Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

slideshow is sized wrong after import as asset. need help

Jul 16, 2011 11:05 AM

Hi all, I have a strange thing happening with a project. I have PPO 5.0.  My project settings are HDV and my computer is:

Platform: iMac 2.66 GHz intel core i5, 8gb memory. OS: 10.6.6

I have about 2 hrs of footage that's fine. I wanted to add a Quicktime slideshow (.mov) as the last chapter. I imported the slideshow as an asset, then dragged it to the timeline.  in the viewer it is now letterbox size when it should be widescreen!

Previewing it with Quicktime shows it displayed as widescreen just fine.

The properties of the .mov file are:

dimensions:  720 x 486

codecs:         H.264 high efficiency AAC

color profile:  SD 6-1-6

duration:  11:35

audio channels: 2

total bit rate: 1,934

On my timeline, the viewer settings are "fit" normally.  when it comes to the section where the .mov file is, it is still "fit" but the screen is now very small.
ON THE TIMELINE if I click on the clip, Properties are:

File Path: /Users/n.../Documents/Adobe_mywork/Disc2/myslide.mov

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 161.1 MB

Image Size: 720 x 486

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00;11;35;14

Average Data Rate: 237 KB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

Why does it display as letterbox ?
I need this thing to be widescreen just like the other footage. please help !
thanks so much!
NEF

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Jul 16, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to nefl777
    The properties of the .mov file are:

Image Size: 720 x 486

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

Sorry, this is SD 4x3, not widescreen.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Jul 16, 2011 11:45 AM   in reply to nefl777

need others expertise !  thanks !

Okie-dokie.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to nefl777

I believe that you might be missing a point, or two.

Obviously, you have a PAL Project for that SlideShow - well maybe? The pixel x pixel dimensions will be 720 x 576 for SD (Standard Def). What sets the displays apart is the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), as your file likely uses non-square pixels. The PAR will determine whether you have a Widescreen 16:9 file, or a Standard 4:3 file. For Widescreen, the PAR should be 1.422 and for Standard, it will be 1.066. Now, you have the NTSC PAR for a Standard 4:3 file, with the PAR of 0.91. Something is not quite right there, as it appears that you have PAL pixel x pixel (Aspect Ratio), but then NTSC PAR. Exactely how did you create that SlideShow?.

For Video, you will always have landscape in the AV file (the few exceptions are too rare to consider), but whether you have Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9 landscape will depend on the PAR of the file.

Then, if you bring in an SD Asset to a HD Project/Sequence, one has several choices on how to either fill the Frame, or leave Letterboxing (black bars top and bottom), or Pillarboxing (black bars on the side), or black bars all around.

A bit more detail on that Slideshow might explain why some things to not add up.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 5:00 PM   in reply to nefl777

I did give her dimensions.

Just a guess here, but I'd say that some things got "lost in translation." It appears that there are some oddly mixed specs.

The stumbling block is - why does Quicktime display it just fine and displays it 16:9 ?

Video player programs are not the best test, as some adapt for the display. That is why knowing the specs. and attributes is so very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 5:05 PM   in reply to nefl777

Do you think this is a bug in PPO ?

At this point, no. I think that PrPro is doing, basically what it is being told to do.

DVDs are released as 720x480 and scaled from there. Now that I really think about it,

In NTSC-land, they are released in 720 x 480, and either as Standard 4:3 (PAR = 0.91), or Widescreen 16:9 (PAR = 1.21). It is different in PAL-land.

Now, how a DVD/BD player, plus an HD TV displays the SD (Standard Def) DVD, is a matter or settings, and possibly in each piece of equipment.

Isn't   640x480  a normal 4:3 resolution ?

For square pixels only, yes. For non-square pixels, it's 720 x 480, and with a non-square pixel PAR to accommodate 4:3, or 16:9.

There has got to be somebody out there who has imported a .mov file to a HDV project, yes ?

It is not "a MOV," but YOUR MOV. That is the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 5:07 PM   in reply to nefl777

is there any possible way I can force PPO to display it 16:9 ?  I have a feeling you would have already told me that by now if that were available.

One can Rt-Click on the Clip (your MOV file) in the Project Panel, and choose Interpret Footage, forcing PrPro to see it, as you think that it should be. This is useful, if PrPro misses some flag in a file. In this case, I do not think that any flag was missed, but that the settings/attributes do not match what you think they should.

Good luck, and see if Interpret Footage helps things.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 7:42 AM   in reply to nefl777

>have PPO 5.0

Is there any particular reason you have not updated?

I think the Mac version is now up to 5.0.4 but go check

All Adobe updates start here and select product, install in number order, updates are not cumulative http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 7:57 AM   in reply to nefl777

I've been trying to finish projects before upgrading anything.

I certainly understand that thought, and with upgrades is a suggestion that many of us make often.

With updates (not upgrades), there are often some very useful "fixes" thrown in, and some of those can be very, very useful. However, and in deference to your stated sentiments, there can be new, well "problems" introduced by accident, in the release of the updates. I cannot recall the exact order of updates, and also what each contained that could affect a Mac, but doing some sort of "System Restore Point" (a PC term, but Mac's must have similar), prior to applying an update is usually a good and safe bet, just in case the update introduces some problem. Rolling back is sometimes required.

Adobe usually does "cumulative" updates, and almost always for Premiere, so one has but to install that latest (unless problems with that, or a preceeding update is reported).

As there are many Mac-users here now, maybe they will comment on how well the PrPro updates perform on the Mac. Also, Todd is very fluent in both PC's and Mac's, and can probably tell you exactly what the updates will do for you, and offer any caveats on updating.

Good luck, and I hope that all Projects go smoothly,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>Adobe usually does "cumulative" updates

Hmm... I may need to change my saved note... I know that in the past updates HAD to be installed one after the other, but that may be different now

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

Here I go trying to rely on my memory, and we both know what that usually gets me, but most recent PrPro updates, as I recall, have been cumulative. I will try to find Todd's comments on those for PrPro CS 5, as I think that he confirmed the cumulative aspect for all of those. If I am wrong, it will be ME, who needs to change things.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, updates are cumulative. If, for example, you have 5.0.0, then you can just install the 5.0.4 update and get all of the fixes in 5.0.1, 5.0.2, and 5.0.3 in the same package.

The best way to update is to just choose Help > Updates and let the system take care of it for you.

I understand the tendency to not update mid-project, but in the case of the updates to Premiere Pro CS5 (on Mac OS especially), the updates fix such major bugs that not updating immediately is unwise. Just look at the first bullet point in the release notes for the 5.0.2 update: "Various crashing issues fixed."  There's a lot packed into that phrase.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd,

Thank you for that clarification. That was what I remembered from other threads.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 7:32 AM   in reply to nefl777

Your footage and your sequence don't match. Either scale the footage up to fill the sequence or use a smaller sequence that matches the footage.

FAQ: How do I choose the right sequence settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 11:37 AM   in reply to nefl777

however, while playing it is pixellated.

If you scaled an image up from SD to HD as you did, you will see some pixelation, especially if you did it with a poor scaling algorithm. Scaling in Premiere Pro is better than scaling in iMovie.

It also has something I've never seen before. Above the timeline, there is a YELLOW line.  I've seen red lines (meaning some rendering is required) but I've never seen a yellow line.  what is that telling me ?

See this:

FAQ: Why do I have a red or yellow bar over my sequence, and how do I render previews?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points