• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text animation dialog box does not come up

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed Captivate 5.5 after using Cap4 for many years. When I click to insert a text animation, no dialong box appears. I have tried several projects and several different slides within each project. Still no dialog box. I have the latest Flash player. I am using WinXP. I checked for any updates or patches. I checked the CPAnimationsUtil.dll and it is the latest version.  I have searched the forums but have not found an answer. Can someone help?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is this happening in a new project or in an upgraded one?

Not sure where to search for a cause. Do you have this issue from the start on? Perhaps something went wrong, and you could try to uninstall and reinstall. If it was not from the start on you could try to clear the cache, or eventually to delete the folder with the Preferences. It is certainly not a common issue.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the same issue happens for widgets as well? Please confirm .. Also as lilybri suggested .. deleting the preference can also help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dialog box comes up when I try to insert a widget but everytime I select one, I get a message

that says the widget is not valid.I will

try deleting the preference file but since this started happening as soon as I installed Cap5, I am not confident that it will take care of the issue. But it is definitely worth a shot! Thank you for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the preference folder but still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I totally HATE the way that Adobe implemented the Widget installation. Why? Because there are two ways. One is more or less foolproof while the other lulls you into a false world where everything appears to be rainbows and butterflies but isn't.

Sounds like you are using Insert > Widget. That's certainly valid, but the thing is, a Widget is nothing more than a Flash file. While ALL widgets are Flash files, not all Flash files are widgets.

My preferred way to insert Widgets is by using the Widget panel opened via Window > Widget. Using the Widget panel will only recognize and present actual Widgets.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried insertng a Widget as you suggested and the Widget box appears but there are no widgets to select. I made sure that the filter included all but still no Widgets. Not sure if this problem is related to my text animation problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 4 text animations are a different animal to those found in Captivate 5.  In Cp5, text animations are actually a special kind of widget.  I would recommend that you remove all of the text animations from your upgraded project and recreate them again in Cp5.  Normally this gets done when you upgrade a project from Cp4 to Cp5 but in your case there may be something interferring with the process (perhaps other widgets).

Do you have the same issue getting the dialog box to appear if you open a new blank project in Cp5 and try to insert a text animation?  If it works in a new project file then I would think perhaps there is a problem with your upgraded project.  Perhaps some corruption.

Widgets in Cp4 could be either AS2 or AS3.  In Cp5 they can only be AS3.  So if there are any widgets in this upgraded project, you need to be absolutely sure they are NOT AS2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to point to the folder with the widgets, if they do not show up,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this means that your Text Animation issue is not linked with the Widgets not showing up, correct?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I pointed to the correct folder for the Widgets, both the Widgets appeared and the text animation suddenly began working so , yes, it would seem that these problems were caused by the same issue. Thanks for everyones help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to insert any widgets or SWF files.  I've tried both insert methods for widgets.  I'm pointing to the correct folders.  The correct folder windows open and I can select animations or widgets, and I can see widgets in the preview and try to insert from there.  When the correct file is selected nothing happens abosolutely nothing.  No dialog box for properties opens.  I've minimized the window and moved it around.  I'm using two monitors so I have lots of room and I know it's not hiding.  I'm on Windows XP Service Pack 3 (can't upgrade - gov).  I've updated Captivate and it says it is current.  I've updated Flash Player to the latest version.  I've added the correct folders and files to permissions in Flash Player.  What else should I try.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And while I'm asking questions, why can I reply but when I try to post a new question I get a screen that says I'm unauthorized to post here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Have you tried restarting Captivate? I've seen it in classroom situations where after it has been used for a while it begins behaving oddly. Restarting generally corrects it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

How do I "...point to the folder with the widgets..."?

I'm experiencing the same problem with text animation.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the folder icon (highlighted in yellow) to change the path to the widgets folder, or use the Browse icon (highlighted in blue) to browse to the widgets:

BrowseWidget.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

One thing you might consider trying would be to grab the title bar of Captivate and drag the window so most of it is off screen. I've encountered instances in version 5 where dialogs that should be in front actually end up being placed behind the application. They are there, but you cannot see them until you move the main application away in order to uncover them.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this too. Still no luck...

I am searching for the preference file now. Could it have something to do with my Flash version? I converted a project from Cap4 that already had a text animation in it.When I try to view the animation, some letters appear in the middle of the slide but no where near where they were supposed to be. If I try to view the animation from the window (I can click an existing text animation but rather than the dialog box, I get the Properties Window), I only see a black screen with a flash moving across it. My Flash version is WIN 10,3,181,26.

I cannot locate the preference file. Here is my path: C:\Documents and Settings\lindam\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Captivate 5.5. I tried to search for it but came up empty. Perhaps that is the problem. I will try reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too - v5.5 on Mac.

I've tried everything mentioned above, including reinstalling Captivate. My widgets panel points to the right folder and I can successfully insert every type of object - except text animations.

I had a colleague send me a slide that she had inserted a text animation in and I can see it. I can also edit the properties for it but the effects list in the properties panel is blank.

It seems that something is wrong with the path to the text animation folder somehow.

I have no idea what to try next.

Does anybody have any suggestions or know how I might go about correcting this if it's a problem with the path to the text animations folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I uninstalled Captivate and reinstalled it, previously I had just run the installation process without uninstalling first to try and avoid creating additional issues and retain my defaults if possible.

I couldn't think of anything else to do given the time frames I am working to.

Problem resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources