Skip navigation
BHPforum
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Content Viewer app

Jun 21, 2011 8:42 AM

Hi  Guys I created my interactive document on Indesign 5.5 yesterday. I can  view it on my desktop 'Adobe Content Viewer'. Is there a way I can view  my document on the iPad without buying the expensive Adobe Digital  Publishing suite? I don't want to publish the document, I just want to text it on the iPad? When I log into adobe acrobat I can't organise the files, I can only view the workspace!? Also the 'Adobe Content Viewer app' keeps telling me it needs to be updated?? Can anybody help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2011 8:54 AM   in reply to BHPforum

You'll need to wait until Apple approves the new Content Viewer. The current one on iTunes is incompatible with the latest creation tools.

Once you have that just sign in using the same user ID and password you used to create the folio.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 9:11 AM   in reply to BHPforum

That's in Apple's hands.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 2:35 AM   in reply to BHPforum

As a newbie on iPad-Indesign-foliobuilder issues it took me two whole days now to figure out that

A a software calles "content bundler" does no longer exist and

B the new way of previewing files on an actual iPad - not with the desktop viewer is not working due to incompatibilities with the store App (v1.7.0)

Is that true so far??

I have an urgent client meeting this Tuesday where I have to show some of our magazine pages on the iPad.

Is there any way to get the content on the pad till than??

I'd be grateful for help.

This whole thing has killed two entire working days!!!!

And I turned to be very! unpolite to two telephone support guys WHO DID NOT HAVE ANY CLUE of the entire issue but did not admit this.

Anyway. Now I know more but still: see above.

With the greatest expectations,

Christian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 5:52 AM   in reply to BHPforum

Again, this is on Apple.

Adobe does state on the download page for the folio builder tools that they are incompatible with the current viewer but that message should be a bit clearer, I think.

Capture.PNG

I know that doesn't help your situation a whole lot but you anger should be directed at Apple. There's no reason for the hold up.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 6:32 AM   in reply to BHPforum

Where did you complain? I wrote a mail to Appstore customer support but I don't think this will lead to something.

Makes me nervous...

Best,

Christian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to BHPforum

Yes, the original version of the viewer. It's been updated quite a few times since then.

Apple is still sitting on the current update.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to BHPforum

BHPforum wrote:

This is what Apple say!

It's been in the iTunes Store for quite a while now ( back to September of last year):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-content-viewer-for-ipad/id3890674 18?mt=8

so someone at Adobe is putting out very stale information. Reviews are pretty unflattering, though.

Regards.

Discussion here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15462328#15462328

Just to set the record straight, Apple did not say that. I did, and I don't work for Apple. I want to avoid any impression that Apple has commented on this matter in any way, official or unofficial.

Regards to all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 10:43 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, the message should be much clearer. It is only focused on enterprise customers with branded viewers.

I read:

Please note that if you install the Folio Producer tools update 1.1.0 (step 2 below) you will create .folio files that are not compatible with previously created branded viewers ...

and then I stop reading.

I am hoping for red boxes with big exclamation marks for a warning.

Also, I could discuss the point of why releasing tools earlier again. but naaa... I'm to tired now ,-)

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 22, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

If you can't wait for the viewer to be available on the iPad, uninstall the Folio Producer tools (ID CS5) or InDesign (ID CS5.5), and then re-install the 1.0 tools. Don't install the 1.1 update until Apple approves the viewer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 11:42 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob,

I have been closely monitoring many threads here at DPS (and DPS Private Beta Forums) in the last few weeks, and yes I am new to this particular product group having only been in it since March.  But I wonder if there is some way that Adobe can be made aware of how serious this issue is with Builder and Viewer and tools "not lining up" with Apple.

To keep putting this problem on Apple is somewhat of a shopworn technique (and I say this with all due respect.). Still, Apple commands fully 80+ % of the tablet market.  They are the big dog.

Suggestions for the future:  Perhaps there will be a way to choose a tools/viewers workflow at startup -- or to put a bigger "red flag" before installing any update that is not yet supported by Apple.  Approaching this from the engineering side, you may have forgotten just how many disclaimer screens the average designer/production person faces every week!  Many of us don't read them carefully. (Richard Dreyfuss reads them).

I have nothing but admiration for what Adobe software engineers are trying to do -- and these are nascent times to be sure.  But it certainly seems like this launch is going poorly.

-- Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 1:05 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

OK Bob,

this finally WORKS!

Ok thanks for the hint. This will do until the update is out.

For all of you with the same problem, v1.0 was not so easy to find, I finally managed to download it from a french adobe page (on the english page they offer 1.1.0 also for 5.0: http://www.adobe.com/fr/downloads/  There you get Win and Mac.

Mac is here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5017

Hope this helps!

Chris

Message was edited by: chrisboll

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 10:15 PM   in reply to BHPforum

Hi all, I've the same problem and I can't wait to the update of the viewer are aproved by Apple (sigh!), but I've two questions.

I've the CS 5.5 and the folio producer tool updated to 1.1.0, then:

Can I install the folio producer tool 1.0 with CS5.5?

How can I uninstall the folio producer tool 1.1.0?

Thanks all for helpful

Alberto Gombau

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 11:47 PM   in reply to BHPforum

Well, I try to install the Folio Producer 1.0 at InDesign 5.5 and don't work... then my solutions is this.

1. Work your in your layout at InDesign 5.5
    2. Export your files like IDML
    3. Open at InDesign 5.0
    4. Create your .folio with Folio Producer 1.0
    5. Test in Adobe Content Viewer on the iPad

Yep maybe no the best solution but works...

Alberto

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 5:39 AM   in reply to alberto_gombau

Hi Alberto,

I managed to install v.1.0 on 5.0 - don't know if it works with 5.5 but I think it should.

I tried to unistall manually but - of course - you never find all the components that got installed.

What I removed before installation is this (mac): DigitalPublishingRelease.zxp - see screenshot for location.

Afterwards I installed v.1.0 and now everything works as promised.

location_extension_mac.jpg

Good luck,

Christian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 6:00 AM   in reply to BHPforum

Maybe not the shortest way, but one that works as well: I found that the Android Viewer is showing the current folios with now problems. Luckily we had an Android HTC mobile ("Desire") at hand to try it out.Unfortunately the viewer doesn´t work on all android mobiles (my Samsung Galaxy 551 eg. didn´t allow installation).

I havn´t had a chance to try the app on an Android tablet yet, but assume that that would work as well.

And by the way: I can only join in to all the complaints around the disjunction of viewer (Apple) and creator (Adobe)´s versions. I don´t understand why there is a way to create folios for different viewer versions - especially not given the current long apporval processes of Apple.

Petra

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 23, 2011 8:10 AM   in reply to BHPforum

What doesn't work? If you roll back to 1.0, you should be able to create a folio and view it on the iPad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 3:20 AM   in reply to BHPforum

1.0.1 producser tools are available for CS5.5, too.

acrobat.com still has problems until now. I can create workspaces and folios / articles, etc. They appear in acrobat.com but iPad viewer doesn't find the whole magazine until now or just find it but doesn't update or download contents.

Reported nearly 15 times now to adobe with many details. No solution yet.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 24, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to BHPforum

1.0 should work with either InDesign CS5 or CS5.5. If you install 1.0, create a simple source document, and then create a folio and article, does it still not download on your iPad viewer? It should.

If the viewer fails to work properly, you may want to try deleting it from the iPad and from iTunes, syncing, and then reinstalling.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 8:23 AM   in reply to BHPforum

Hi Gemma,

could it be (!!) that you misread that message telling you to update...?

Because if you see your content in the iPad viewer you got it!

And:

Everytime you change anything within your folio in Indesign you get exactly that update-message that wants you not to update the viewer but your folio file in the iPad. Could it be?... Here come two (german) screenshots:

Update.png  Update available.png

I'd be glad, if this would be the solution.

Let me know,

Christian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to BHPforum

I don't like Apple products anymore!!

... but still: this is an Adobe problem.

ch

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points