Skip navigation

Search not highlighting results consistently

Jun 16, 2011 7:59 AM

Latest reply: DragJo, Sep 23, 2011 6:56 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2011 3:47 AM   in reply to MClareS

Not the greatest workaround in the world but I need this function constantly so, been copying/pasting into Word and searching there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2011 8:11 PM   in reply to digitalH2O

I believe this workaround may satisfy everyone.  If I open the Full Reader Search, and perform the same search within the current document, Reader produces a list of all instances (results) of the searched text.  If you select one of those instances, the document advances to the relevant portion of the text.  However, the search text may still not be highlighted.  Select the same instance of the results list again, and the text now becomes highlighted.  This seems to work regardless of the setting for "Enable search highlights from external highlight server" in the Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 10:33 AM   in reply to MClareS

Here's a workaround that works for me with Acrobat 9.4.5 while we're all waiting for Adobe to fix this.

1.  Don't use the find option.  Instead use search (Edit | Search or Shift+Control+F).

2.  Enter your search term and click "search".

3.  You'll get a list of the instances of your term within the document.

4.  If you single click on any of the results listed, you'll have the same problem everyone is complaining about -- the search term won't be highlighted in the text.  But if you DOUBLE CLICK on the result, the search term will be highlighted in the document.  So basically, you can just work through the list of results, double-clicking on each one to see your search term in the document.

This is clunky, but at least it seems to work until Adobe gets their act together.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2011 1:39 PM   in reply to MClareS

I had the exact same problem. Simple soultion:

1) Uninstall Reader 9.4.5

2) Install Reader 9.4

3) After installation, go to "Edit > Preferences > Updater" and click the radio button that says "Do not download or install updates automatically.

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:16 AM   in reply to rey1313

hello,

we don't want to go back from the prevoius version because of security alert issued by Adobe. And that is the reason why we update our Adobe from 9.4.4 to 9.4.5.  So please fix it.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to MClareS

I updated to Adobe Acrobat 9.4.5 recently, and whereas the highlighting of text found in a text search used to work routinely, now searched text is highlighted only about 5% of the time when I step through a document, and I can't figure out why it does work a small percentage of the time.  This is one of the major, common uses of Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe has left this issue festering for weeks now. It is making my work harder right now, and when I'm paying Adobe for this basic function, it is truly the sign of poor quality control at Adobe.  Adobe, fix this problem soon, and stop listing this item as "possibly solved" until it is solved!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 3:24 PM   in reply to Steve2644

I just got an email from Acrobat saying "we are not ignoring you" which then went on to basically say that they are ignoring us, because it's still not fixed!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 1:09 PM   in reply to MClareS

My activity had the Adobe Pro 9.4.5 update pushed to users late last week.  Several knowledgeable users agree with the following error characterization: Adobe search will not highlight the first occurrence of a term on a page.  If there is a second occurrence on a page it will highlight after clicking the Find Next arrow/button.  Then, if you reverse the search direction, it will highlight the first occurrence on that page.  If there is only one occurrence on a page, it will not highlight or FIND the search term.

If you think you are missing more occurrences per page of the search term, copy and paste the suspect area to a text editor and you will probably see the image you recognized as your search term does not actually contain the exact character string you searched for.

The appearance of a very light gray vertical line next to the search term seems to be entirely dependent on desktop/window color or theme selection or setup.  The default Office/Windows configuration seems most likely to show this bar/pointer.  I have never been able to see it with my low-intensity higher-contrast color scheme.

An interim work-around for Adobe Pro is to drop down the search dialog and select "Full Acrobat Search...  Shift+Ctrl+F." Then, in the results window, select a hit-line twice and the search term should highlight in the document window.

OtherNMCI users/customers: this activity's local NMCI COR said it is best for all users having this problem to report it to the NMCI Service Desk as their priorities are set directly by the number of affected users.

Regards,

sierra.charlie

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2011 11:03 AM   in reply to MClareS

There are two replies here that are partiallay helpful until a real fix is available: Use the Search function from the Edit menu (Ctrl-Shift-F) or use the navigation keys next to the search box. Each of these work ... sort of.

Until then, we all wait.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 2:02 PM   in reply to WallahWallah

Not that it would matter, but maybe a Better Business Bureau complaint

(

http://sanjose.bbb.org/ComplaintDetail.aspx?CompanyID=0000204797) would get Adobe's attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to Bryan Capps

I doubt a complaint is valid by users of the free Reader, but those of us who are PAYING for the Pro version might have a leg to stand on. It's now been OVER a month, & I was originally promised by an Adobe rep that it would be a few days.

Adobe has more than dropped the ball here. They've thrown it in our face.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to grossmusic

Agreed.  I've been a well-paying user of every Acrobat version since version

3, and this functionality has been in all versions until now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 2:08 AM   in reply to MClareS

Hey here is a solution.. You can search through Ctrl+Shift+f (or Edit -> search).. The result is highlighted if done this way.. Hope this helps !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 9:49 AM   in reply to MClareS

Are you kidding me!!?  With as many daily updates as Adobe pushes out for Acrobat and Reader... you'd have thought this was fixed by now.

PDF's are used for everything these days. I use them constantly at work.

It is completely unacceptable that Adobe flubbed this MOST USED feature in their software.

At first I thought this was some kind of screw up with my computer's operating system... or maybe even malware.  Nope, just a botched software update that's been ignored for over a month now.

Sincerely,

Pissed Off Adobe User (Brett W.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to MClareS

This thread, and this bug, have now been running 37 days - when is Adobe going to fix such a manifestly obvious error in a function that almost everyone uses? It is not "possibly answered" as indicated. How can we remove that status and get Adobe to pay attention?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 10:19 AM   in reply to dmwhk

dmwhk wrote:

This thread, and this bug, have now been running 37 days - when is Adobe going to fix such a manifestly obvious error in a function that almost everyone uses?

Hard to say. 37 days isn't long in the development world. Maybe the next release. Maybe the one after that...

dmwhk wrote:

It is not "possibly answered" as indicated

That is an automatic function of the forum software. As soon as someone replies, it's "possibly answered". Then again, possibly not.

dmwhk wrote:

How can we remove that status and get Adobe to pay attention?

Again you can't remove it butyou can always file a bug report although by now, I'm sure they are aware of it. This is a user to user forum and not a route to Adobe support so don't expect to see anything in here (although they've responded in these forums before).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:17 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

~graffiti wrote:

dmwhk wrote:

This thread, and this bug, have now been running 37 days - when is Adobe going to fix such a manifestly obvious error in a function that almost everyone uses?

Hard to say. 37 days isn't long in the development world. Maybe the next release. Maybe the one after that...

Not that long if you were developing some new features or something.

We are talking about Millions of users who are wasting tens of thousands of hours crossing their eyes looking for words like "electromagnetic".

It's unacceptable that Adobe's updater nags you daily and what you end up with is a headache for a month and a half.

As far as I'm concerned this is priority #1.

Sincerely,

Still Pissed (Brett W.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:34 AM   in reply to MClareS

Same issue here, happened after I uninstalled Reader X, installed 9.4, then updated to 9.45.

Very annoying, but not as bad as X's tiny search buttons and the blocking part of the page with the search drop-down, which is why I moved back to 9.x

If they let me move search back to the toolbar, with larger buttons, then I'll go back to 10.x  (Make it the same as Firefox's search controls)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to MClareS

I'm currently waiting to get my new avatar approved... feel free to use it!

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7889/adobefixthesearch.png

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7889/adobefixthesearch.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to Bryan Capps

I had the same issue, but after upgrading to X it was OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2011 6:33 PM   in reply to HearingProtection

SEPTEMBER. The JERKS who call themselves Technical "SUPPORT" (what a misnomer) are now saying to wait until SEPTEMBER for a fix to something THEY broken in mid June. JERKS!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 9:06 AM   in reply to grossmusic

September? That's interesting. Were you told that directly from Adobe, and if so, when was that?

I'm a reporter for Law Technology News and just yesterday an Adobe spokeswoman told me they have a date in mind but that she's not at liberty to disclose it. I wrote an article about it here.

If anyone who reads this thread is a lawyer and experiences the bug, then I'd like to talk with you privately. My email address is ekoblentz(at)alm.com.

- Evan Koblenz

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 9:34 AM   in reply to ekoblentz

Thanks for writing an article about this issue Evan!  Hopefully it helps to draw awareness to the problem.  I don't think Adobe is taking it too seriously.  I've already started looking into alternative PDF viewers/annotaters.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 10:08 PM   in reply to Brett W.

As someone here suggested, I complained to the Better Business Bureau. I own the full Pro version, which is not cheap.

The BBB told Adobe to communicate with me.

I received the following from someone with poor English skills named Mradul Kumar [e-mail address removed]

Acrobat Engineering is working on these Bugs on priority and it should (not yet guaranteed) more likely be fixed in our next release(Acrobat 9.4.6). Next release should be coming somewhere around September month.

Please inundate Adobe & this person with your complaints.

This has gone on too long already, & to be told another 2 months (which we all know is a lie based on their past communications so far) is UNACCEPTABLE.

|
    Mark as:

Well I'm not waiting until September. I've found and installed a piece of software that fixes my problem, and no... it's not made by Adobe.

Foxit Reader

The Best PDF Reader – Over 100 Million Users

Whether you're a consumer, business, government agency, or educational organization, you need to read and annotate PDF documents and fill out PDF forms.  You need your PDF Reader to be:

• Fast - so you're not waiting forever to read files.
    • Lightweight - so it's easily deployable and doesn't exhaust system resources.
    • Secure - so you don't get infected with viruses and can keep sensitive information safe.
    • A Platform - so you can extend the Reader by creating your own value added capabilities for internal use or for resale.

FYI: The most important feature not listed above is that it also HIGHLIGHTS YOUR SEARCH TERM!

Just in my quick tests today, I've opened the same document in Adobe Reader 9.4.5 and Foxit Reader 5.0.2.0718 and Foxit is consuming 25%+ less memory than Adobe.  The files appear more or less idential in graphical rendering, and Foxit lets you keep adding Callouts and Textboxes without having to keep clicking on the menu button.  Foxit saved PDFs open in Adobe just fine.

Foxit now has 100,000,001 users and counting ;-)

Download it here:

[malware link removed]

Sincerely,

Inspired to Change (Brett W.)

Message was edited by: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 2:25 PM   in reply to ekoblentz

Evan, I'm a lawyer and, in fact, I sent an e-mail to LTN giving them a

head's up on the bug.  Let me know if I can help.  Saw your article.  Nice

job.

Bryan Capps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to Brett W.

Here's Adobe's response after telling the BBB that the Complaint I filed was really a technical support request:

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for choosing Adobe enterprise support. The two issues mentioned by you after running Acrobat 9.4.5 update have already been reported to Acrobat Engineering. Please find the Bug number along with details mentioned below.

Bug - 2899647  - Issue is if we search for some word in a multipage pdf document and when we click on occurrences that are present on other pages, the searched word is not highlighted in the page.

Bug - 2899192  - Issue is that after update from 9.4.4 to 9.4.5 it is no longer possible to select multiple pages in a PDF by command-clicking(MAC)\Control, Shift-clicking(WIN) on thumbnails in the Pages sidebar.

Acrobat Engineering is working on these Bugs on priority and it should (not yet guaranteed) more likely be fixed in our next release(Acrobat 9.4.6). Next release should be coming somewhere around September month.

Let me know if there is anything else where I may help you with.

Thanks

Mradul Kumar

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 2:45 PM   in reply to Bryan Capps

Bryan, I sent you a private message just now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 11:17 PM   in reply to ekoblentz

I joined this forum to find an answer to my problem. I thought I am the only one having such problem. I hope that this bug will be fixed soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2011 6:39 AM   in reply to Michael Allsopp1

Thank you so much, Michael... that actually fixed my issue and I'm on a PC.  I can't tell you how frustrating this has been!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 8:49 AM   in reply to MClareS

Adobe now says September 13.

Here's the follow-up article I wrote. http://bit.ly/pXB0q5

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to ekoblentz

Good article.

There is another bug that Adobe won't even recognize because they can't duplicate it, but it only happens in 9.4.5 Acrobat Pro, & despite their nay-saying, it's a very REAL problem that THEY created with this disastrous update.

It's hard to explain, & most people in this thread are Reader users.

In short, while editing, the last edit made often pops up in a new edit, making it IMPOSSIBLE to continue with the current edit until going back (sometimes many pages) find the last edit that is skewing things. It's infuriating & adds so much time to the process of editing for clients that I'm ready to abandong Adobe completely.

This means I'll not use any Adobe products. If they can't make it function smoothly & do so in a timely manner, I have NO respect for this company.

Adobe STINKS right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 8:03 PM   in reply to MClareS

Reader Fix:  Go here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/  Select 9.40, install it, and tell it not to update, or you'll end up at 9.45 again.

(looking for a way to update to 9.4.4, then stop.)

I'll consider Reader X if they make the search dropdown NOT block page content, and make the buttons larger (Copy Firefox's search controls.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 1:48 PM   in reply to MClareS

In our tests today (08/03/11) with Acrobat Pro 9.4.5, the problem occurs on our Windows 7 computers but not our Vista computers.

Also, the "Find" feature is sort of working in that it does take the user to the page with the first matching text (but it fails to highlight the matching text) - clicking the "Next Find" button cause Acrobat to highlight the next (and subsequent) matching text ON THE SAME PAGE.  If the next matching text is instead on another page, Acrobat again fails to hightlight only the first matching text on that page...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 2:36 PM   in reply to MClareS

See my suggested/potential fix at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/868243.  Let me know if it works for you.

Bryan Capps

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to MClareS

After reading these posts I no longer feel crazy. As suggested I called Adobe to find out if the fix would really launch on Sept 13 as stated in the article referenced here and opted to have them call me back rather then wait on the phone. They did return my call, but because I am only a single user in a large medical center and did not have the serial number to my Adobe Acrobat Pro (IS installed), they said they could not help me. Unless you have your serial number you cannot access technical support?? Really?? Why if I did not have the product would I call for help? And I didn't think you could do multiple downloads of programs anymore, so what's the difference?  As a backup I also emailed the preson at Adobe w the same question. Will be curious to see if they answer or ask for my serial number. I am still amazed how a major software company could have such a glaring glitch and not find and put out

a solution sooner? This would never happen in our industry. If anything the whole team would work extended hours for resolution so that we could get it out to and keep our customers happy!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2011 5:45 PM   in reply to MClareS

Here is a solution!  I read this article and I was not having the issue.  However I noticed the issue on my wifes computer,  The only difference is that I run abobe in "Reading Mode" and my wife does not.  She uses the search window at the top right.  When I ran a search on her computer there was no highlight.  In the "Reading Mode" like I use,  I use the floating seach option that accessing shft+ctrl+F.  Every word is hightlighted for me and if one misses,  I just click the word in the floating search window and it highlights all the occuences of the searched word on the the page.

I hope this helps lessening the burden as we wait for Adobe to hear us.  Good luck!

Wuzisname!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2011 7:40 PM   in reply to wuzisname

Hi Wuzisname,

This was mentioned before... but it's not a fix, just a temporary band-aid.  I don't like using that separate window, it just seems to get in my way and requires you to click on found search hits.  Furthermore, Adobe doesn't need any more time than they've already had.  What are they doing??...holding out until version 11 to give us basic search functionality (back)??? There is only one Apple Inc. in this world, knock it off Adobe.

See my previous post about Foxit Reader.  One nice feature it has is tabs for all of your open PDFs.  So far I love it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2011 4:10 PM   in reply to 2s4zjt697ds31

You can download each update separately.  It takes a little time but I am at 9.4.4 and have turned off auto updates.

|
    Mark as:

Ever since I got disgusted with Adobe, who obviously couldn't give a darn about users who have been using their buggy Adobe Reader, I've been using the FREE Foxit Reader!

Adobe has ignored me and I don't have to take it. Neither do you!

Download it HERE:

[malware link removed]

Foxit Reader

The Best PDF Reader – Over 100 Million Users

Whether you're a consumer, business,  government agency, or educational organization, you need to read and  annotate PDF documents and fill out PDF forms.  You need your PDF Reader  to be:

• Fast - so you're not waiting forever to read files.
    • Lightweight - so it's easily deployable and doesn't exhaust system resources.
    • Secure - so you don't get infected with viruses and can keep sensitive information safe.
    • A Platform - so you can extend the Reader by creating your own value added capabilities for internal use or for resale.

The Foxit Reader is a small, fast, and  feature rich PDF viewer which allows you to open, view, and print any  PDF file. Unlike other free PDF readers, Foxit Reader also includes easy  to use collaboration features like the ability to add annotations, fill  out forms, and add text to PDF documents.   Foxit Reader has a small  footprint that starts up instantly, renders PDF files quickly and uses  very little memory, which is especially important with today's handheld  devices.  The Foxit Reader is packed full of convenient and easy to use  viewing, editing and printing features that make document collaboration  simple.  Foxit Reader's secure platform insures worry free operation  against malicious virus and provides a secure and reliable digital  signature verification platform for exchanging electronics documents  without putting the user at risk from falsified documents.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points