Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat X Pro: Really slow opening files

Jun 20, 2011 2:41 AM

Since the last upgrade (I got it last week a couple of days after I installed the program), it takes forever sometimes to open the simplest files. Up to 10 seconds to open a one-page file. More if the file is larger. This is really annoying, as I am opening files all the time. It doesn't help if I close the program after each file is printed, or leave it open and just closing the file. Anybody else experiencing this who knows what's happening?

Version 10.1.0.534

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2011 12:29 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Here as well, PDF files open in browser takes between 30 seconds to 2 minutes depends on the browser.

Internet Explorer 9 is dramatically slow while opening the same in Chrome is faster, but yet really slow.

Adobe guys, please help ASAP!

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 1:07 AM   in reply to lenahanson

This issue started immidiately after installing the last update: 10.1.0.534

I'm working with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 8:45 AM   in reply to lenahanson

We have 200 employees, the majority of which need to open and print hundreds of pdf documents a day.  They are all experiencing this severe slowness issue.  At first I thought it was a network or server issue, then an antivirus issue, but I have eliminated those as possibilities which led me to this forum via a google search for acrobat issues.

This is a very severe issue!  It has cut our employees' productivity in half and costing us $thousands per day!  Adobe need to address this immediately!

I will attempt the solution proposed on other forums of rolling back to version 9, but that will take considerable time to do on 200 workstations and laptops.  This update should have been much more thoroughly tested!

-RG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 5:40 AM   in reply to lenahanson

The same issue has occurred to me as well. I feel this is eminent at the opening of PDFs with Acrobat JavaScript.

I am wondering this happens in Adobe Reader 10.1 as well.

I also want Adobe to address this issue as soon as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to shimax

The slow performance when opening PDF files is a new issue since the last build of Reader X.

The previous build had no problems.

Doron

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to lenahanson

The below is an example which takes more than 30 seconds for executing a simple Acrobat JavaScript: app.launchURL:

http://www.openspc2.org/reibun/Acrobat8/javascript/app/028/sample/samp le.pdf

(I am using Firefox 5.0)

In the case of other versions of Acrobat, by clicking the button, in a second or two seconds, I see Yahoo! Japan.

But in the case of Acrobat X(10.1  My computer is Vista Ultimate SP2), it takes more than 30 seconds until I see Yahoo! Japan.

Loading PDFs takes more time in Acrobat Pro 10.1 but at the same time executing Acrobat JavaScripts seems to be really problematic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 1:45 PM   in reply to lenahanson

Same issue with X pro for me...very slow when opening documents..

Any update for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to lenahanson

lenahanson wrote:

If I understand it right, as soon as you upgrade your license(s) from 9 to 10, your 9 licence(s) are no longer valid. Isn't this correct? So as I see it, we are all stuck with version 10...

No. That is not correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2011 3:54 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I can confirm that this is also an issue for me — ever since the recent update.

Not only is there this weird slowness, Acrobat X periodically crashes whereas it was previously stable.

Surely Adobe already knows about this stuff from the Improvement Program data it collects? What is being done about it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2011 3:56 AM   in reply to lenahanson

They do seem to be willing to collect our money though!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I also experience that Acrobat X is really slow after the latest upgrade. I now have 10.1.0. Only remedy is to drag files to the program window instead of double-clicking. What is Adobe doing about this?? Also annoying with endless updates to fix safety issues in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 11:33 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Anyone have any updates on this?

I just installed Adobe reader x and if I click on a link to a PDF on a site I can take the kids to school pick them up, do their homework then go out for a meal before a one page PDF opens.

Strangely I can right click and save it in an instant.

As an aside can I uninstall it and go back to 9 until this is fixed (I'm losing the will to live)

Thanks McP

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to lenahanson

Try this in Reader: Go to Edit / preferences / general - then uncheck  the box "Enable protected mode at startup" . My Reader X was doing the  same thing and this cured it straight away. I haven't tried it in Pro but see no reason why it wouldn't work there too. I'm not sure where that would be located in Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 8:28 PM   in reply to eabas

I would recommend against disabling Protected Mode as this is:

·         One of the new features of Acrobat

·         Protects your machine from embedded malware.

What I’d like to see is acknowledgement from Adobe that it is investigating this problem.

Further, if there’s something broken, could it also mean that Protected Mode is also broken?

I think we need a security researcher to have a look at what’s going on here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 11:35 PM   in reply to lenahanson

I added "Priviledged locations" on my computer and the local network,which will be exempt from enhanced security. This seems to work. But I think there should be a default setting that only applies enhanced security to files that are opened from other places than the local network.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 12:47 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I recently did the update to both AcroX and Reader. The first PDF file opens up quickly. Any second file takes a considerable amount of time--too much time. Mainly this  happen when I am trying to open up files over my companys network (a small business server). I find that local files on my computer do not appear to be affected by this. If the file is opened up over the network, any additional files can be simply dragged into the opened acrobat program and they open without problems. However, that is not a solution. Where is the "Priviledged locations" at?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 1:10 AM   in reply to UTE-Tech01

Edit/Preferences/Seurity(enhanced)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 6:49 AM   in reply to DidrikB

Edit/Preferences/Seurity(enhanced) AND...?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to eabas

Try this in Reader: Go to Edit / preferences / general - then uncheck  the box "Enable protected mode at startup" .

Tried it, (yes I know I shouldn't but I made the pdf) this made no difference.

It's all right companies adding features, but when they stop the main program working...

