Skip navigation
Steve Little
Currently Being Moderated

Newbie Question My Photos print and show desaturated color

Jun 30, 2011 4:40 AM

Hi I have a feeling there is a very simple answer to this. My photos which I mainly process in Lightroom 3 (with some adjustments in Photoshop CS3) print and show desaturated colors wether or not they are RAW or JPEG. I have applied camera profile settings such as landscape, to raw files but when I export them as a jpg and send to a photo shop to print they are still desaturated. Also when I send a stand alone file to a media contact it shows desaturated to them. If I deliberately adjust my monitor to Pro RGB it appears to show the true colour that others are seeing. I have attempted to over saturate to get a reasonable print but clearly this is not correct.

Proberbly an easy question for someone out there but I am having trouble resolving it.

Many Thanks

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2011 12:48 PM   in reply to Steve Little

Please click on the link below and read the entire site carefully.  Then follow the instructions to the letter.

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html

In a nutshell:

• Calibrate and profile your monitor.  Set the resulting profile as your monitor profile.  Never use a device independent color space (such as ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB or sRGB) as your monitor profile.  Only use your calibrated profile specific to your monitor.

• honor the embedded profile in each file;

• when sending your images to a run-of-the mill lab, convert your images to sRGB (do not use assign profile; use CONVERT to profile) and embed the sRGB profile in them.

The above site explains it all to you.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 12:52 PM   in reply to Steve Little

Big-Steve wrote:

…I have applied camera profile settings such as landscape, to raw files…

Both Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw ignore all your in-camera settings (except Exposure and White Balance) in RAW files.  In-camera settings apply only to JPEGs.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 6:07 AM   in reply to Tai Lao

I was kind of having the same problem. Thanks though for your advice. It really is a great help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points