Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow

Aug 26, 2009 4:21 PM

Tags: #services #startup #clean #lean

Many people run low on System Resources, while editing. Often, this is because they have a lot of other programs and Processes loaded, running and sapping their Resources. Here is how I handle these programs and Processes, to get the most out of my computers.

The first thing that I do, before I do any editing, is clean out my system, using MSCONFIG to eliminate all unnecessary programs and Processes at boot. These are things like MS Messenger, iTunes Helper, Bonjour Services (I do need this for one progarm on my laptop, so I keep it there), and the like. These are little things that are usually installed by the OS, other programs, or the folk, who build the machine. Unless subsequent installs add this sort of stuff back, this is a one-shot deal. I do this, when I take delivery of any new computer, and check carefully, should I install, or update anything.

Next, I manually Exit from my AV, spyware sweepers and pop-up blockers. The reason that I do this manually is that most of these programs are designed to not let themselves be shut down by any software, as many Trojans will attempt to do this, so they can do their nefarious work undetected.

Last, I run a little utility, called EndItAll2, to then shut down all unnecessary programs and Processes (on a session basis, and not permanently, like MSCONFIG), prior to editing.

This gets my machine in as lean, clean and mean a status, as I can. Then, I edit.

Replies
  • Ed.Macke
    683 posts
    Mar 17, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2009 9:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Two related comments, if I might?

1. I will frequently bump up the priority of my PremiereElements .exe to "High". It seems to make rendering a little quicker, and it definitely improves playback problems (e.g. stuttering, video stopping while audio plays, lag time after hitting Play, etc.). It's something that needs to be done each time you start the program; the priority bump only stays in effect as long as the program is running.
    2. Turning off Windows Indexing has the unfortunate side effect of taking forever to find anything if you actually need to do a search. To compensate, I use a freeware product from voidtools.com called "Search Everything". It only indexes files (not text within files), but I've never had a single problem with file contention or CPU usage like Windows Indexing. Plus, it's lightning fast.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2010 10:12 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Hi Ed,

I just downloaded "Search Everything".  A very nice and astonishly fast search utility.  Thanks for sharing that link!

Rowby

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2010 11:20 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You guys must be super intellegent. Sorry but I dont understand any of that stuff and if I muck with it I am only sure of one thing,

I will stuff up my system. All I want to do is speed up my editing of video, which I am now doing with an ancient computer with premier CS3.

It was already getting slower and slower and crashing often, but is still four times faster than this beautiful, latest, fastest piece of junk I am now on.

Gosh, you know the curser on this page cant even keep up with my typing, have to keep going back and inserting missed letters.

trouble is there doesn't seem to be a computer tech in New Zealand that knows anything about video editing programs. So I spend my time trying to decifer stuff thats way over my head on these forums.

Thanks to you all for your advice and help. Maybe the penny will drop one day. I will not give up, my income depends on it.

tony

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2010 7:26 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks Hunt, you are a gent.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 7:38 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

My computer has gone back to the supplier. I think this is the third time

. This time he thinks he has found a fault with the motherboard, and or ram.

I hope that this time it will solve the problem, as I have been getting video output times of four hours for six

minutes of video. Also multiple problems with photoshop and bridge.

Indexing on my drives has been turned off from the start with no difference being detected. But I am

sure that there have been serious problems with the hardware from the start, but I have had difficulty convincing

my supplier of that, as initially he could not find any faults.

It has been a long haul going on for months on end with no satisfaction being gained. Let's hope he gets it

right this time.

Regards

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 9:02 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I also had trouble with a lot of lockups and crashes with PE9 on my medium higher-end HP system (quad-core i7 Intel CPU at 2.8 Ghrz, 12 GB RAM, fast HDDs, NVIDIA GTX-260 graphics card, upgraded 650W PSU, and Win 7 Ultimate x64 OS) and found I had to do the following to reduce the problem: stopped some unnecessary apps from running at startup via msconfig,  turned off all components of my Norton Internet Security suite, disabled some system processes running in the background, disconnected my computer from my Ethernet Lan (partly for protection because I disabled Norton Internet Security, but I also found network traffic seemed to sometimes interfere with PE9 during rendering), disabled the Win 7 screen saver which also seemed to interfere with rendering at times, and disabled all 3-D capabilities of my NVIDIA video card.  A new recent NVIDIA driver update also seemed to help some but I still get the ocassional crash so I intend to look into the suggested Black Viper Win 7 Process info (which I have also done in the past to eliminate some processes running in the background) because there are still dozens of Processes runing on my computer all the time and perhaps some or many of them can be disabled.  Thanks for the continued posts on this very frustrating subject of PE9 crashes -- I am sure many of us users are benefiting from the suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 12:54 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Bill,

Followed tips re ARTICLE and "RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY" in Premiere Elements has not re-appeared in recent productions  ???????????????

I really do not know what single change, changed the situation,but, thanks for info.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2011 4:28 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

will work on suggestions.

Thanks. will let you know how it turns out.

leo

|
    Mark as: