Skip navigation
big_dave_mac
Currently Being Moderated

Eye Dropper errors in Premiere Pro CS5.03 on iMac (late 2010)

Jul 15, 2011 5:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem here in that when I use the eye-dropper tool it does not reflect the colour of the pixels under the dropper. I'm running CS5.03.

For example, when attempting to apply the Ultra Key effect, when hovering over a green screen the colour reported bears no relation to the colour over the screen over which the dropper is placed. This is also the case when using other tools, such as the Fast Colour Corrector. This has been a problem throughout my use of the product, over 8 months. After some head scratching, it appears as though the colour reported is in fact a good few hundred or more pixels directly down the screen from where the dropper is actually positioned.

This problem only manifests itself on my iMac - I also use the same release of Premiere Pro on my MacBook (same OS version etc) but I do not experience this problem there.

My iMac is the 'late 2010' edition, 27" with its native ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card running MacOS 10.6.8.

To reproduce bug:

1. Drag and drop the Ultra Key Effect onto a clip in the timeline.

2. Choose the Key Color tool and select the dropper.

3. Hover the dropper tool over the colour to be keyed.

Result:

The colour reported in the Key Color effect is not that which is underneath the dropper.

Expected result:

The colour reported in the Key Color effect should be that colour over which the dropper is hovering.

Of course, I've submitted this as a bug report to Adobe, but they make no promises about getting back to me.

Has anybody here encountered this? Surely I'm not the only only CS5 user running on an iMac 27" here...

Cheers,

David Mc

London, UK

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2011 5:43 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

Is this happening with other effects, too, or just the Ultra Key effect?

Looking in the bug database, I see that a few eyedropper-related bugs were fixed in Premiere Pro CS5.5. If you want to download the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5, you can see if you're getting the same behavior there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to big_dave_mac

> What is the official way to get some support from Adobe as this does look like a proper bug?

You get official technical support from Adobe by contacting Adobe Technical Support:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

My suggestion regarding Premiere Pro CS5.5 was only to install the trial version (which is free) so that you could see if the bug that yo've encountered is fixed in that version.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

We've identified and isolated a bug that causes the eyedroppers to  misbehave on Mac OSX when you're using multiple monitors.  If you're not using multiple monitors, then we really want to know about  that, because that would be a different bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I'm not using multiple monitors on my Mac Pro, and I am having this problem.

This is my current system config:

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

14GB RAM

Lots of storage

Mac OSX 10.7.1

Premiere CS5 v5.0.4

I am working with the Ultra Key effect for the first time and have found that the eye dropper will not pick up the chroma key color. It remains black.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to panelson

There are two separate issues:

- On Mac OSX v10.7 (Lion), the eyedroppers in Premiere Pro CS5 don't work. They do work in Premiere Pro CS5.5. We are hoping that an update to Mac OSX v10.7 addresses this issue for Premiere Pro CS5.

- On many versions of Mac OSX (not just Lion), eyedroppers don't work in either Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 if you are using multiple monitors with different vertical resolutions. We are working on a fix for this and hope to make it available soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 11:38 AM   in reply to big_dave_mac

Huh, I'm running CS5 on a MacBook Pro and noticed the eyedropper in the Titler tool didn't seem to be working last night; I'll have to try disconnecting my 2nd monitor...which, oddly enough, has a different vertical resolution than my Mac's

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 9:34 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

This problem got fixed for me with 5.0.3 update, but it was a real pain in the *** to install the update.

same here: Lion 27" iMac i7 quad core 2.93ghz

Finally works like a charm, i love ultra key, wish it would be able to match the color of footage under it like fcp X does with match color, I think I am stuck between both platforms until CS6 comes out in February:))

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 12:33 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

I am having the same problem using Premiere Pro CS5 v5.0.4. The eye dropper will not pick up colors that are hovered over. Instead, they are offset as the original post suggests - I'm experiencing a vertical downward offset of about +/-150 pixels and a horizontal offset to the right of about +/-5 pixels.

Upgrading to CS5.5 is not an option. This appears to be a bug that others are experiencing as well and ADOBE is also aware of. The lack of being unable to utilize an essential tool is very frustrating and eliminates a critical process in a project work flow. Please advise.

My current system configuration:

Mac Pro

Mac OSX 10.5.8

2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

8GB RAM

Ample storage - 8TB - 30% used

I'm am using two monitors with my Mac Pro:

Primary work space monitor - 27” Mac LED Cinema

Secondary over flow work space monitor - 20” Dell 2007FP - vertically oriented

Thank You

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 7:08 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

We'll announce any fixes as they become available.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 10:38 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Just to be clear:

I'm on 10.6.8 with 5.5.1 and 3 monitors of different vertical resolutions. Eyedroppers are working fine for me now. If I upgrade to Lion, will eyedroppers work or not? It's not clear from this thread, nor from Adobe's bug report. Thanks much.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to Keith Moreau

Eyedroppers don't work on Lion with the 5.5.1 update.

We are working on a fix for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 4:13 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

The Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) update fixes the problem with eyedroppers on Mac OSX v10.7 (Lion), as well as some other issues. See this page for details:

http://adobe.ly/premiere_pro_552

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 4:39 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

big_dave_mac,

The problem with eyedroppers not working in Premiere Pro CS5 on Mac OSX seems to be limited to cases in which you are using multiple monitors with different vertical resolutions. You seemed to indicate in a previous post that this was the case for you. That bug is not currently slated for a fix in an update to Premiere Pro CS5.

We do occasionally release bug fixes for previous versions, such as the 5.0.4 update that was released only a few months ago, after Premiere Pro CS5.5 was released. But these updates are usually reserved for really big bugs without workarounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 4:58 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

You misunderstand, likely because I wasn't clear.

- We just fixed a problem that made eyedroppers not work at all in Premiere Pro CS5.5 on Lion.

- There remains a problem that prevents eyedroppers from working correctly in Premiere Pro CS5 _only_ if multiple monitors of different vertical resolutions are used. This is no more or less broken on Lion compared with Snow Leopard. This problem does not exist at all for Premiere Pro CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 10:42 AM   in reply to big_dave_mac

You still do not understand.

I have iMac 27" single monitor Lion 10.7 osX

And the update 5.0.1 fixed the eyedrop color selector for ultra key and color key and all the others.

But i did not update from the help menu but went by the link in one of this eyedrop treats.

So the issue that you claim to not be fixed in 5.0.1 was fixed already in I did not update yet to 5.0.2 and my eyedrop tool works just fine.

Edo H. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to EdoDimitrijevic

Edo, I was addressing big_dave_mac in his question about updating to Lion. I was not saying that you didn't understand something.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

It's been about 5 months since the last post, any updates on a bug fix for this?

I'm runing CS5 on 10.7.3 w/ 2 monitors and my eye dropper is not working. Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to clctv20

I'm having the same problem with MacPro  running CS5.0.4 with Mac OSX 10.7.3

eyedropper does not work

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to big_dave_mac

I am using a Mac Book Pro with Mac OS X 10.7.4 and Premiere Pro CS 5.0.4 an I do have the same eye droper issues WITHOUT having a second monitor attached. Eyedroper does not work...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points