Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble Opening NEF in CS4 Camera Raw

Jun 26, 2011 5:57 PM

I have a Nikon D5100 and I'm trying to open some NEF(Raw) images that were taken by it in Photoshop CS4 Camera Raw. I can see the thumbnails in Bridge and I have the updated my Camera Raw Plug-In for v.5.7.0.213, but it will not open them. Instead it gives me a message saying "Could not complete your request because it is not the rightkind of document." When I was shooting with my Nikon D80 I had no problems accessing the images, but now I do. I have a buisness that has been put on hold until I can solve this problem. Please, how can I fix this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2011 6:42 PM   in reply to BlueLight_Photo

Download the free DNG Converter and convert the NEFs to DNG or upgrade to Photoshop CS5. And in the future I would advise checking for camera support before you buy a new camera...the support for your camera wasn't added until ACR/DNG Converter 6.4.1 (which means your software is no longer up to date). BTW a quick search should have told you this...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2011 8:21 PM   in reply to BlueLight_Photo

BlueLight_Photo wrote:

…the DNG converter was unable to convert the images…

But did you actually use version 6.4 of the Adobe DNG Converter?

Did you run it on the folder containing your NEFs as per the instructions?

What error message did you get?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to BlueLight_Photo

I'm having the same problem with not being able to opening RAW files from my new D5100 in CS4.  I've tried the above suggestion to download the  6.4 (6.4.1) Adobe DNG Converter and have not been able to get it to work.  When I check the Adobe website it states "The Camera Raw 6.4.1 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS5".  Maybe this is only the case for MAC?  I would appreciate any specific information that might help as I was told that I would not have to upgrade anything when going from the Nikon D70s.  I've got about 1500 files that I need to open and I've spent hours trying to determine if there is some magic that will allow me to use CS4 or not.  

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to dogtography

dogtography wrote:

When I check the Adobe website it states "The Camera Raw 6.4.1 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS5".

Correct...Camera Raw 6.4.1 WON'T work with Photoshop CS4...that's why you have to download the DNG Converter and convert those raw files to DNG which is a file format that allows backwards compatibility all the way back to ACR 2.4 in Photoshop CS. Did you donload the DNG Converter or Camera Raw? You want the DNG Converter.

BTW, in the future you would be better off starting a new topic rather than piling on to a thread whose last post was almost a year ago...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Yes, that makes sense to me now. After a lot of investigation and some patient assistance I finally got it worked out; however it did take a considerable amount of time because I had so many files to convert so it was a lot more work than I was expecting. Thanks for your follow up.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points