Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat X on OS X 10.6.8 Printing Fails

Jul 3, 2011 2:14 PM

I am printing to an Epson Stylus Photo 280, and have installed the lastest Epson Printer Update 2.7 via software update.

Whenever I try and print the printer starts to make noise, but then the printing fails and I get the following error message every time:

"Error: /Library/Printers/Epson/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpll.app/cont ents/MacOS/rasteroescpll failed"

I can print any PDF using preview, but nothing prints via Acrobat X. Any PDF I try instantly fails.

Does anyone have any ideas on this, as bascially this makes Acrobat X pretty useless.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2011 3:47 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

When did you install the update, and when did you install 10.6.8, and when did the problem start?

It would appear to appear a problem with the driver software. Can you try downloading the previous drivers?

You could also try selecting "Print as image" from the Advanced print options, which is usually better for inkjets.

There is of course much more to Acrobat than just its ability to print PDFs, which is something that many apps, like Preview, can do. So Acrobat is not "useless"..!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

It's not happening to most people but some have reported printing problems under 10.6.8. See the link below:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Suffers Printing and Audio Problems

One fix is to run the 10.6.8 Combo Updater as described in the article.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 6:46 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Interesting. I had not seen this or heard of any such problems.

However, it would be wise to keep an open mind at this stage. The fact that some people have problems caused by "X" does not mean that "X" causes all problems.

If printing works for Jonah from Preview, then that doesn't fit the description. It might be worth checking the Console utility for the log messages mentioned in the article, though.

However, I would also be very wary of running third-party tools that patch the system at such a low-level in this way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

Try downloading and installing the latest driver for your printer from

Epson. Although, apple tries to keep up. Sometimes the Vendor has a newer driver than apple does.

Oh be sure to go to Printer/Fax and remove your printer. Install new Driver, then re-add driver back in Printer/Fax.

Problems can be caused by no doing this. Printer/Fax will retain the settings from the old driver until this is done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

PjonesCET wrote:

Try downloading and installing the latest driver for your printer from

Epson. Although, apple tries to keep up. Sometimes the Vendor has a newer driver than apple does.

EPSON's own website recommends contacting Apple for Snow Leopard drivers, and getting them directly from Apple through the Software Update mechanism.

The only drivers available on their website are dated 2009 and 2010.

(HP told me that they didn't support Snow Leopard, and didn't even know that Apple was supplying drivers for my printer, suggesting that Apple's drivers might be faulty, despite the fact that the code had "© HP" all over it!!! )

Most vendors now supply their drivers directly to Apple for distribution. However, I have found that the latest are not always the best.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 7:48 AM   in reply to benwiggy

here from epson. seems they supply drivers by the product now.

http://screencast.com/t/fgRFjbjnW

http://screencast.com/t/Zk8txX3wWp

from HP:

http://screencast.com/t/AjgZQPkiSZD

http://screencast.com/t/0cC8kAlC5R

http://screencast.com/t/zns1yw7Qm

The felow from HP isn't looking at their own website.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

Jonah_Lee wrote:

Well it certainly seems to be driver related.

After looking at the console logs, I decided to try out the latest Gutenprint CUPS drivers and I installed Gutenprint 5.2.7 for my Epson Stylues R280, and low and behold, if I use the Gutenprint driver, I can get Acrobat to Print. So bascially this looks like something incompatible with the Epson driver. Is anyone able to print to an R280 using Acrobat X with the Apple installed Epson drivers? Am I the only one with this problem?

The problem of asking that question is that it's probably pretty unlikely that anyone else actually running an Epson Stylus R280 and Acrobat X under 10.6.8 will actually read your question. There are just too many variables...too many printers out there. Among the dozens of people who will read the post, almost all will be running other printers or other configurations.

You might see if there are any Epson user forums to finder other users of that printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 28, 2011 2:15 PM   in reply to Jonah_Lee

I don't know if you were ever able to resolve your problem, but I've been having a similar problem with 10.6.8, Acrobat 9 Pro and Acrobat Reader 10, and a Brother MFC 3240C inkjet. Since about a week ago, when I changed several ink cartridges, the system will not print PDF's.

It prints every other kind of file, but with PDF's, it just spits out blank pages even though the printer makes all the regular noises and paper motions like it's printing and the display shows data going to the printer.

However, the "print as image" suggestion did seem to work. Wondering if upgrading to 10.7 might help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points