Skip navigation
George Johnson 11,673 posts
Aug 11, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Image/graphic field that works with Reader

Oct 26, 2010 10:47 PM

Acrobat allows you to set up a button to display an image/graphic, and allows the buttonImportIcon JavaScript field method to allow a user to select the button icon. This used to work with Reader but was taken away for some reason. Forms create with LiveCycle Designer allow for an image field that can work with Reader, but Acrobat no longer does. There is no good reason not to allow for this type of functionality.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I agree!! This feature is necessary and needed! Especially for us Mac users that cannot use LiveCycle!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 8:44 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I agree as well. This is something that used to be available. It is a very basic necessary function for so many reasons. Please do consider (seriously) adding this feature back. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2011 4:03 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I fully agree, and I consider it an unfriendly act. I do not see any reason why LCD should allow it (for Reader), but Acrobat not.

Well, there may be a reason, but that one would be really unplaesant…

Max Wyss.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 2:35 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Yes, please bring back the "insert Image" feature for Acrobat on Macs. Just give us LiveCycle, please.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to melliebunti125

Be careful with what you wish for… (LCD on Mac)

Max Wyss.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2011 3:34 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Please add this feature.

This seems like such basic feature that by not including this capability, Adobe comes off appearing quite cynical in their product offerings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:49 AM   in reply to George Johnson

yes, this functionality is essential for creating forms that collect information from participants/applicants that I need.  Right now I'm stuck with word to do this and it isn't pretty.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 7:41 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I would love to have this feature as well. Why should it limited to Windows only?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 6:12 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I agree with the comments made here, just wanted to point out that Mac users can use forms that were created in LC, just not create them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to George Johnson

I cannot imagine why this feature was taken away.  Please bring it back.  It would make users feel a little bit better.  Like me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to George Johnson

PLEASE make this feature available in Acrobat. The hassle of using LCD just to allow users to upload images is a big pain when creating/editing forms due to the fact that you lose the ability to add/remove pages, edit content, etc. in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Thanks for such a quick responce. I am shocked that something seemingly so simple is not available. They need to make that feature available again! Why would they take it away in the first place?!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I agree, this needs to be available. I am about to cal my client with the dissapointing news that the job he asked me to do is not possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to AmandaZee

Amanda, I figured out a way to do it in a round about way. Below are the instructions I sent to my client.

In open document, make sure you are in edit mode. On the right side – Forms – Edit.

Tasks – Add New Field – Button

Your cursor turns into a slim rectangular box. Draw a square with in the image box I have created.

You can name the button what you like(it doesn’t really matter), I have been calling it Submitted Image

Click on All Properties

General Tab - make sure the form field is visible. This should be the default.

Appearance Tab – Make the borders and colors, both no color.

Options Tab – Layout: Icon Only.   Advanced – When to scale: Always. Scale:Proportionally. Click OK

Options Tab – Choose Icon – Browse – Find the Picture you are using (IMAGE NEEDS TO BE SAVED AS A PDF). Click OK

Close Button Properties, repeat for second image.

When done placing images, Tasks – Close Form Editing

Save

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to ashrcn81

Thanks for the instructions! I have created a template that I want to be

able to send out to multiple clients. The idea is that they can place

their logo and contact information. I have the text fields all figured

out. I was able to follow your instructions and place an image in Pro,

but will my clients using only Reader?

Thanks again for your help!!

a

Amanda Zylstra

[signature deleted by host]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to AmandaZee

Hi Amanda,

Unfortunately you cannot place images like that in Reader. I meant to mention that in my post. Luckily my client was willing to purchase Acrobat. It is really unfortunate that Reader has such limitations, especially since it used to work just fine.

Sorry for any confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Amanda and others I have only figured out one way to add graphic to a pdf in reader. I created a tutorial How to add custom graphics to a PDF

It would be nice if placing a graphic was much easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to cathykka

Wow, that looks like it'll do it. I can't try it as I have Acrobat Pro. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Yes, please add this feature.  We have a client that would like to create controlled, co-branded documents with their partners.  We would like to define regions in which partners can upload their own logos without requiring partners to buy software or need advanced expertise.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Crazy that we pay the same for Acrobat X Pro but don't get Live Cycle.   How many designers have had to find a clumsy work around for this missing function? Even crazier that this function WAS possible in Acrobat but now is not!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to George Johnson

+1 for adding the ability to insert an image into a form. This is a serious omission from what are supposed to be fully functioning "interactive forms". InDesign CS6 was supposed to have greatly improved interactive form creation tools, but the truth is something different. LiveCycle is a mediocre solution because it strips out any custom formatting that is set up in InDesign or Acrobat, especially all the new custom styles for radio buttons and check boxes that InDesign CS6 has in it. AcrobatX only comes with LiveCycle ES2 (9) and not ES3 (10). It would be nice to be able to try ES3 to see if any of these issues have been resolved, but the LiveCycle Designer ES3 demo installer doesn't work because it asks for a serial number and this can't be bypassed.

Needless to say I'm frustrated and annoyed by all this. I have a client that really needs to be able to insert multiple JPG images into a form and we can't find a satisfactory solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Agree totally! A way to allow the user to insert an image into a fillable pdf form is greatly needed!  I love the features of the pdf fillable forms, and how user friendly they are.  Been pushing my company to get all our forms converted to pdf forms- some of us have Acrobat X pro, and others in the company only have reader. Hope they come up with a solution soon!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Everyone will be pleased to hear - buttonImportIcon now works in Adobe Reader XI.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I can't say I'm all that thrilled about this. I don't expect the end users of my forms to first convert images to a PDF before insertion. My biggest example is the aforementioned industrial service report for one client that can have up to 60 survey images in one document. I need them to be able to upload 4:3 or 3:2 images from their cameras into the document along with 18 pages worth of other info, which is diagrams to draw on, text fields, checklists, and that sort of thing. I've suggested we do this other ways, namely through a web based system, but they love the PDF doc I made for them. They don't have to worry about how it got to be what it is, and they feel it's quite user friendly. Unfortunately (or is that fortunately for me?) every time they make any significant changes to the layout I need to go all the way back to InDesign and then through the Acrobat/LiveCycle process to get all the styles, image functionality, tab orders, etc. sorted out. Although I've made some improvements to my workflow as the project has been evolving, it's a rather time consuming process.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to Brad S.

Yes, it doesn't sound like a great improvement if the only thing you can

import is PDF files, which you can't create unless you have Acrobat (or

some other 3rd party application), in which case, you don't really need

this feature in the first place.

Well, I guess something is better than nothing...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Only now you'll have to purchase LC as a separate product, if I understood

correctly... And you still have the issue of it not being available for Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Brad S.

Brad - just get those folks to use Acrobat and you'll be all set.   They are expecting too much from Reader!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Don't forget to mention, that XFA-forms still have to be Reader-enabled to be savable with Reader.

George Johnson wrote:

It's much better than nothing. The workaround of using an XFA form with one or more image fields to use as the source for the button icons is probably the simplest approach, especially now that Reader is able to save a non-enabled document.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Yes. Please stop taking functionality AWAY. It's lazy, and just wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to George Johnson

George,

Were you able to put a tutorial together? I also have a design client that has generic forms and would like their clients to be able to insert their logo in the top corner to personalize the forms for their businesses. If this is possible, what are the steps?

Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I will add my voice to the people who want to be able to insert a photo into a form.  I assumed it was a given when I was building my application, sure was a surprise when it wasn't there....

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to BSisson

You have two ways to accomplish this.

1 – Use an XFA-based form and Reader-enable it.

2 – Convert the photo to a PDF and have users use Reader XI.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to George Johnson

The issue is that many of us would like to use the cameras built into our phones and tablets while were are filling in forms.  Not sure how many phones will save a picture as PDF or link automatically to something asking for a PDF..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points