Skip navigation

CS5 Point to file bug

Jul 14, 2010 6:30 PM

Latest reply: a.b.kline, Mar 19, 2012 3:38 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Jul 25, 2011 1:12 PM   in reply to D Semick

Michael, I think that's part of the bug. For me, if I switch the menubar to the other monitor, I have my main screen at 15.4" inches instead of 25.1 inches.

Yes, this problem still exists with 10.6.x. And it did not exist for me on CS3 or CS4 or when this was a Macromedia-owned application.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 1:50 PM   in reply to D Semick

Ok, I've been digging in more into code/terminal/files/blah...

I think it might be related to an issue with Extended Display Identification Data (EDID).  If I end up fixing this, I'll post the how-to here, but still please contact Adobe about this in the meantime.  Thanks.  Also, if others could look into the EDID that'd be great too.

• It would be very helpful to me if everyone would please list what kind of external display you are using.  Also, this way if I fix it for myself, I can figure out a way to fix it for everyone hopefully.  I have a feeling they aren't Apple branded displays, are they? (at least not when the trouble started)

• Also, have you ever or do you have any issues with resolution when you log out of your machine (without a display hooked up to it)?

• Is anyone using a clean install of the OS or how are you set up?  Via Migration Assistant, from SuperDuper! clone, etc.?

• If you migrated from another machine to your current new one.  Did you have issues?  Permissions/ACL/etc.

• Have you ever used the third party app DisplayConfigX?

• What kind of Mac are you using specifically?

Note: My external display is a Planar PL1911M 17in set to 1280x1074 but it comes up as a Novatek 563D in Display preferences.  It's hooked up to my Mini-DisplayPort via DVI adapter (all digital, not analog).   My Mac is a MacBook Pro i7 2011.   Problem with CS5 and CS5.5 and Mac OS 10.6.6 & 10.6.7

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 2:24 PM   in reply to greenbluewave

Thanks for your efforts, greenbluewave!

You're working a little over my head. Okay, a lot over my head. I'll do what I can to provide any info I can.

My monitor setup:

Video Card #1 (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT)

Left Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW / resolution: 1600x900 @ 60Hz

Right Monitor: Samsug SyncMaster 2233SW / resolution: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz

Video Card #2  (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT)

Center Monitor (Main Display): Apple Cinema HD 23" / resolution: 1920x1200

• Also, have you ever or do you have any issues with resolution when you log out of your machine (without a display hooked up to it)?

Doesn't apply/haven't done this

• Is anyone using a clean install of the OS or how are you set up?  Via Migration Assistant, from SuperDuper! clone, etc.?

Been through several OS upgrades using Migration Assistant

• If you migrated from another machine to your current new one.  Did you have issues?  Permissions/ACL/etc.

Migrated from a PowerBook 17" to current machine about 3 years ago. No significant issues to the best of my recollection.

No.

MacPro 1,1 / Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 2.66 GHz / 11 GB memory / Bus Speed 1.33 GHz (purchased 2008)

This problem first started for me when I upgraded to CS5.5. I don't recall it occuring in CS5, and it's a feature I use a lot.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 3:39 PM   in reply to greenbluewave

My monitor setup:

Imac 7,1 @ 1920 x 1200

Second Monitor to right @ 1360 x 768

Doesn't apply/haven't done this

Been through several OS upgrades upgrade from CS3 to 5.5, but my second monitor was on the left with no issues

No issues

No.

MacPro 7,1 - 10.6.8 2.8GHz 6GB RAM

Some notes: I can confirm that If I change the position of the screens while DW is open. Like move the secondary from the right to the left. The blue arrow initiates from the far right of my screen, in the file list like FarThoughts posted. If I restart DW, it starts in the correct place, but then reverses at about 1360 px (x) from the left of the main monitor left edge. 1360 happens to be the width of the secondary monitor on the left side. If I change the res of the secondary monitor to 1024 x 768, and restart DW (because the arrow starts again from the wrong place) it reverses at the 1024 mark. So this bug is dependent on the width resolution of the secondary monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 5:38 PM   in reply to cjamesrun

Thanks, cjamesrun, which brand/model external monitor are you using?  It's non-Apple, isn't it?  Also, check to see how Apple Displays Preferences reports it as compared to what you see labelled on the physical monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 5:43 PM   in reply to kivcre

Thanks kivcre, does Apple Displays Preferences (preference pane, etc.) show the same make and model as what you physically see labeled on the actual displays or are any of them different in any way that Apple is reporting them?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 5:09 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

You're welcome.

Apple Display Preferences simply ID my monitors as "Syncmaster", "Cinema HD", and "Syncmaster" at the tops of their respective dialog boxes.

I didn't see any other way in the prefs panel to find more info about specific monitors. Let me know if I'm missing something.

I used a combo of System Profiler and the labels on the backs of my two Samsung monitors to pull the info I sent earlier.

I don't see any conflict between the physical labeling on the monitors and the way they're ID'd by the OS – either in display prefs or System Profiler.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 10:01 AM   in reply to kivcre

Thanks again for more info.  You were able to stop me from a few wild goose chases that would have taken a lot of time to debunk otherwise.  I'm still narrowing things down and also asking for outside help here and there.  I'll update back soon on what I've canceled out so far so it can help others troubleshoot.  If I find a fix (or at least know what it is, but can't fix it) I'll report here immediately.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2011 4:18 PM   in reply to greenbluewave

In the end, I have some good leads.  I think it may very well be a combination of a bug with perhaps how apple handles external displays (especially third party) combined with a definite bug in how Dreamweaver reads EDID data, etc. (external display data).

Unfortunately, I looked at how much time I was spending and all the uncompensated hours was adding up to be more than Creative Suite is worth after I apply my typical hourly wage.  I'm not in business to do free work for large, wealthy corporations like Adobe especially after having helped support the company so many years since its infancy with my own money and millions from my consulting over the years.

I'm going to cut my losses and just move my display to the right side of my computer.  It creates ergonomic issues and leaves me throughly disappointed with Adobe quality; but such is life.  If things like this keep happening, I will stop using Adobe products and also recommend alternatives to others as well.

It's a shame that such a glaring bug is being ignored.  If anyone who represents Adobe or is a moderator of this forum would like to prove me wrong, that'd be fantastic.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2011 4:55 PM   in reply to greenbluewave

I tried that arrangement with a new 27" iMac. Even with the main monitor (the computer itself) on the right, the 27" screen is too large for the point-to-file to work. You get almost the same results as above except that the arrow doesn't cross over to the secondary monitor; it just stops part of the way and then flips around to point to the left.

So, I see this "feature" as a total failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 5:29 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

Thanks for your detective work, GBW.

I've just learned to live with this stupid thing.

If I hit my lottery numbers, I'll buy a couple of Apple monitors to replace my Samsungs on the left and right to see if that has any effect.

All the best.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to kivcre

I know that this thread is considered not fixed, but it solved my problem. I just moved the menus (or related files for anchor links) to the left of the file from which I was linking. Someone posted that you can point left but not right, so I arranged elements so that pointing was only in that direction. I'm sure there are reasons why this won't work for everyone, but for me, it made my life much easier, so the problem isn't solved, but the workaround was successful.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points