• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends. I have recently switched to CS5 and I find that I usually need to close the program and then reopen it before I can make a PDF. It says it is working in the background but all it does is spin without creating the PDF. Anyone else having this problem? 

TED

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 323 Replies 323
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of similar reports surfacing here. I've had some trouble using older custom presets, but using a new default preset and modifying to the same settings seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues. ID seems to go in an endless loop of Background tasking.

@Peter: What are the presets you are talking about? I have the same problem with newly created ID files and legacy CS3 files opened in CS5.

I would love to see a workaround and eventually the "old" PDF distiller graphics back so that I know what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years I've accumulated a number of custom settings files, either supplied by various printers or created by me in earlier versions of ID, that I use for different output situations. I reported a bug on this earlier, but the engineeers apparently were not able to reproduce it using the files I submitted.

In essence, if I used File > Adobe PDF Presets > (and pick one of my custom presets) to reduce the setup time, the export would fail. If, on the other hand, I simply used File > Export... and set up the same settings, even by selecting them from the dropdown in most cases, the export would proceed normally.

The only other failure I've seen that is similar is when I was trying to export several versions of the same file in rapid sucession, changing layer visibility between versions. I've decided that continuing to edit a file that is being exported in the background may not be worth the risk, though there seems to be no problem editing other files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my Acrobat recently updated and I lost lots of my presets and can't find them on my mac now - any idea why? Or any idea where I could download some from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the right thread to post questions about Acrobat - this thread is devoted specifically to PDF exporting issues in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and further up the page people are talking about what I am asking about, so it all fits in. Mind your own business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I minded my own business when the thread-drifting started earlier. I'm suggesting that if you have problems with Acrobat, consider posting in an existing thread about Acrobat or creating a new one devoted to your specific issue. You will probably find your answer much more quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dubai_Dave wrote:

and further up the page people are talking about what I am asking about, so it all fits in. Mind your own business.

Dave,

First off, I don't tolerate that sort of behavior in this forum. Either keep it polite, or keep it to yourself.

As far as whether you are on or off topic here, I think you'll find that any posts referring to preferences were suggesting repalcing them, a standard troubleshooting technique for ID, and these suggestions were made BEFORE Matthew had tracked down the problem.

This really is quite different from the loss of resets due to a program update. Updates remove thoses things stored in the InDesign SavedData file (which does not include presets) but I don't have any idea what you should expect to lose in Acrobat. I don't have any presets there to lose, but my cutomizarions of toolbars all seem to survive. I would say that this is really outside the expertise of most users here, and you really should move the question over to the Acrobat forum where you are much morte likely to learn waht is expected behavior and what you might want to be doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ulib2010 - Did you ever get the "endless loop of Background tasking" bug figured out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Acrobat 9.0 adopted all settings from Acrobat 8.0, I had to trash all my custom settings and reset Acrobat to default. Then setting up a complete new set of options. That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this was a completely different issue. Turns out to have been a locking issue/change when I opened a legacy CS3 file in CS5.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that if I make an interactive PDF, InDesign has no problem exporting the file. However, if I try to make a print PDF using any of my settings (including the defaults), InDesign usually creates one PDF successfully, but after the first export, all of my additional exports show up in the background tasks pane and never start up until I force quit and re-export the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the same thing that happens to my documents in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues as well with exporting to Pdf's in the background. And why did Adobe put in a cancel button in the background panel that does not work? Yet if you are doing a book export from the book panel, InDesign CS5 does not go to background printing, but works in the same way it used to do in CS4. If you have a lot of documents put them into a single book (switching off numbering) and output to Pdf from there one by one and the background Pdf 'printing' does not kick in.

Yet I hope Adobe solves this Pdf issue. It sure has to do with the new background Pdf export which is great since one can continue to work. One other thing I have noticed is that for me many times the processing stops at 9%. Once it goes over 9% than I know InDesign CS5 will not stall the export to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm havinig this same issue.  It's now April of 2011.....has this been fixed by Adobe? Thanks for any help. I'm beginning to go insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you turned preflight off? That continues to be the best solution for me. Almost no crashes or hanging during PDFing with the preflight tool turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@portersmith,

Have you tried disabling Extensis plugins, or do you not have them installed?

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, I tried disabling them, and in fact, even completely uninstalling them, and it didn't help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew

Is this particular problem related to how InDesign5 now handles fonts or just with the Extensis plugin? I have never had Extensis on this computer and only use Font Book to manage my fonts. To cope with these continuing InDesign problems I have increased my ram to 16gb (no noticeable improvement), but have suspected fonts might be the problem for some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

Again, I'm talking only in the context of PDF export failures that go away when you use the script to force the export to the foreground.

There are multiple root causes involved, all of which have to do with some piece of code not anticipating the fact that the PDF export is on a background thread. We've got one fix in 7.0.3, there are changing in an upcoming update that will hopefully resolve some of the instances associated with Extensis plug-ins and other scenarios, and we are workign with Extensis to guide them on updates that they can make to avoid issues.

If you have a failure that does not go away with foreground exporting, then it shouldn't be discussed on this thread.

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthew,

For your information:

-     I have this problem on the Windows platform (XP Pro with Service Pack 3)

-     ID version running = 7.03

-     No Extensis plug-ins installed

-     And the problem does go away when I force the export to the foreground (using the "book" option, just tested this to confirm)

When exporting in the background, I'm able to export one (1) PDF, the subsequent exports stall and I have to force quit Indesign and restart to get it working (i.e. I'm then able to export just one PDF again...)

Luckily ther is the book workaround 🙂

Thanks,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JanG,

I've very much like to get your document to try to reproduce. The more reprodocible cases, the better our odds at tracking down all defects related to code not adjusted to handle the case of background threaded export. If you can, package the file, add your preflight profile (if not using the default) and PDF settings file (if not using one of the canned versions, in which case, let me know which), then post to share.acrobat.com, yousendit.com, etc, and send me the link. Oh, you can send a private message by clicking on my name anywhere in this thread and look to the upper right for the "Send Private Message" command.

Sincerely,

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matthew.

I sent you a private message with the link to the document.

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep same problem. Called Adobe Australia and the guy was zero help! Reparied disk permissions, no change. Not using a PDF preset, still no good. Has anyone fixed this yet? What's going on?

Also, postscript 3? OS 10.4 doesn't have it installed as a pdf .ps printer... And the adobe website just sends you round in circles trying to download it... If anyone has the installer file can you please send it to tim@urchin.com.au

Thanks,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines