Skip navigation

Acrobat X Pro: Really slow opening files

Jun 20, 2011 2:41 AM

Latest reply: RobMcP, Jan 6, 2012 2:07 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2011 10:15 AM   in reply to UTE-Tech01

what is this show common tasks.... Is it part of adobe or windows and does it apply also to winxp and if so how do you get there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to ebriefsdotcom

How and where did you find anything about disabling enhanced security and how did you find it? in what menu? Is it part of winxp or adobe? Please explain where on earth you found this option - have searched everywhere and cannot find it .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 10:23 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Most certainly NOT . It is most rude for adobe to come up with this and suggest people upgrade or use it when it made it MUCH WORSE and way to slow if it works at all. I wish there was a way to uninstall it and go back to a previous version but guess not. If anyone has discovered a way to uninstall the latest upgrade and go back to previous version PLEASE  POST.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 2:55 PM   in reply to lenahanson

I had the same problem -- extremely frustrating -- but I found a solution that works for me.

Open up a pdf file, go to Edit, then click on Preferences in the pull-down. On the left, near the bottom, click on Security, then unclick the box near the top that says "verify signatures when the document is opened".   Now all my pdf files open quickly, as they used to!  I have no idea what this verify signatures thing is for but I'm ok without it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 7:05 PM   in reply to tiktaalik136868

Thanks but Actually I had already done that and also unchecked the enable enhanced security. Perhaps it did improve it somewhat but still is slower and more problem to use than prior version(s).Besides being too slow it seems usually to even open a 2nd or higher file when I push enter it does nothing and have to keep on pushing enter till it finally does it or messes up things so much I need to reboot or something - same thing with rt. clicking and going to open with adobe it ignores my command more often than not esp. when have other applications open whereas prior versions did not have this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 11:23 PM   in reply to zmth

This is what screws me up. I have to disable this feature of WinXP to keep working when I have multiple PDF files opened.

However sometimes even if the standard "show common tasks in folders" is enabled, it works for a while before it stops working again.

It worked (satisfactorily) before the update.

So, either the update was not applied effectively or Adobe broke it with the new update trying to fix other things.

(anyone have problems with deleting single pages?)

To display links to common tasks in folders

1. Open Folder Ooptions in Control Panel.

- Click START and then click CONTROL PANEL

- Click APPEARANCE AND THEMES and then click FOLDER OPTIONS

2. On the GENERAL tab, under TASKS, click USE WINDOWS CLASSIC FOLDERS

(From Microsoft resources)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 1:51 PM   in reply to acmd9

I think different people are experiencing different problems here on this thread but I can at least say from my point of view the issue remains with Pro 10.1.0 on XP SP3 opening the 1st PDF is fine but opening subsequent PDFs is almost always, but not always, preceded with an unusually long delay before they open.  I did some brief testing with Pro 10.1.0 on Win7 x64 SP1 and did not reproduce the issue, but at least one other person on this thread says they have had it happen on Win7.

I have tried these things and none of them helped:

- Turned protected mode on. (It was off by default). Turned it back off. No difference either way

- Turned enhanced security off. No difference

(both of these are under edit > preferences > security (enhanced) )

- Uninstalled Adobe Reader. I had Reader 9.4.5 installed as well as Pro 10.1. After uninstalling that, no difference in this behavior.

- Temporarily disabled Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6300.803. No difference in this behavior. Note there is a known bug with Adobe Reader 10 and Symantec Endpoint Protection versions lower than 11.0.6200 - Reader 10 will not run in Protected Mode.

What does help is to roll back to Acrobat Pro 10.0.0 When I do that (which so far I can only get to happen by uninstalling and reinstalling) I have yet to get the slowness to occur with 10.0.0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2011 2:36 PM   in reply to acmd9

It seems like everything I do in Acrobat X is really slow compared to 9. I've only had it for about a month, but I'm getting really sick of it. Creating forms is brutal when I have to stare at a loading bar for 5 seconds everytime I drop a new field in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 2:39 AM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Please pleese pleeeze can someone tell me how to remove Acrobat reader X and replace it with

one that works Acrobat 9.

I'm tired of trying all of the helpful suggestions above, none of which have worked, but thanks anyway.

McP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 2:43 AM   in reply to RobMcP

Acrobat, or Reader?

If Acrobat, then you should have the installation file or media. If not, you

will need to contact Adobe.

If Reader, you can download it from here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 4:12 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Acrobat reader, thanks. Made the mistake of saying Yes when Adobe said there is a new version of Acrobat reader

. Hmmm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 4:22 AM   in reply to RobMcP

There's no such thing as "Acrobat Reader". There is "Adobe Reader" and "Adobe Acrobat (Pro/Standard)".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 5:01 AM   in reply to RobMcP

Most people make that mistake.

It all goes back to the saying "if it aint broke...don't fix it!"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

OK I'm sorry, in the olden days it was called Acrobat Reader, now it's a pile of sh!te whatever it's

called.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2011 8:59 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but....   having just checked my 'reliability monitor' (via control panel) - there is an warning mark right next to Acrobat X Pro with the message 'Unsuccessfil application reconfiguration'. I haven't asked Acrobat to do anything today so what ever the error is, it's done it off it's own back. (As you'll see from previous notes, i too am having issue's since the update. Using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 10:26 AM   in reply to lenahanson

Same here - Slow opening pdf-files (approx 10-25 seconds)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 11:48 AM   in reply to Waterscope1

After all the discussion, I can't resist adding a little dig in the sense that your file are slow to open like the display in this forum. (OK, this goes way back to when the forum was changed over and the analogy is something I just could not resist!) Sorry for wasting space in this topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 5:45 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

Same problem as both in XP SP3 and WIn7 SP1. I reinstall acrobat x to 10.0.0 and problem disappered. After updating, it begins to open second file very slow.

Need fix ASAP!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 11:27 PM   in reply to lenahanson

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/901255

Wish this work.

I installed the pitstop plugin. After diabling that plugin, the world became Nice Again.

Good luck to all~

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2011 5:17 AM   in reply to lenahanson

My Acrobat recently got updated to version 10.1.1 and now it opens pdf files without any delay. I would suggest all of you facing this problem to update your Acrobat to latest version (10.1.1) as soon as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2011 2:01 PM   in reply to lenahanson

The update seems to have really sped things up. Good job, Adobe. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:23 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Regarding the ridiculously slow opening of PDF's in IE8 web browser (I know not OP's problem), it is still ridiculously slow with Acrobat 10.1.1 and Reader 10.1.1 installed.

If I uninstall Acrobat X and leave Reader (10.1.1) installed they open damn near instantaneously in IE.

Install Acrobat 10.1.0, PDF's can take up to 60 seconds before viewable.

Update to Acrobat 10.1.1, PDF's can take up to 60 seconds before viewable

Turn off all the addins in browser, no change.

Any definite fixes for this anyone .. please? Preferably one I can recommend to external clients as well as they are having the same issue viewing the PDF's off our website.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:41 PM   in reply to lenahanson

That's in the browser lenahanson?

I just downgraded Acrobat to 10.0.0 and it's instantaneous again (Reader 10.1.1). Can't really tell customers to do that though .. damn.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 1:28 AM   in reply to lenahanson

The problem for me also went away when I updated to v10.1.1. (for WinXP)

The problem is mostly about having thumbnail views applied to your folders and the setting (in XP) "show common operations in the same folder".

If I turned that feature off, the problem went away (with the previous version).

I can still sense some delay in opening of PDFs, with the new version, but nothing like before.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to OzVic

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but I'd suggest using a different browser. That's just my opinion as I hate IE... Chrome is excellent, IMO: http://www.google.com/chrome

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 3:05 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Yeah, I use Chrome myself and the builtin PDF viewer is instantaneous. Can't really tell our clients who work at hospitals etc to change their browser though (IT won't let them), or to turn off "Display in browser" in their Acrobat settings, or to right-click and save as.. to speed things up.

Would be better if Adobe could just tell us where the problem lies or even better .. fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 7:27 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I have not seen anyone post full test results, so here is my testing:

Windows 7 x64
    Internet Explorer 8

Adobe Acrobat X Pro

10.0.0 - Works
    10.0.1 - Works
    10.0.2 - Works
    10.0.3 - Works
    10.1.0 - Slow to load PDF Forms inside browser
    10.1.1 - Slow to load PDF Forms inside browser

I have not found any Adobe Acrobat Preferences that will fix this either.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 4:45 PM   in reply to nzorn

Exact same setup in out org nzorn and exact same results.

Is Adobe going to fix this? I can't log a support case as don't have support details.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 7:30 AM   in reply to lenahanson

I'm using 6 cores and 12G ram, but this makes no difference: the first opening the document in Acrobat Pro is terribly slow. The bug is definitely in the cashing system. Acrobat has to read the whole file before you can access it. If you close a file and open it again Acrobat makes it instantly, because the file is in the cach already. Let's wait while the new caching process will be moved to background.

But   l u c k i l y,   free Adobe Reader doesn't consist the feature (yet  :)). So you can install both applications in your system and read the documents quickly. Alternatively, one can move back to Acrobat 9.4.6, which was released the same day as the 10.1.1 (9/13/2011)

Upd:

But the most important. It seems, that installing Adobe Reader changes the overall Adobe system behaviour. And now my Acrobat Pro 10.1.1 works OK and opens large files without any delay.

Check, whether this solution suits you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 11:38 PM   in reply to nzorn

Hey nzorn, maybe you can verify this for me:

When I RDP into computer it works instantly (ie. normally). If I'm sitting in front of it or VNC/DameWared it is ridiculously slow (can be over a minute). This made me think it is something to do with the video driver (god knows why, Adobe you're a champ. /sarc).

Updated driver to latest version (ATI Radeon HD2400XT), no luck. Used the onboard video (Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset), no luck.

DISABLED the driver (so computer reverts to stock VGA), PDF's load instantly! Enable the driver, back to square one.

ATI and Intel can't be blamed because 1. It works pre 10.1 and 2. They are totally different companies.

Please somebody from Adobe read this and fix this! We run breast cancer trials as a subsidiary for a University (VLK license) but don't have support logon details where we're situated. Surely it's more than just us and nzorn with this issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 6:14 AM   in reply to OzVic

I can do some more testing when I have some free time.  I am going live with Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.0.3 since it's working fine. 

In the meantime I have filled out a bug report, but maybe others can do the same thing:  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:08 PM   in reply to lenahanson

I solved the issue for myself by disabling the "preflight" plugins by moving the 3 files from the acrobat plugins folder (Preflight.api, Preflight.deu, Preflight.fra).  More details about this can be found here:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3791427#3791427.

Not saying this is a solution, as I believe this to be a bug, but at least files are opening at the same speed as they were before this update. 

*Also, after testing (once files were moved), I put them back in the folder, and even restarted, and it's still fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 5:17 PM   in reply to lenahanson

Apparently this isn't a priority for Adobe.  But I noticed that recently it is taking FOREVER for me to open PDF documents that are on a network share.  I am using Reader 10.1.1 and it is unusable.  I went into Edit -> Preferences and disabled everything under Security and unchecked "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and it will open the first document fairly quickly now, but if I want to open 5 or 6 documents from the share, forget it.  This is not an upgrade and Adobe, who IMHO does a really good job with software, really screwed the pooch on this one.  I would like to downgrade to 10.0 but I can't seem to find it so I will end up downgrading all the way to Reader 9.4.  I'm on Win7 x64 Ultimate, 4GB ram, Intel quad core at 3.0 GHz. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to lenahanson

The original issue posted by lenahanson was fixed in Acrobat/Reader 10.1.1 and many people who responded to this thread also found the 10.1.1 update to fix their issues.  However, from reading the latest responses there is still a few file opening performance issues/bugs. 

So that Adobe can isolate the current/remaining  issues people using Acrobat X 10.1.1 or Reader 10.1.1 are still having, can we have some fresh responses with additional details?

Are you still experiencing performance issues?  Is your version of Adobe Acrobat X or Reader X  (at least 10.1.1?  If the answer to both questions is yes it would be helpful if you respond including as much the following information as you can:

• Operating system (Windows 7 64 bit SP 1, XP SP 3 etc)
    • Additional computer details - Processor speed and how much memory (RAM)
    • Are you opening PDFs in web browser, from the local file system, or from a - network shared drive
    • If you are opening PDFs in a web browser, which browser and version (Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 6, Chrome etc) and what version. 
    • Browser Plugins:  Listing other browser plugins could be helpful.
    • Do you have any plugins installed in Acrobat such as "PitStop"?
    • Is the issue with the first PDF you open, or second/third/fourth etc?
    • How are you opening the files (double click from Windows Explorer, link in a web page, from the Recent Files in Acrobat etc)
    • Is Acrobat/Reader already opened/running before opening the files or is opening the file launching the application?
    • Is Reader or Acrobat the default application to view PDFs? Please list the version # by choosing "About Adobe Acrobat/Reader" from the Help menu.
    • Do you have Reader only, Acrobat only, or both Reader and Acrobat installed on your system?
    • If you have both Reader and Acrobat installed, which versions of both Acrobat and Reader are installed?  (Acrobat Pro 9 and Reader X, or Acrobat Pro X and Reader X etc including the specific versions of all Acrobat/Reader on the system like 10.1.1).
    • Settings in "Security Enhanced" from Acrobat/Reader Preferences - Is "Enable Enhanced Security" checked? 
    • Settings in "Security Enhanced" from Acrobat/Reader Preferences - Protected View settings?
    • If you are comfortable doing it: Does disabling the video driver on your system so the default VGA graphics are used fix the issue (one of the posters stated that this fixed their performance issues)?
    • Is there anything you know running automatically when PDFs are opened such as the Share pane in Acrobat?
    • Anything else you find relevant (anti-virus running, enhanced network security environment etc)

Adobe definitely wants to address these issues and the more current relevant information we can provide the easier it will be to determine what problems remain.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 9:32 AM   in reply to Josh_Corey

it takes over 10 seconds to display a small 80kb dynamic PDF in 32 bit IE 8 on Win7 using adobe acrobat pro 10.1.1

several static PDFs in the same app render with sub-second speed in all browsers

the dynamic PDF renders with sub-second speed in all browsers except 32 bit IE using acrobat pro 10.1.1

the 64 bit IE 8 browser renders quickly

the desktop I am usig to reproduce the issue is Win 7 pro 64 bit with 6gb ram and dual Xeon 2.66

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 11:02 AM   in reply to Josh_Corey

Here's our environment:

• Windows 7, x86 SP1
    • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM
    • We render PDFs from our networked file servers. At times, from IE8, but main issues are from our file servers
    • Issue is most noticeable with first/initial launch of PDFs. Subsequent launches are quicker.
    • We typically double-click from Windows Explorer, open UNC links, or open attachments from Outlook 2003.
    • We have Adobe Acrobat X Pro, 10.1.1. With 10.0.0, we had no issues with networked PDF files
    • Users typically multi-select a number of PDFs, then open from Windows Explorer - but that operation is very slow now.
    • We have a mixed Adobe Reader X/Acrobat X installation
    • By Default, Enable Enhanced Security and Protected View is enabled (Acrobat)
    • Our workstations and servers are on the same Trusted Zones.

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 1:39 PM   in reply to jmvillago

I ran the same app locally and without SSL and was unable to reproduce the issue. Wonder if the issue has something to do with SSL + IE 8 32 bit + Adobe 10.1.1

also here are the HTML headers:

The headers of the dynamig report that is loading slowly over HTTPS look like this when loaded over HTTP

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Content-Type: application/pdf

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:18:56 GMT

%PDF-1.4

The headers of the static PDFs that we are not having issues with look as follows when loaded over HTTP

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Expires: -1

Cache-Control: private, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate

Content-Type: application/pdf

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:25:19 GMT

%PDF-1.7

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This