Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dodgy Font in Google Chrome BrowserLab

Jul 12, 2011 10:00 AM

Hi All

I have an issue with the font being significantly different to all the other browsers in Google Chrome BrowserLab. I am novice so please forgive my ignorance, but I've been doing some research and I've downloaded font files like 'ChunkFive', but the when using this the font is really bold and thick. So I've been trying to use it in combination with my original font of 'Verdena, Arial, Helvitica, Sans-Serif' but I've had no luck.

If anyone can help me urgently I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Vincent

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2011 10:13 AM   in reply to Vincentma

Hi Vincent,

I'm not clear on what your problem is. Are you saying you're running BrowserLab in Chrome, or are you getting screenshots of Chrome for a certain URL and seeing problems with those screenshots? Is the URL public, and if so, can you let us know what it is?

Thanks,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 10:35 AM   in reply to Vincentma

Hi Vincent,

Can you send me the files for your page so we can try to repro this issue here please? ( mrausch@adobe.com ) Or, if not, can you create a simple test case that repros the issue for you and send those files to me.

Thanks,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:50 PM   in reply to Vincentma

Thanks Vincent,

I got the files and I think we're seeing the same issue, in BL the font looks fuzzy in Chrome, but it looks sharp in the actual Chrome browser on my machine. I've attached shots from Chrome 10 and Firefox 4. Does the Chrome 10 shot show the problem you're describing?

Mark

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 2:32 PM   in reply to Vincentma

*cough* Well... you can ignore that specific issue that we're showing for Chrome, yes, but I wouldn't just ignore BrowserLab

The odd thing we're trying to figure out right now is that it looks fine in Chrome on the desktop, but our QE person took a screenshot of that to send to show me, and the screenshot ended up with the same font fuzziness, so the screenshot she got actually looked different from what was in the browser. We're going to investigate further, but at this point it looks like it may be a problem in Chrome itself.

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 3:05 AM   in reply to Vincentma

That issue to me looks to simply be aggressive JPEG compression. It would be nice if the JPEG quality were increased or if BrowserLab sent over PNGs instead, maybe?

P.S.

Re-saving the good image at JPEG 90% yields something that looks eerily similar to the original bad image.

Message was edited by: xtknight904

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 2:21 AM   in reply to Mark Rausch

Hello Mark,

I observed the same problem: the rendering is good with IE9, and really ugly with Chrome 18.

This happens not only with downloaded fonts using @font-face, but also with standard fonts such as Georgia or Times New Roman.

May I send the URL to you in private email? I cannot publish the URL now.

thank you

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points