Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

as a ex-Final Cut Pro editor coming to Premiere Pro, the only thing that I'm missing is Apple Color. I mainly edit h264 Canon 7D and 5D files now directly in Premiere Pro. I'm thinking about using Davinci Resolve to color correct my footage. Is there any one who use Resolve with Premiere Pro? Can you export Premiere Pro project and color correct it directly in Resolve? Is there some issue with it?

Thanks for you help,

Philippe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with Resolve, but Colorista II from Red Giant gets high marks around here.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-colorista-II/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would love to hear more about this workflow. Now that apple has dropped the bomb I am hoping Premiere will be my new editor, easier to pick up at this point then avid and since I already have production premium I can spend the $1000 on Resolve and have a fairly complete solution for edit/graphics/finish. It seems like exporting an EDL from Pr and conforming in Resolve would be a straight forward workflow but what about getting back to Pr? Anyone have experience with this workflow?

Kevin Stanley

Local 600 DIT

Orange County CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regularly take footage (AVCHD, QT, DNxHD) and an EDL into Resolve at a facility I use.

From Resolve we go into Flame and finish.

Works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, what about roundtripping back to Pr for export, does that also work well? Ideally I'd like to roundtrip from Pr to Resolve (Color Correct) and back to Pr for export using matrox max h.264 for timed dailies and use the Q4000 for accelerated export of timed prores or MXF deliverables from Resolve at the same time.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Kevin Stanley

Local 600 DIT

Orange County, CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black Magic announced in April that they will support CS5.5.

Here's a link to their press release.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/press/pressdetails/?releaseID=11838

Although it doesn't mention Resolve specifically, I can't imagine that it's not supported now.  I would contact them directly.

You may also want to take a look at Color Finesse.  It's a plugin that comes bundled with After Effects.  I fell in love with it and purchased the full version so I could access it in Premiere Pro.

Here's their link.

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products/cf/index.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the information.

I have contacted Black Magic about that, I will post their response on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info regarding BM support. I will give color finesse a look as well.

Kevin Stanley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont totally ignore the CC tools inside of Premiere just to get a prettier GUI form a 3rd party plugin. .

Even the Secondaries in PPRO can do a great job.

Big advantage of using PPRO CC tools if you have MPE / CUDA etc...is Realtime CC and playback..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the response I got from Black Magic:

Hi Philippe,

You can use XML to send your Edit and native files into DaVinci Resolve,
Grade in real-time with our tracker,windows, secondary's etc.. Then Render
your clips and Export an XML that you can re import into Premier Pro.

It's nice and easy!

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just finished a 45min documentary with Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve. Here are a few informations:

If you want to keep you effect like dip to white it's best to export your Premiere Pro sequence as a Final Cut Pro XML. The problem then is that Resolve 8 needs a XML FCP version 5 file and currently Premiere Pro export it as a version 4. So you need to open the sequence with Final Cut Pro, then reexport it as a XML FCP v5 file and then you can import it into Resolve. It seems that Adobe is working on a fix for that.

For rendering and exporting back to Premiere Pro, you can use the preset "FCP7 XML roundtrip" on the render page and then I export the project in the conform tab in Resolve. The XML file can then be read by Premiere Pro directly.

You could start by exporting a AAF file from Premiere Pro but it seems that there is less special effect (dip to white for exemple) that is supported, and it takes so long to export as AAL and then I didn't find a way to import it correctly into Resolve 8.

One problem to watch out for is that you can't have two different clips with the same file name (on a different directory). For Premiere Pro it's not a problem but when you try conform you XML file, Resolve looks for the clip and it doesn't necessary find the good one. I did have that kind of problem with Color, so I didn't paid attention to that, but for my documentary project, I had at least 5 times a file with the name MVI_0001.mov and Resolve mess it up.

Hope this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It seems that Adobe is working on a fix for that.

Yes, we are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go.

Install the Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update and let us know how it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export XML from Premiere 5.5.1

Import this into Resolve.

It's working!

Export XML from Resolve

Import this into Premiere.

It work's also, but the Sequence lost it's interlace setting.

(Allow Field Render in Resolve is ticked)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestin flashomatik. Can you file your issue on the bug/feature request form? http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huenkaboink Gasurksel wrote:

It work's also, but the Sequence lost it's interlace setting.

(Allow Field Render in Resolve is ticked)

Do you mean interlacing or frame blending? It should keep it's interlacing, but Resolve doesn't support frame blending so this info gets lost in the xml interchange. I'd love it if Da Vinci at leasts carried the frame blending setting through the xml, so this info was retained when re-importing the finished xml back to an nle.

julietlimapapagolf wrote:

I have the same problem... a long (1 hour) talk, and would prefer to grade in Resolve. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to bring the sequence into Resolve using Premiere Pro's Export XML.

You can always export a flattened movie file, and then have Resolve's scene detector cut it up. It does a pretty good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works ok now, thanks!

But there is a problem with multicam sequence: Resolve can't read them

Here is what I found on the web:

I will try to make it clearer. In Premiere Pro 5.5, I place 2 track together, Nest them then enable Multicam. After finished editing, I export XML then import the project to Davinci.

Davinci can recognize all clips, except the multicam edit, what I tried to say is the clips' name were replace by the name of the Nest sequence so Davinci cannot find them, we must do it manually.

I think this problem would be fixed by Adobe, by using the the original footage's name, instead of Nest sequence name.

Would that be possible to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem... a long (1 hour) talk, and would prefer to grade in Resolve. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to bring the sequence into Resolve using Premiere Pro's Export XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very annoyed by this as well, have CS6 and it's not an easy task to go back and forth. Resolve is a standard so I fail to understand why Adobe hasn't included the correct XML version in their latest CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0S2MJT9wDY, but if you can get it to work, you are a magician.  From what I read it is supposed to work most of the time.  That would not be helpful to me even if I could get it to work.  The problem is that Resolve links the wrong clips to it's timeline (yes, even ones with entirely different names).  Color Finesse is a pretty good program if you're doing very basic stuff, but it is seriously lacking otherwise.  It does not have the ability to use masks, let alone track them.  I was very excited for Speedgrade when I upgraded to CS6, but Speedgrade is pathetic at best.  There is only one color correction control, no curves adjustment, and the only way to be able to see the controls to  use them is to minimize the monitor panel to the point where to clips are too small to be useful.  Aside from a so-so tracker, you'd probably have better luck using the three-way corrector in Premiere.  Davinci is a powerhouse, unfortunately no one was smart enough to make it useable with any of the big-name editing software.  If someone has found a better way PLEASE let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, after two months of experiments with different versions I found a R3D-Premiere-Resolve workflow that really works for me.

1.  Edit R3D in Premiere 6.0

2. Export Final Cut Pro XML from Premiere.

3. Add used R3D files into Media Pool in Resolve 9.1.1 Lite.

4. Import XML to Resolve.

5. Grade.

6. Export using easy setup - Final Cut Pro XML Round-Trip, but change codec to QuickTime Uncompressed RGB 8 bits (that one works only, without any problems).

7. Go to Conform page and export EDL.

8. Import EDL to Premiere and Link Media.

Done)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try this kind of workflow.

For classic edit, it's work.

But, if we add some speed variations in Premiere 6.0 (aka "time ramping"). Resolve doesn't accept this effect.

A xml file, with time ramping effect made in FCP7 is accepted by Resolve.

somebody can help me ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Resolve understand linear time effects only, something like "1000% faster" works good. For various time effects in a clip I prefer to do it after grading.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks ishidden. You confirm this "problem" or "limit" of a xml file from premiere.

To the Adobe Staff :

Is it possible to improve the xml file generation from premiere ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines