Skip navigation
jstevemd
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to open help files in Pagemaker 7.0.1a in Windows 7

Jul 11, 2011 9:41 AM

I see this question has been asked before, but the link to the solution no longer works.   Page maker works fine in Windows 7 64 bit, but when I click  on the help button, nothing happens.  If the link on the previous solution can be updated or expounded upon, that would be great.  Thanks for your time, Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to jstevemd

jstevemd wrote:

Page maker works fine in Windows 7 64

All evidence to the contrary.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to jstevemd

My only suggestion is move to InDesign. Pagemaker is a dead program.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to jstevemd

1. Just forget PM7 on Windows7. Either move to InDesign or use an older version of Windows.

2. The link you referred to points to the previous version of AdobeForums.  You can find most of the FAQs here - http://www.bigjohnd.org.uk/PM_FAQs/PM_FAQs.zip - as I tried to save them.

3. I'm 99% certain the answer is a) make IE your default browser, or b) put a shortcut to the helpfile home page somewhere convenient.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Did Indesign fix the skew problem?

I scan lots of old books and then need to set the resulting tif files.  They are never exactly right and have skew.  In PageMaker I could fine tune the skew to the nearest .1 degree. In InDesign, only to the nearest degree.  You will notice the difference.  Lots of pages deskew at .3, .2, -.5 degree.  Note these are all tenths.  I ran into this problem, I did not see a solution, I dropped the trial version of InDesign.

PS as I'm stuck with PM7, I made the mistake of trying to move the help files from IE to Google Chrome, not remembering that Chrome will not open local files.  I've wiped out the IE code that will run IE and now have no help files.  (File: Preferences: Online)  Moving to Firefox does not work for the same reason:  It won't open local files because of security problems.  PM7 is hardwired in such a way as to mis-present the local file, such that even if Firefox could open it, it won't.  So we need the original magic code, as without it, PM7 cannot start IE, which means that IE cannot display html formatted help pages.

Many thanks for your help.

PPS:  Contiunued fussing about, I found the PM help files, under Adobe/PM/RIS??/USEnglish/Help (I think) and then went to the main help.htm and double clicked.  Came right up in >>Google Chrome<< which supposedly does not run local files.  I then bookmarked it.  So I can't get to the help from inside PM7, but I can hit the bookmarked file in Chrome.  Chrome displays it better than IE.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 3:36 AM   in reply to jstevemd

I don't have Windows 7 but the answer lower down solved the problem in XP instantly. Make Internet Explorer your default browser!

Thank you to BigJohnD.

It also enabled me to change a keyline setting, which has been stuck for more than a year as I had Google Chrome as default. Meg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points