Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

two files, same pantone color...Onscreen looks like two different colors?

Jun 24, 2011 6:00 AM

Recently we have been having this issue at work, We have a line of packaging that uses the same pantone color (375 C). When we go to create a new document and use that same pantone the color onscreen looks more saturated then its predecessor. The only think I can think of is that I've upgrade to the pantone plus system but have since uninstalled and reinstalled the old color books. Both documents are in CMYK color space and both use the same ICC profile. Any thoughts? I know it wont appear this way when printed but we make a lot of PDFs for approvals and the colors come out more saturated in the PDF as well. See sample image below. Thanks for your help!

screen-capture.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2011 6:44 AM   in reply to gbloom531

To tell you the truth one looks like it is rgb and the other cmyk but it coud be that one document has overprint preview on and the other has it off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to gbloom531

Try copying a sample of 375C from  Document A into document B. If the Doc A swatch magically changes color to match the doc B swatch the you have a document with either a modified or old color that uses the same EXACT SAME name. This happens when someone modifies the CMYK values PANTONE 375 C does not change the name of the color. What Illustrator does is the AUTOMATICALLY changes the color mode of Doc A swatch from CMYK to Book color, when you paste an item having the same swatch name. You do not  even get a about to merge color warning. For that reason if I ever tweak a color to get a better laser print, I change the name (eg: PANTONE 375C (Mod)

Picture 7.pngPicture 5.png

Though I feel one of Wade's 2 suggestions may be right, this also can cause color difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to gbloom531

Does the documents have color profiles assigned? 

>Edit >Assign profile

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to gbloom531

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to gbloom531

I am having the same issue, one package out of 11 is the only one that is looking weird on the screen and they all had overprint off. But when I turned on the overprint feature on all of them, they all matched. So it might be just a screen issue and when it's printed it might work fine. And you can probably make your pdfs for signoffs with overprint on. Hope this helps, glad I found this thread, thanks for everyone input.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to mshawarby

I am having the same exact issue. Same color profile, same color settings in both files, exact Pantone color - it appears different on screen, and printed different for a client! Shame on you, Adobe, this is making me look bad! Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 12.57.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-09-19 at 12.55.58 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to judahcs

But were the files created in the same version of AI and are they being opened in that version or a newer version?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to judahcs

judahcs wrote:

I am having the same exact issue. Same color profile, same color settings in both files, exact Pantone color - it appears different on screen, and printed different for a client! ..

The Pantone colors are printed by informing the printer with the name of the pantone color which can be checked in the file. Then the printer picks and uses the right Pantone ink and prints. So, if printed with the same Pantone ink and on the same paper there should be no difference in the prints regardless how the Pantone colors are displayed on screen or converted to process in the different versions of Illustrator or versions of the Pantone library.

I'm assuming that you did not print with Pantone inks but process colors. If so, your problem should be addressed by treating as process colors any Pantone colors that you are going to use at the end as process. To match the output of process colors as close as possible to the output of the Pantone inks, from time to time Pantone changes the conversion values and the methods used for it to keep with the changes of the latest printing equipment, software, and supplies. This leaves us, the users, to take care of these differences.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Nope, not create in the same version of AI. Not sure why that should make a difference, but not surprised that it would.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to emil emil

emil emil, that's what I would have said almost word for word before today. That makes sense and I follow your logic. However, that's not what happened. The printed color appears exactly as it does on calibrated screen in both instances - the more orange/yellow vs yellow. When I cut/paste the color out of one file to the next, it changes hue. That should not happen. It never has in the past, granted, but it did in this instance. Something's not right.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to judahcs

judahcs wrote:

...When I cut/paste the color out of one file to the next, it changes hue. ...

Then you should have two different color swatches for both colors that are supposed to be the same. Double click on each color swatch in the Swatches panel and make sure their Color Mode and values are the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to judahcs

judahcs wrote:

When I cut/paste the color out of one file to the next....

- could it be related to >preferences >file handling and clipboard - settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to judahcs

judahcs wrote:

The printed color appears exactly as it does on calibrated screen in both instances - the more orange/yellow vs yellow.

Did you use "Simulate Overprint" when printing as suggested in the link from Monica?Screen shot 2013-09-26 at 10.33.59 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points