• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf form calculation not calculating

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a form yesterday - with the extensive help of a forum member - and thought it was fine until I checked it online.  I have a column of items with quantity x price = total, and a grand total at the end that adds the individual totals. 

Problem:  when I test it, it never picks up the last item entered (whichever one it is) and so the grand total is always wrong.  This obviously renders the form useless!

The form is at drronaldlevant.com/new/orderform.pdf.  Can anyone find the bug? 

BTW I used Acrobat 9 pro on a macbook.  Tested on mac and pcs, and friends' macs and pcs.  Same issue everywhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the field calculation order is incorrect. To correct it, go into forms editing mode (Forms > Add or Edit Fields) and then select "Forms > Edit Fields > Set Field Calculation Order" and set the correct order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it's not the order that is the problem.  I need to use the Extend Usage option so that users with pcs can save the completed form.  Once I do that, calculations AND other links cease to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the Set Field Calculation Order worked for me. Thank you so much for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe DC just had an update. I can't find how to do the steps you recommend. Am I supposed to be in the PDF prepare form??? Where do I go to change the field calculation order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, select 'Prepare Form' tool, then click on 'More' and then on 'Set field calculation order'.

If you have problems with new Acrobat layout, look here how to switch to old layout:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-pro-layout-is-different/td-p/133636... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jellevant

I looked at your form here on my iMac with Acrobat 9 and it seems to total up correctly.

Could it be  that when you enter the last quantity field you did not hit tab or click somewhere else on the page? The result doesn't show up until you hit tab or click somewhere.

I redid some of the form to hide the zeros. Go here and see if it works.

http://nixmailmac.com/forum.pdf

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing that.  My first attempt to use the form you made was on Chrome on my mac.  It did not work, so I didn't even try it on the pc.  The individual totals do change when the quantities are entered but the final total stays at 0.  The only button that worked was the Reset.  I couldn't save to computer, couldn't click through to paypal.  These are necessary functions for the intended users who will not likely own acrobat and most probably be on pcs.

What I've found is that testing correctly in Acrobat does not mean it will work once it's online.

The latest iteration is now drronaldlevant.com/new/orderform_kfmX.pdf if you have any other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I have the same problem and i just hit " enter " and it calculates fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is related to the problem I'm having (See Recent Form Calculation Problems here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872931?tstart=0).

If the calculations seem to work at first and then break once you've saved and re-opened the form, you might be battling the same bug I am, in which case no amount of attention to how your calculations are set up is going to fix anything.

For the past week, every newly-saved form I make (even just as extended-features-enabled copies of existing forms that work perfectly well) fails to calculate once I close it and re-open it.  I assume it's the result of some software update or another, but the truth is I have no idea.  --And apparently nobody else does, since no one responded to my post.-- But if you're suffering from the same problem, then your calculation set-up may be perfectly fine.  I've replicated the problem on a number of very simple test forms, as well.  They work fine... until I hit save, close them, and re-open them.  Then they're just inert.

Good luck!

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan, a few years have gone by since you had this problem, but i have exactly the same issue.

Quatitiy x Unit price = Total adds up fine when I create the form, but when I save it as a reader extended pdf the total of the Quantity and Unit price doesnt add up. Do you know why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before you save the source PDF to Reader Extended check the calculation order of your fields.

Can you share an example of your code or a screenshot of what you see in Acrobat when you're editing your calculations?

Also, please specify what PDF viewer is used to work with the Reader Extended PDF .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue even using Adobe Reader.  While I change the order of the field calculations in Adobe Acrobate DC the form calculates fine.  Once I save and reopen the PDF the calculation skips the last entry made in the table.  Is there some global recalculation for the form that can be triggered each time a field is edited?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat, hit the "Ctrl+J" to open the console and see what errors are indicated there. Then post back with a screenshot of what you see .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm having the same problems on a pc, did all the calcs rechecked went to preview filled in the form and the Sub total, tax and grand total don't update or recalculate it's a simple invoice ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the field calculation order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Same problem is with my case.
  • I am worried about this problem
  • Please guide me anyone 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share the file in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jellevant

I took your latest form and gave it the extended features for Adobe Reader.

I still can't find any problem with the totals.

Here is the link.

http://www.nixmailmac.com/forumkfmx.pdf

The only related issue I know of is that my Safari was in 64 bit mode and it would not read a calculation form I have online.  I think someone here said to go to Get Info on the Safari icon and open in 32 bit mode and it works fine now.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that did ring a bell.  The pc I test on is a 64 bit machine.  However, I just tried your version of the form on my mac in Chrome and the calculations do not work.  Entering a quantity updates the individual total but the final total stays at 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome's built-in PDF viewer has limited support for PDF forms, and does not support JavaScript, which is what Acrobat uses behind the scenes when you use one of the built-in calculation options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that mean's it will never work on Chrome?  I Think I'll just have to give up and do an html form.  I tried downloading it from Chrome to see if I could fill it in and save but the calculations were gone.  As of something I read yesterday, Chrome now has more than a 20% share of the browser-users.

Pity.  Acrobat makes such pretty forms!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user has the choice of using Chrome's built-in PDF viewer or configuring it so the PDF opens in the browser using Acrobat/Reader, if it's also installed. I don't know if Chrome's PDF viewer will be improved to be more compliant with the PDF standard, but there's hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jellevant

If it was my form I would put a note at the top;

This form does not work with Chrome.

Please use FireFox, Safari, InternetExplorer or Adobe reader.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines