal wrote:

This is a Win 7, 64-bit specific issue in "Print To PDF" route. We are actively looking at it.

There are couple of ways to workaround the problem.

• Use "File --> Save As PDF" option to directly create PDF from the source.
  • Use "Print to PS" followed by Distiller

Regards,

Rajat Bansal

Sr Engineering Manager,

Adobe FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest FM10 patch fixed my Win 7 64-bit problem; maybe it will help Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what "actively looking at it" means in real Adobe time. Further to my post, we discovered with 2 identical laptops running FM10 on 64-bit CPU, Win7 ... one has the Print to PDF problem, the other does not. Go figure.

Also, both FM10 instances crash regularly. Multiple suspects. Sometimes, it seems a particular anchored PNG or PDF is the culprit; sometimes, it seems a PNG on the master page is the villain. The PNGs are 'flat' and there is nothing complicated about them. Other times, the book file converted from FM8 is the problem, requiring it to be scrapped and rebuilt from scratch in FM10; on the other laptop, FM8 books convert to FM10 without a hitch. It must be gremlins.

Print to postscript, then Distill, works flawlessly.

Save As PDF still produces output with gibberish text/symbols substituted for certain font families. Change the offending font family to another in the FM source and you get another font suddenly not liked by Adobe.

There may be all sorts of neat DITA/XML improvements and other frills, but this FM10 seems poorly done.

Any other horror stories out there?

Cheers,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> There may be all sorts of neat DITA/XML improvements and other frills, but this FM10 seems poorly done.

> Any other horror stories out there?

I have to agree with Mike on this one. I have had more crashes with FM10 in the two weeks since installing it than I have had in several years of using FM8.

Right now, I have two books that have been consistently crashing when I save after an update. I "think" I may have solved the problem by saving the books as FM10 MIF and then back into book format. I've had other crashes that seem to be related to inserting a cross-reference. And a couple of other crashes that just seem based on general ornerieness.

This does not inspire confidence in a product, that up until this release, was almost bulletproof.

Regards

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means they've already fixed it - see Rajat's post on the 10.0.1 patch. I suggest you install it on all your machines and report back.

FWIW - I've been running FM10 (within TCS3) since it came out & haven't crashed once. I started authoring in FM9, so none of my books/docs were pre-9. I'm running XP SP3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the 10.0.1 update.

I just had several crashes this morning. They all seem to be related to updating a book and then saving. I've been working with track text edits on. I may try disabling that feature to see if it makes any difference.

Regards

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great - I assume you have no problems printing to PDF then, right?

With regard to your crashing - maybe you need to start a new thread on that issue. Then you can give us all the details about your O/S, memory, what you're doing in FM, and if you're getting hard errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix interpretation.  However, the Adobe updater installed 10.0.1 when it was available a few weeks ago and a recent patch too (10.0.1.402).  So, I am still getting the Save As PDF problem, along with crashing.

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, the patch numbers and point release values (pXXX numbers) have all been rolled into one starting with FM10. So  the 10.0.1 patch = 10.0.1.402 from the Help > About screen. The patch number will now always be shown in the FM release number found on the Help screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, leave the crashing aside - spin that off into a new thread as I advised Keith to do. So in an earlier post you said that you've got 2 laptops with 1 working when doing Print to PDF and 1 not? There's got to be some difference going on. When you do the Print to PDF, what's happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do (new crashing thread). The crashes are random.  It may take a few days to post again with details.

Hands full right now and cannot regenerate book and attempt Save As PDF.  I did not keep previous wonky PDF; basically, the PDF results seemed better recently than before the patch (before-patch, there were many paragraph/character tags showing gibberish/symbols substituted; after-patch, there was only one character tag (font family) affected).  I'll post again soon to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I would like to work with you to investigate the issues that you are facing. I will need some more information on the same to debug it. Please see if you can share some test files on which you are facing issues at rabansal@adobe.com.

Also please check ON "Convert CMYK Colors to RGB". FrameMaker has some issues related to fonts (fonts getting dropped / replaced) when this setting is turned off.

Regards,

Rajat Bansal

Adobe FrameMaker Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rajat,

Thanks for the reply and offer.  Regrettably, I cannot share company source files.  I am in the midst of some testing: I am finding some text tagged with certain character tags show up as gibberish in files but seem to work OK in other cases; it is affecting different char-tags, different fonts.  I'll try the CMYK/RGB suggestion and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rajat,

It works!  Select the Convert CMYK Colors to RGB check box in Settings, and the output is fine.  The connection with the various affected char-tags is that each has a custom (CMYK) color definition (as per corporate branding specifications).

Thanks for the help.  Thanks to Jeff Coatsworth too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue is with "Print to PDF" route not with "Save as PDF" route.

-Harsh

Message was edited by: Harsh@FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the "printing book" dialog box but nothing happens....the PDF is not created and no errors are reported.

Is there any chance that the filename, or any of the directory names above it, contain a comma?

If so, change the commas to underscores and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like this is a now-known Win7 64bit issue that Adobe is working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like this is a now-known Win7 64bit issue that Adobe is working on.

Quite likely. But until the comma-in-the-Windows-filepath problem is fixed (and it doesn't appear to be fixed in FM9), it's going to continue to pop up, and can easily be mistaken for some other problem, and cause substantial time wasting. It can also prevent you from confirming that some other problem IS fixed or worked around.

As I recall from years ago, it took me quite a while to figure out that what had changed between "can print" and "can't" was a trivial change of a single otherwise legal filename character. There are complaints on the old newsgroup comp.text.frame about this, dated 2003, and claiming that the problem was at least 2 years old then. So this probably has been there since FM6 if not earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used a comma in a file name or path in my life; I'm curious as to why anyone would do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines