Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

Jul 9, 2011 9:50 AM

hello,

i am posting here because i need an answer fast by an employee in the know

(the last similar post was moved to 'hardware' but 'hardware' doesn't seem to get as much traffic)

I want to set up 3 displays on a win 7 pc and PPRO cs5 5.03

i tried a quadro 4000 and a geforce 9800gt but PPRO didn't like it

(AE and photoshop didn't seem to mind though which was interesting)

so that last poster to my other thread said to use 2 identical gpus:

so i'm inclined to get another quadro 4000

but would like more info:

will PPRO cs5 5.03 work with 2 identical quadro 4000 gpus?

thanks in advance,

jefffrey

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

or will it work with two identical Nvidia 285 GTX PCI cards? ( Mac OS X )

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2011 10:41 AM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2011 4:13 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

I'm sorry to state this, but no version of Premiere Pro uses more than one single GPU. Period. This means that the second GPU goes completely unused except to provide support for additional monitors. The one GPU that Premiere Pro uses for MPE GPU acceleration is the one that's set to primary, usually the card that's installed in the primary PCI-e x16 slot.

In addition, 5.0.3 did not like the combination of your two different GPUs because the drivers for the two GPUs conflict with one another (specifically, the Quadro drivers won't work at all with unhacked GeForce cards while the GeForce drivers won't work with unhacked Quadros, and the two drivers caused compatibility conflicts with one another).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

So in theory two identical GeForce 285 GTX PCI cards may work .... hmmmmm....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

>adjusting to 'turn off' the cuda processing on the 2nd card (from within the nvidia control panel) 

IF, of course, the nVidia driver for the the 285 has the option of turning cuda off for the 2nd card

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 3:51 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

>really cool to have access to 4 monitors now

I used to have a 24" monitor on my (home hobbyist) computer... until my wife wanted to "test" have dual monitors connected

Once she had both running (well... once **I** had both running on her computer) she wouldn't give me back my "test" unit

Since I don't physically have room on my desk for 2 monitors... I went out and bought a 27" model (not at home, I think it's a Samsung)

She's happy, and I got to buy the biggest monitor that will fit in my corner workstation

If I wanted to, I could now actually watch a movie on my computer

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2011 8:51 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

>want to swap back your 24" monitor for the new 27"...

No bets... she does NOT do anything more complicated than pushing the power button on the front of the computer, so I would have to be the one to do a monitor switch... and I won't

As for your problem with the nVidia driver version, this seems to be a fairly common thing with BOTH nVidia and ATI... where different driver versions have different features

My 1st editing computer was a Jan 2002 Alienware (before they were bought out) Pentium 3 with an nVidia card and Premiere 6

I found via doing an update, and then having to roll back to a previous driver, that P6 would properly work only with ONE specific nVidia driver... any older or newer version and P6 would not work properly (been a long time since that computer was replaced, so I don't remember details)

Now that you have everything working the way you want... make a drive backup to USB hard drive so you can restore everything if needed

Hardware crashes or virus infections happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
    This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
    The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
    Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
    Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points