Skip navigation

Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background

Aug 3, 2010 2:24 PM

Latest reply: toughacrobats12, Feb 10, 2014 10:45 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2011 7:35 PM   in reply to jdw9113

I'm currently running on IE9 and my flash player seems to run with no problems at all until

I get on Facebook. When I play the games on there is when I have the problems and receive

the exclamation point. Then Im unable to play any FB games until I redownload the same flash player. I have to do this almost on daily basis. I dont know what it is but everybody seems to be having the same problem. I thought it was just a FB flub but after reading everyones posts I guess not.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 25, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to jdw9113

I have a Mac 8 core -- hence an Intel 2core duo.  I run both Firefox and Chrome and both of them receive the gray circle.  Most of my circles have been in games on Facebook.   On one browser I'm running 10.3.x and the other 10.1.x So let's see, that means:

• It's not just on Windows machines
    • It isn't just a problem on single core intel chips
    • It isn't a problem specific to YouTube or to IE.
    • The verson of the player isn't the issue.

So the problem still stands.  ...and I'm really steamed that the dam* thing doesn't have some kind of error code too!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 4:04 PM   in reply to AminaSack

Just quoting the comment from joshdura earlier in this thread, as it seems that some of you have missed it (possibly because this thread hasn't been marked as "answered"):

"The error you are seeing is the new out of memory notification. It is  basically shielding the user when memory usage gets near the system  resource cap. The best course of action here (if you own the content) is  to check your application for high memory usage and correct the errors.  If you don't own the content, it would probably be best to contact the  owners and make them aware of the issue you are seeing."

This is the reason that you are seeing the exclamation point graphic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 9:05 AM   in reply to AminaSack

If your system is a Mac Pro 8-Core, it uses two Quad-core Xeon 5600 CPUs. The Xeon is the server version of Intel's Core i Series of chips. The only Macs that use Intel Core2 Duo are the Mac mini's, Macbook (NOT Pro), and Macbook Air. I still have a feeling the memory issue is caused by the Intel Core i series (or it's server version, Xeon). I have 2 systems that match in flash ver (10.3.181.26), IE Browser version (8.0.7600.16385), OS (Win7 Enterprise) and RAM (4.00GB). The only difference between these two systems is one has a Intel Core2 Duo (which ran the flash animations just fine) and an Intel Core i7 (which failed). I don't think this is simply an across the board high-memory issue as the two systems match in both OS (Win7) and RAM (4GB) so they should in theory have similar memory usage capabilities.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 4:44 PM   in reply to Posis Das

I capitulate.  It's best I leave the figuring out of the problem to younger computer experts.  I've been out of the game for 10 years.  My info is cold.  Anyone want to know about RISC architecture? lol

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 5:35 PM   in reply to jdw9113

HERE IS THE EXACT AND CORRECT ANSWER TO THIS ISSUE WITH GREY CIRCLE MARK.

1. The grey circle means “out of memory”

2. Why does it happen :

Because the adobe Flash player runing under any browser does not empty correctly the memory.

As a proof,  lunch your pc with only one web browser (and nothing else)

Run ANY webbased flash application (ANY website that has a flash application)

And watch the RAM memory  on your windows task manager.

For small Flash apps, you’ll have an increase of 1Mb/5minutes

For more important Flash Apps (games or others) you can have up to 4Mb increase/minute

That means that if you run a game and a couple of other application, your RAM memory will quickly go OUT OF MEMORY.

3. TESTS : Our lab made very precise tests on a flash application, using Adobe profiling tools to analyse the lack of memory. We have made sure that this adobe tools give us an aswer of exactly ZERO lack of memory and perfect profiling for the test application.

With this perfect flash application, we observed EXACTLY the same loss of memory when runing on a browser.

Conclusion :

Flash player runing under any web explorer looses more or less memory.

The reason why not too many people are complaning is that the computers are now 2, 4 or 8Gb ram. Only an application that would run for hours (or running with many flash applications) would after a while show this exclamation mark.

So Matt Talistu and spacepacket, I suggest you make more tests before you post wrong information on this Forum.

IT IS REALLY A SHAME THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTACT ADOBE FOR SUCH IMPORTANT PROBLEMS.

We followed the online VERY complicated procedure, and never got an answer from Adobe

ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO REACH ADOBE FLASH DEVELOPMENT TEAM ????

Georges
    gb@radioways.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2011 6:24 PM   in reply to radioways1

radioways1 wrote:

IT IS REALLY A SHAME THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTACT ADOBE FOR SUCH IMPORTANT PROBLEMS.

We followed the online VERY complicated procedure, and never got an answer from Adobe

ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO REACH ADOBE FLASH DEVELOPMENT TEAM ????

Hi Georges,

The best way to reach us regarding this would be to file a bug at http://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/.  In the bug, please include exact steps and sample content (and code) so that we can reproduce the issue internally.  Once you've filed the bug, you can add notes and track the progress online.  I'd also recommend posting the URL to the bug so that others effected can cast their votes and add comments.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 2:42 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your quick answer.
    I have already checked   http://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer and saw that the bug was listed :
    The bug is reported ref : FP5898

Opened at : 12/07/10 03:53 PM

I just discovered today that it has been closed : 04/27/11

It is said that the new version of Flash Player solves this issue.

But we tested with the latest version and the problem is still there.

There is no way we can open again this bug ?

Best regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 2:58 AM   in reply to jdw9113

TO ALL THE DEVELOPPERS AND PERSONS WHO ARE CONCERNED WITH THIS BUG.

This is not the right place to exchange on this bug.

If you want to really follow this bug, and be sure that Adobe development and debug team read your message :
    Please go to :

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-7298

Don't hesitat to comment and add you personnel tests to give the maximum information to Adobe developpement and debug team.

PS : thousands thanks to Chris Campbell for this precious information.

Best regards.

Georges Bacha

CEO
    Radioways

http://www.radioways.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to jdw9113

This Problem has not been solved. I have noticed and got warning from Norton 360 that Firefox 5 is having high memory issues and I am not actively running the Flash it also crashed my 2nd life software during online play. While I do not understand all the technical programming behind direct x and flash player. It crashes on facebook applicatons after long play time. Norton warnings come up of high memory usage for firefox in just simple browsing. My system is Win 7 32 bit with a intel q9400 dual quad cpu and GEforce 9800GT. Norton specificaly warns that an entire cpu is being comsumed by Firefox. This did not happen until the lastest update to Flash Player 10. whatever. The Problem as stated by one person is that the Flashplayer is not deleting the trash and is bleeding out is a very good explination of the Problem. I clean up all files after each use and virus scan after each use of Firefox. Norton has been taking a very long time now in file cleanup and it did not do that before the lastest update. Adobe's employee that responded about the bug has been reported is fine but we need a solution. I agree blaming others for your lack of proper configuration of a product publishing it to the public and not checking with quality assurance proceedures in todays programming is a total lack of responsibility on the part of Adobe. This memory bleed over is a serious matter as it is comsuming resources without preoperly handling the trash. Adobe needs to get on this problem without delay.

with respect

MS Tech since 1984

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to jdw9113

at the moment im experiencing the same problem... youtube loads and ill give it maybe 20 seconds and it blocks, the same goes to anything flash on firefox... at the moment im using chrome and it doesnt seem to affect chrome or safari ive reinstalled firefox installed the update disinstalled flash installed the update and still nothing!! please fix the problem or any suggestion on how to fix the problem would be good.

thanxs!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 5:21 AM   in reply to jdw9113

I can comfirm the white flashing screen. Happens just before the Memory overload. Going back to an older version maybe a problem in it's self Java is plalying a role when the cashe is cleared for both it will stop for awhile. And yes it only occurs after long game play. Now you have the two plugins one for IE and other browsers and some games do not recognize the one for other browsers because they are developed on IE. It must be installed on both browser types to function for these games. Just another push it out the door and fix it later routine from today developers.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to Bonyak

Hello, I am able to reproduce the issue at radioways.com and we will look into this.  Thank you all for your reports.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 2:05 AM   in reply to jdw9113

The grey circle of death (GCOD)  means your Flashplayer Runtime is crashed.

All your swfs which were running on your machine will halt and display GCOD.

It is often happen in kiosk because kiosk usually using very large Image and swfs. it is highly correlative with memory using, fix memory leaks can reduce GCOD happen significantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 4:58 AM   in reply to joshdura

Unfortunately I am not a computer expert.  Is there any fix that can be explained simply with exact instructions as to what to do??  'Make the corrections' is as clear as mud.  Many thanks and any help is really appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to ladygardener155

No fix can be explained simply because it is the the game programmer that must stop the leaks and flashplayer. What I am talking about is just a simple fix to clear the overflow of the memmory leak and it is a work around only not  a fix. you can clear the Java cashe and close your browser for the crash and restart the game other than that it is the only solution for users right now. keep updating flashplayer as the udates come out and hope everyone can catch up to the issue so it will stop.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 12:15 AM   in reply to jdw9113

I think you can remove the div and then recreate it with javascript.  I just wish flash would fire an event that it is about to crash, that way I could do something about it. Also when I do trace, the cpu memory doesn't indicate a memory leak.  I posted on this blog, probably about a year ago and nobody has really addressed this problem yet. Sad days for adobe flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 6:31 AM   in reply to Aubreyff

well,memory leak is not only happen when memeory is full. I usually find some object instances keep growing in memeory(using profile tools in flash builder) but not used a lot memory, when i fact the GCODs. And when i solve that problem, like releasing the references of instance make it can be gc, the GCOD also solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 4:18 AM   in reply to Aubreyff

Sad days for Adobe...

I deeply regret my decision of developping our website 100% with flash technology...

http://www.radioways.com/

It is been a year we are informing Adobe about a huge bug making any flash player crash with exclamation Mark.
    The more your application is important, the fastest this bug happens as it is a leak of memory with flash player.

Chris Campbel answered saying they are taking in consideration this important problem.

But nothing has been done SINCE LAST YEAR

Yes Aubreyff, SAD DAYS FOR ADOBE
    The solution is to migrate to other langage... What a waste of time and money for us !!!
    For any person that is considering using Adobe, please consider this important leak of memory of Flash Player...

There is even a bug report :

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2928203.

But nothing has been done yet !!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 4:16 AM   in reply to jdw9113

Message to Chris Campbel,

Dear Chris,

When Adobe will take seriously in consideration this important bug of Flash Player ??

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2928203

Please help us.... It is not serious and acceptable for Adobe not to fix it.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 6:43 AM   in reply to jdw9113

Hey  all  i just  got one of my friends who is a software developer after several weeks of me having this same issue   we have came across the fact that  this is infact a ADOBE  issue but not with Flash player   you may all need to install a  the new shockwave Player  from here * http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/  *  that  solved the problem for me now i can play  my Farmville and watch Youtube vids and  do loads of things that  this issue wouldnt let me  or it would just load and than get that grey annoying circle !!!!

its worth a shot  

i had tried everything in the book  i was as close as formatting my hdd and  re installing windows  but thnk goodness  my friend mentioned to try shockwave  which was the ONLY  one  thing i haven't tried  and whaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it worked!!!!!!! good luck all

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 18, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to radioways1

Radioways and others affected on this thread,

I wanted to let you know that we are taking this bug seriously.  This has the attention of the Flash Player management team and we know that this is a serious issue for you and others running into memory leaks.  While the public bug was marked "Closed/Deferred/Not enough time" for Flash Player 11.1, it is being investigated for 11.2.  Right now the internal status is Open/ToFix, please feel free to ping me in the up coming weeks for an update.  You can reach me on this thread or email me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com

Thanks,

Chris

radioways1 wrote:

Message to Chris Campbel,

Dear Chris,

When Adobe will take seriously in consideration this important bug of Flash Player ??

Please help us.... It is not serious and acceptable for Adobe not to fix it.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2011 9:03 PM   in reply to jesica83

ok I will do that with shockwave because I had installed it prior to flash pl;ayer going crazy because I listen to internet music while playing games. So if this fixes the problem, I  will post this info after I test it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 3:42 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Dear Chris,

In my opinion this issue is getting rather out of hand.

Since Decamber 7th, many users of various software and sites are experiencing serious problems, effecting the way they use or are no longer able to use the services provided. The problem is being discussed on various forums and boards where I participate.

Examples include: imagevenue, megaupload, rapidshare, basically anything that uses flashplayer to provide a box to enter information. Browsers effected appear to include all older versions of IE, all versions of Mozilla's firefox and all versions of Opera. I do not have information on Google Chrome yet. Operating systems effected appear to be all versions of Windows before and including XP. I do not have information concerning Vista, 7 or other Operating systems yet. One of the problems is that the software developers of the sites and browsers mentioned simply build or update their sites around the latest version of flashplayer without checking if it works on all (or most) systems.

Would you please be kind enough to update your message of November the 18th and give a progress report, or better still a bug-fix?

Thank you in advance!    Mike.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Dec 14, 2011 2:09 PM   in reply to cucumberland

Hi Mike,

The bug against memory leaks for audio streaming is still under investigation (currently marked Open / To Fix in our internal database).  However, it sounds like you're referring to possibly something else.  Can you open a new bug, giving specific steps to reproduce, over at bugbase.adobe.com?  I don't want your issue to be missed and getting a bug in is the best way to make sure we investigate.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 11:31 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I would answer your question but unfortunately the adobe forum is not

displaying as it should. There is no "reply" option available at all. I

have tried 4 browsers. Please advise.

Edit: I was using google chrome. This seems to partially work now on IE, but I had to re-load and the forum iself is not displaying as it should.

A few updates. As far as I know a version of Flash Player version 11.2 was out and available before you wrote that you were still working on the 11.1 bug fixes. I have been able to download this and a few problems have been corrected, but not all.

The problems I have had using services such as megaupload, imagevenue and now even youtube have been resolved by browsing with Google Chrome.

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to jdw9113

how about today guys,do you hv solution for this issue?im newbie here...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to hadixavier1232

It has been several different causes update to the latest version and install the most current java before you continue troubleshooting. This issue has not been addressed for several months, most of us assume it has been corrected with the latest versions. Check your cashe on Java and your browser. You need to post your browser version and what other versions of flash player and Java your using for us to give you any other suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to Bonyak

chrome 19.0.1084.15 beta-m

java  Version 6 Update 31

flash version 11,2,202,229

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to hadixavier1232

Ok let one of the others answer I use FireFox and IE it is better if one of the others help u trouble shoot it..  I will give u somethings to look at go to java console and clear cache. When you close the browser make sure it clears the cache or manually clear the cache. If it occurs only after long game play, this is a memory leak. The time varies somewhat but it is at least over 1hr. it usually occurs for me after about 3hrs of game play.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Bonyak

ive no idea,but still get gray mark when simultaneously open 48 youtube tabs...any options?

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Apr 19, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to hadixavier1232

hadixavier1232 wrote:

ive no idea,but still get gray mark when simultaneously open 48 youtube tabs...any options?

If you've got 48 tabs open, then it's hardly surprising that you're experiencing a problem. Here's an explanation of what's happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Xircal

Yeah little details like 48 TABS Open are not to be left out when you advise us. LOL.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to Xircal

thanks

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Apr 20, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to hadixavier1232

hadixavier1232 wrote:

chrome 19.0.1084.15 beta-m

java  Version 6 Update 31

flash version 11,2,202,229

Strictly speaking, you should be posting this problem on the Google forums, not here because the Flash player in Chrome is intergrated and updates itself silently in the background. Google will be more likely to know what the cause of the problem might be. The Adobe forums on the other hand only deal with Flash player as a plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris.

Will you please update us about this issue?
    Is it about to be solved?
    How can we follow it's status?

Just to be clear, the grey circle of deatch (GCOD) issue is still occues.
    I noticed it only at Youtube.
    I'm getting the GCOD randomly, usualy after 3-4 videos of about 3-5 minutes in their best quality (720 or 1080).
    Of course I can see the memory leak, and the large amount of page faults (via the task manager).

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 1, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to need4steer

need4steer,

If you are referring to this bug:

It was found that the developer was using the sound object which is not meant for audio streaming.  Instead, they should be using the NetStream API.  For more details, please see this blog post:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/icecast-streams.html

If you're concerned about other out of memory conditions, please see the article that Xircal posted further back in the thread.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris.

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I am referring to the bug you linked me to (Bug#2928203), though I can't see how the solution is connected to YouTube (this is the only place I noticed the GCOD so far).

Are you saying that they are using the sound object which is not meant for audio streaming too?

Anyway at the bug link you can see that the behavior that jmadle123 described there (at May 4, 2012 at 7:44:12 AM PDT) is exactly my behavior - I'm opening a tab, viewing a video, then closing the tab, and opening a video in a new tab - and so on. After 3-4 times of this at 720p/1080p, or after 7-10 times at 320p/480p, I'm getting the GCOD.

If I'm looking at the Task Manager, I also can clearly see that one of Internet Explorer's processes is taking at least 600 M (the other are 3-4 processess are usually far behind him). I see this in the "Working Set (Memory)" column. I can also see a large amount of page faults (in the "Page Faults" column).

I looked at Xircal posts too.

His link to Deke Smith's article at your blog was helpful to understanding the GCOD issue.

According to this article, the GCOD is a "generic memory error icon was added for version 10.1 and will appear within a browser when the Flash Player has been particularly abused or is running in a very low memory environment." ... "either the browser does not get memory sufficient for its needs from the system and/or objects are being created and not released for garbage collection within Flash."

Sounds like we are familiar well enough with the issue, but how this problem can be addressed?
    Why the memory is leaking when I play a few videos at YouTube?
    Is there a thing I can do in order to address this issue (besides replacing a browser or opening and closing too many tabs)?

Here is a link to Deke Smith's article, "What is the gray circle with an exclamation mark (or bang)?", at your blog:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/dekesmith/2011/11/09/what-is-the-gray-circle-wi th-an-exclamation-mark-or-bang/

BTW, I'm using Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with the latest Flash Player (11.2.202.235). The same issue occurs at Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 5, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to need4steer

Thanks for the follow up.  I believe we're dealing with a different bug here, though they both have the same end result (out of memory).  Can you open a new bug up on your YouTube / IE example?  Have you given our 11.3 beta 3 release a try to see if it also occurs there?

Thanks,
    Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Yes, of course.

I'll open a new bug.

I'm guessing you'd like me to try 11.3 beta 3 release, so I'll try it.

After that shall I post the results in a new discussion, or shall we keep this discussion going?

And as for the bug, I ran into "Adobe Bug and Issue Management System" at: http://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Shall I register there also, or is it just like if I'll add a bug via "Add Bug" at: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=newBug?

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points