Skip navigation
Philip Powell
Currently Being Moderated

Can't get real time playback with Cineform 3D muxed files

Jul 6, 2011 11:27 AM

Hey all,

AE user for 20 years but new to PP.  Getting it setup for a sterescopic editing system.

Problem: 3D (1920 x 1080 29.97) fies created in FirstLight...won't play in RT in PP or Firstlight for that matter.

I am feeding an external passive stereo monitor via HDMI 1.4.  I have MPE enabled.  I am using a Cineform preset sequence.  I have a fairly fast raid for the media.  But it won't play in RT.  Even lowering the resolution doesn't seem to help much.   Is there something I am missing?

While it could be a hardware problem, I doubt it.  Because when I play the 3D muxed files in Windows Media Player, and drag it over to my 3D external monitor, it plays just fine...like silk in RT stereo.  (minus the metadata of Cineform of course)  But in PP or Firstlight...stutters.

BTW, is there window inside AE that lets you know the actual framerate you're getting on playback, like AE?

Please, any suggestions would be helpful...this new 3D edit system is no good to me now.  Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to Philip Powell

>new 3D edit

I think the word "new" is your answer... 3d editing at this level (not a supercomputer running $100k software) is still very new, and as far as PPro is concerned, something that it is not really designed to do (I do not work for Adobe, so that is just my opinion)

CS6 may have improvements in that area... but nobody knows anything about CS6 until it is released (or, at least, announced)

Also, some other reading

Edit 3D http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702493?tstart=0
    -but not author http://forums.adobe.com/thread/861752?tstart=0

Tell Adobe what you want for 3D

Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 2:42 PM   in reply to Philip Powell

Last I have heard there is a bug in Cineform's preset/player right now where it is not using the acceleration at all inside of Adobe. That was with files that were converted from Red to Cineform however the performance even at 1080 was horrible. Cineform seemed to process the material at the resolution it was rather than what is was set to scale. I would not be surprised if the 3D playback is doing the same thing. You need to contact Cineform on this one. If it's happening in First Light then the issue is with Cineform's player.

BTW the work around in 2D is to switch to a custom preset and use the Adobe I-Frame algorithm for preview. However I doubt that will work for the 3D material.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 1:29 PM   in reply to Philip Powell

Ive asked about the FPS indicator (like After Effects has) and was told by Adobe tech support there was no such thing. Put in a feature request! Adobe is a vey responsive organization that wants to hear from you, from my experience.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 3:57 PM   in reply to Philip Powell

It's not an Adobe issue. The issue is with Cineform's player/presets. That is why you have the issue in First Light and Adobe but not media player. BTW did you try the Custom preset with the Adobe I-Frame preview setting to see if it played?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 11:18 AM   in reply to Philip Powell

When you select the new sequence, select the custom tab. Then select the custom setting for the editing mode and then the I Frame option under Preview if it's something else.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points