Skip navigation
CandleManDave1977
Currently Being Moderated

Dynamic Link Replacing w/ After Effects

Jun 30, 2011 2:48 AM

I'm on a PC Windows7 Home Premium 2.88 AMD w/ 14GB Ram--- Production Premium CS5-

I have two cameras I am  editing a wedding.

Camera 1's footage containing about 6 seperate files is on one path of the time line (path 1)

Camera 2's footage is on the second.

I trim the clips to have the entire ceremony go from camera to camera to create the best scenes for the ceremony.

Since SA's Color Finesse has better features to color grade, what I did was right click the cut clips and clicked 'replace w/ after effects composition.' The first one asked me to save a file which I did. I then went down to the different cut clips (some of them on the same source file, some not and I sent them to AE in the same fashion to grade.  One time AE and PP crashed and when I reopened the project, the clips were red. I was able to manually relink the clips, but when I when I closed the programs and wanted to do this same process, I had to save another file which then made all the clips I had previously worked on red and missing.

I know there must be a pattern or rule that must be followed or else it all goes to crap. What is the pattern???

I also tried to color grade in AE and then I sent the AE file into PP it said that it did not have SA Color Finese 2.0 in PP  (which mine is suppossed to be 3.0 in AE), thus all my work that way is wasted unless I render.

Thus, I want to be able to trim, arrange my clips in PP, then color grade w/ SA CF in AE. I don't like the color tools in PP.  Am I stuck w/ having to buy something to color grade in PP? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2011 3:46 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Hi

Have a look at these two threads:

- the first one;

- the second one

Hope, it helps...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 2:46 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Nope.

So as to create Dynamic Link you may either right click on a footage in PrPro timeline and replace it witn After Effects composition or create a composition right in AE and then import it to PrPro project via Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import After Effects Composition...

If you try to export your AE composition, which has third party plug-in effects, as PrPro project and open that project in PrPro, you always get an Error.

If you right click on existing AE composition in PrPro timeline and choose 'Replace With After Effects Composition', you obviously replace it with a brand new composition. But you still have previous one in your project bin.

Dynamically Linked AE composition is editable within AE at any time.

There are no needs to open this composition in AE so as to play it on PrPro timeline.

If you have some issues with playing recently edited AE composition in PrPro, including displaying correct content, you just have some issues with rendering.

All you nedd is to re-render Entire Work Area

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 2:04 PM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

You like Color Finess. So do I. As well as other AE plug-ins and AE itself - it's awesome!

Do I use Dynamically Linked AE compositions in my PrPro projects? I can't live without!

I usually create a 'heavy' AE composition in one AE project file, whereas some 'lighter' other in another one.

And all they would be then linked and work in PrPro project...

Just try to be a bit patient (breath in, breath out), re-read what I was talking about and try to experiment... All you need is there...

You may have a look at that thread in addition...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 2:38 PM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

CandlemanDave, I just tried to replicate your problem. I am on a MacPro running CS 5.5. This may not be exactly what you are doing, but in terms of DL I think its the same process..

1. I import a 2 min. clip

2. I select the first 5:00 sec and edit it to the timeline.

3. I I then select from 5:00 to 10 sec. and edit to timeline

4. And repeat 3 more time for a total of 5 clips in a sequence.

5. I hilight clip 1, right clik and send to AE. I give it a unique name, color correct and SAVE.

6. I return to PP and render clip 1.

7. Then I highlight the second clip, send to AE, name it a different name, CC it and save.

8. I tab back to PP and render the second clip.

9. Rrepeat 3 more times. Then save the project.

10. I close PP then open it again. There is a period where PP searches for the clips when it displays the word "Pending" and then the sequence is restored as I cut and cc it.

When Im done there is 1 file for PP and 5 files for AE. Each AE file represents the color correction of each clip. This maybe where we differ in work flow. But I can vouch for the reliability of this approach. I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to lasvideo

So CandleMan have you resolved your issues with dynamic link?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 9:36 PM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

I understand. In my testing today I came to the same conclusion. All the AE linked files MUST be in the same AE project or things get wonky.Your trick about activating the file by using Edit Original just to get it open is smart.

Ive also had the render files disappear when I shut everything down and then started up editing again. But it didnt seem to consistantly happen.

I think your discovery about have ALL the AE linked files in the same AE project is crucial to this process. Nice work. Please keep me posted as things develop and I will do the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 9:39 PM   in reply to lasvideo

PLEASE IGNORE MY STEP BY STEP DESCRIPTION  REPEATED HERE. ITS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THIS PROCESS.

1. I import a 2 min. clip

2. I select the first 5:00 sec and edit it to the timeline.

3. I I then select from 5:00 to 10 sec. and edit to timeline

4. And repeat 3 more time for a total of 5 clips in a sequence.

5. I hilight clip 1, right clik and send to AE. I give it a unique name, color correct and SAVE.

6. I return to PP and render clip 1.

7. Then I highlight the second clip, send to AE, name it a different name, CC it and save.

8. I tab back to PP and render the second clip.

9. Rrepeat 3 more times. Then save the project.

10.  I close PP then open it again. There is a period where PP searches for  the clips when it displays the word "Pending" and then the sequence is  restored as I cut and cc it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 12:54 AM   in reply to lasvideo
    How does that work ?..

UPD: Something is going wrong with Adobe image uploader now... Here is the link to full size image

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 1:43 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Wrong answer!

What did you actually see on the picture?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

1. There are tree AE comps on the timeline, which are stored in TREE DIFFERENT AE projects.

2. AE is not running, whereas the PrPro project timeline is green.

As I have already told you, it doesn't matter how to create Dynamic Links - by replacing footages in PrPro timeline via right-click and 'Replace With After Effects Composition' or building a composition from scratch in AE and then importing via Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import After Effects Composition...

What you DO really have with Dynamic Links in CS5.5 is some bugs with rendering (perhaps, related to CUDA and Mercury Playback Engyne - I don't know).

And what DO you really need to solve the issue is to re-render 'Entire Work Area' but not just 'Effects in Work Area' after editing your AE composition.

And all you need to get access to that option in case it's grey is to select and copy a composition on the timeline into clipboard (Ctrl+C / Cmd+C).

What is more, all the above was in my very first post...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 3:14 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977
    I'm on a PC Windows7
    then your system is different
    keep on...

Unsubscribed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 7:44 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Candle. please describe in detail the second approach where you rename the clips in a step by step fashion. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around exactly how & where you are doing this.Please create a numbered list like I did earlier for you. I think that will clarify it for me.

I tend to like Approach 1 where all the AE linked clips are in the same AE project just for organizational purposes, but want to at least understand Approach 2 where you can have several AE projects.

It might be a good idea to combine both approachs...have all the DL clips in one AE project but renamed for safety?  Becuase if you are working on a big project and need to add one more DL, it may save memory to create a new AE project and the redundant name issue could rear its ugly head here.

PMing sound like a good way to go unless other folks are interesting in solving this issue as well.

I dont know if its a language barrier or just me, but Im not really following what Fuzzy is talking about and how rendering is effecting his issues.

BTW Im on a Mac Pro / 8 gigs ram / Ati graphcis card / OSX  10.6.7

Where is the video you said you just made. I dont see a link.

BTW, what part of the world are you located in? Someday this stuff might get so confusing I might need to call for clarification and better communication.

Im in Las Vegas (hence the Las Video).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 9:12 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Since you mentioned it, I am very interested in seeing this video and nailing down this workflow as well.  DL is the main reason I switched over from FCP7, and I haven't had the opportunity to fully wrap my head around it yet.  You have gotten me worried that one false move can wipe out so much!  Seems like having a very rigid workflow with this can save many butts.  Thanks to all of you who have put in the time for others, and I hope to contribute as well.  PS - Las, is your Kona card up and running smoothly?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 10:10 AM   in reply to needles27-Sm3DjP

Needles, the Konq 3 is up and running. It displays PrP, AE and PS on my engineering monitor Just a little more tweekingof the drivers is needed when working with DL.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 12:20 PM   in reply to lasvideo

What problems come up with your monitoring when doing a DL?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 4:04 PM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Dave, so if Im following correctly, you change the name (in PrPs project window) of the new AE DL file that you just createdt. But the thing that concerns me is that the name of the DL file in the PrP project and the name of the same DL file in AE project are different, since you said to only change the name of the new AE linked file inPrP. You didnt say anything about chaging the name in AE. If you need trace files at a later point, isnt dangerous having 1 file with a different name in each application?

I sent you a PM with details for furthur communication.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2011 11:24 AM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Thats pretty ironic about the bug happening when you tried to document the process. I concur, 1 AE project for all the DL's related for 1 PrP project...until we discover otherwise

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP/After Effects Editor

[url deleted by host]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to CandleManDave1977

Hi all - I know this is a somewhat old post, but I am seeing the same thing with CS5.5, all current updates.  I'll be using the method of 1 AE file for all of my replaced clips. 

BUT, has Adobe acknowledged this, talked about, replied, etc?  I can't seem to find anything about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to Arlo Ihrig

So far I haven't experienced these issues. I coldn't follow what CandleMan was doing wrong. I wonder if he wasn't clicking save after color corrections in AE for each clip? All of my clips are connected and I've closed and restarted AE in the same timeline to clear up ram. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Update: I can't duplicate the problem. I have no problem with dynamic link to replace clip with AE. I even closed AE midway and restarted the replace clip with AE, creating a new AE file with a different name and it all works perfectly. I can close the PP project, reopen it, all the clips are on line, and can edit each original clip by right clicking.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points