Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]

Jun 22, 2011 6:53 AM

Anyone know how to open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to ghost zero

I understand that you can't. I've mentioned this before and got the feeling it was a) costly for Adobe to implement and b) they thought not many people needed it.

I keep meaning to make a list of things that use mp2 like radio playout systems, the Nagra field recorder, DAB files and so on so as to make more of a case. Any examples of mp2 need should be flagged up to Adobe.

I really don't understand this. mp3 encoders used to be required by definition also to support mp2, so I don't see how Adobe have managed to license a non-mp2 mp3 codec from Fraunhofer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to Wild_Duck

Wild_Duck wrote:

a) costly for Adobe to implement

To make the CS5.5 deadline, and with the cross-platform rewrite, we simply weren't able to get to some things on our list (not that we ditched the features or anything).   However, MPEG 1 Layer II, and MPEG 2 Layer II have their own royalty issues that we have to pay for.

Wild_Duck wrote:

b) they thought not many people needed it.

Not the case at all, we know many of our loyal radio customers need this functionality on a daily basis.   I do, however, have to admit that we saw this as less prevelant than .mp3 (when looking at our total customer base).

Wild_Duck wrote:

I keep meaning to make a list of things that use mp2 like radio playout systems, the Nagra field recorder, DAB files and so on so as to make more of a case. Any examples of mp2 need should be flagged up to Adobe.

Best thing to do would be to amass a set of test files such that if/when we support this, it can be more thoroughly tested in-house before we put it out the door.   I have a good set from various places, but we always get our best and trickiest test files from customers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points