Can anyone tell me an answer to my original query, can I kill this piece of junk (as no one from Adobe has an answer, yet!) and re install v9?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 8:26 AM   in reply to UTE-Tech01

I tried different settings on both reader and acrobat. What appears to be working (right now) is to uncheck everything in the window of

"Edit/Preferences/Seurity(enhanced)" . I don't know the words used. I am using the Italian language version.

My computer:

- Windows XP Pro SP3

- Acrobat X

- nearly all microsoft updates

- recent updates for Acrobat and Reader

- gigabyte network to server

-AVG business edition 2011

maybe my server is just overly protective already?

Ciao!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 8:34 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Is Acrobat X Pro optimised for multi core cpus? You could try checking the cpu Affinity in task manager. Make sure all cpu's are enabled and try adjusting the software priority there too. I wouldn't have thought processing PDF's would be too demanding though

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to UTE-Tech01

Thanks for the suggestion (which did not work, nice try) this upgrade truly is a piece of junk, what with that and the fact IE9 with vista not printing from with web, this pc is in danger of being attacvked with a lump hammer.

Can I uninstall this and go back to Acrobat 9, or will that not work?

McP

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Same problem here with version 10.1.0.534 from 6th of june 2011. Nothing works until now. The first document opens quickly, the next takes time. Went back to version 10.0.3 (via Windows system recovery), but then Acrobat crashed 10-15 seconds after opening the first file. We now re-installed our original CD-version 10.0.0 from january 2011, problem solved, so no more updates for us.

To Adobe: if you ask such a lot of money for your software this is something you should solve; at least react/inform your customers about the problem and offer a (temporary) solution. I keep my Foxit-reader installed, just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 7:11 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Me, too.  Just paid for the upgrade to X on 7/1.  I'm using Windows XP SP3 with 4GB of ram. I "create" a .pdf from a word document, it pops up immediately, then gives me the Save page.  After "saving", the file takes anywhere from 10 - 15 MINUTES to appear in the folder.   What the hey?  I got Version 10 (X) so that I could save forms as both Fillable & Savable with data, but this is insanely slow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to RobMcP

"Edit/Preferences/Seurity(enhanced) AND...?"

And uncheck "Enable Enhanced Security." 

I'm using 10.1 Pro and was having the exact problem described (first document opened fine, but a second or third would take a good 20-30 seconds to open).  After disabling Enhanced Security, I can open 3-4 documents in a row without any slowdown. 

It really is a good thing (for Adobe) that Acrobat has no viable competition, because each version has been incrementally worse since version 7. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 8:19 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I'm seeing this issue as well on Acrobat Pro 10.1 but not on 10.0

Have not tested in Reader X

If you have 1 PDF open already from a mapped drive or network share, subsequent PDFs take 15 - 30 seconds to open instead of 2 - 3 seconds in version 10.0

Have not tested opening in the browser yet

This is on Windows XP SP3

I've filed a bug report and hopefully we can get more information.

For the other posters having the problem with Acrobat Pro X, what is your Acrobat version and what is your OS version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to acmd9

It's the version of Office I was using, I was on 2000, Acrobat X is not compatible with this.  It's totally screwed my Printers folder, too.  I've upgraded to Office 2010, but I may need to reload XP sp3

Kathleen Tronsor

IT Systems Manager

Carolina Color Corporation

www.carolinacolor.com

704-637-7000

 please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. 

=======================================================

• DISCLAIMER:  This E-mail (including attachments) is confidential and remains the property of Carolina Color Corporation. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately about the error and permanently delete this email.  The use of electronic communication is subject to interception, corruption and data loss.  Carolina Color has taken reasonable steps to protect against viruses or other interference, but cannot accept liability for any damage resulting from this communication.  Thank you.***

=======================================================

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to CaroColor

With all due respect, I’m pretty confident that your issue is different to what we’re describing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 2:23 PM   in reply to acmd9

I was able to test today with Acrobat Pro 10.1.0 on Win 7 Pro x64.

I am not seeing any slowness when opening subsequent PDF files with 1 already open.

As I posted earlier today, I do see this slowness when using 10.1.0 on XP Pro SP3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 12:40 AM   in reply to acmd9

I disabled the "show common tasks in folders" and instead used "windows classic folders" (after disabling the "advanced protection" functions).

I did not notice any changes immediately.

However the program started to work normally after a day or so, and I can't exatly say why.

Probably with the computer restart and internet browser temp files deletion it fixed it.

I then enabled "show common tasks in folders"...and it continues to work normally.

I believe that the "common tasks" thing was addressed in Win7. But it does cause me some conflicts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 6:06 AM   in reply to lenahanson

jimmytecguy : If i wanted to spend more money on worthless software and have to learn yet another program,...I would consider it.

Peddle your trash somewhere else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I have had exactly the same problem. Since the update, it takes ages to load a PDF through either the standard reader or through Pro X. When it does open, it's open for a few secounds and then hangs. I had no problems prior to this. Using Windows Ultimate, SP1. With 16GB ram & 8 core processors, it doesn't hang for anything. I would love to gripe about the 'attempt' to give me some kind of support by Adobe on this issue but I won't go there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to lenahanson

To fix the load delay.. remove any non functioning or slow Rights Management Servers from Security Settings. Document open triggers UI items to get enabled, which fetches the set of policies that you can apply on a document, and show them within the menu. Somehow this seems to happen each time a document is opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to lenahanson

YES i have the same problem but worse - sometimes it's says the wow cache or stack and slows down everything else I have going on. I want to know how to return to the previous version.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points