Skip navigation
xtac12345
Currently Being Moderated

Spool file size significantly larger in Reader X compared to Reader 7

Jul 14, 2011 1:52 AM

I upgraded my computer to windows 7 recently and have since upgraded to Adobe Reader X as well. Previously i was using Adobe Reader 7. I have noticed that when i print a particular file through Reader X, it takes almost 10 over minutes to print the file. I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader 7 and that took only 3 minutes.

I am printing to a PS printer. I have noticed that the same file spools to a different file size for both readers. Reader X spools to 22MB while Reader 7 only spools to 3MB. If i select Print as Image in the advanced tab, it prints in 3 minutes for Reader X but at the expense of quality which is not acceptable. Does anyone knows why is this so? Is there somewhere i can read up to know what the difference is between the versions of Reader?

Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to xtac12345

I am having a similar problem. XP SP3 with Adobe Reader X printing to a PCL6 printer - networked Kyocera MultiFunction device - I installed Sumatra PDF reader on the PC as a test and printed the same PDF in seconds versus the 15 to 20 minutes of Adobe Reader X. Spool size with the Adobe print job climbs to over 50 MB! for a file that is under 3MB on disk.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to xtac12345

I am having a similar problem also. I have Windows XP machine and we print a lot of PDF file through a print server and it takes a long tim to print depending on the size a 60 page document can take up to 20 min. I have loaded 10.1 reader to see if this would help and it hasn't. I been trying to figure out how to make the printing go faster but i am not having much luck. i have tried printing as image it didn't print faster. I trie Post script drivers it didn't print faster. It has to do so much rendering and then makes a hugh file to the print server. Example the file is 2 meg and it loads to 40 meg on the print server. I which someone could provide some guidance.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points