• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OSX Lion, Lightroom 3 & deleted files: could be a bug?

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've a library saved inside an external HD.

Normally I work with this catalog, selecting the photos and elaborating the images.

Last week I've made the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion and today I've found that if I try to delete an image, LR tell me that is impossible, because the disc does not support a trash bin (???) and so I've only the possibility to remove the photo permanently from the HD.

but if I create a new document inside the HD, the system let me delete it and move it inside the trash bin without any problem.

So I've taken another HD, formatted with HFS+ Journaled, I've created a new catalog, imported some photos...same problem, same story...LR doesn't let me delete the images but only definitively removing teh photos from the HD.

This could be a bug from LR with Lion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR is listed as working with OSX 10.6, not 10.7, so expect problems if you have chosen to upgrade.

Problems reported with lots of Adobe stuff reported.

You may have to wait for fixes from Apple or Adobe...if they are still talking to one another. In the meantime best to stick with what Adobe recommend if Adobe products are what is important to you and that means 10.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

before installing Lion I've read this: Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion

The only problem listed is "Some customers have reported inconsistent connectivity with Lightroom 3.4.1 and their Nikon cameras when using Lightroom's tether function, after updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8. Adobe is working on this issue, but we suggest you remain with Mac OS 10.6.7 until the issue is resolved."

however, this strange behavior of LR is discontinuous...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to make sure the external drive is set to ignore permissions. This sets special ACLs for removeable media. Every release of OS X tweaks these a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok!

But could you please help me a little more and tell me how I can see if the external storage has the right permissions? (because the HD is already set to Read/Write inside the Info/Permissions tab)

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Apple and Microsoft have a one button fix for external drives, I think.

"Ignore permissions on this volume" or something via Info view. I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the exact same behavior. I have my pictures and the catalog on an external bus-powered drive.

LR tells me the drive doesn't support the Trash and can only permanently delete files.

The drive is set to ignore permissions.

LR 3.4.1 and OS X 10.7.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had a single issue with deleting files with Lion, its as transparent as a clean sheet of glass.

However, this does not help the afflicted.

As people have commented, it appears that your drives are not willing to support Trash cans.

I'd turn on View Hidden Files and look for  .TRASHES as that is where photos should be going.

If its not there, then look into changing permissions as suggested

A minor detail though.

Do you want to delete the files or just put them into a trash can?

If you want to delete them, then you have nothing to worry about. If you want to trash can them, then why are you deleting them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hamish:

I'm curious, are your files and catalogs on an external drive?

I don't have any problem if the files and catalogs are on my internal drive.

And you're right, this isn't really a problem, it's just odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to reset the Trash. It's not an Adobe problem. I went into Terminal and entered:

sudo rm -rf

followed by a single space. It asked for a password and after entering it I clicked enter. That cured it in all my hard drives. I also had to reset the SMC in the MacPro as it would not run when woken from sleep.

The full instructions are here if you need to go further: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10357452-263.html

Hope this helps.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John:

Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions at the link (including dragging the offending volume to the Terminal) and it fixed the issue.

I had to drag a file to the trash in order for Lion to make a .Trash folder but after that LR works like I'd expect.

Thanks,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... it *is* an Adobe issue: every other application I use has no problem at all deleting files from that very same external HD!

checked and, obviously, ".Trashes" is present so I'm not going to apply an unneeded 2009 fix to a 2011 OS 😕

so... what's Adobe word on this, please?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your point. At the same time, you can fix this right now or you can wait for Adobe to say something that they may or may not even approach.

Your choice.

And remember, since the goal is to delete the files, it really isn't much of an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... the issue is, once more, Adobe (and only Adobe) fixing their products months after a new Mac OS release

if only I liked Aperture just a little bit... 😜

ok: I'll see, thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pl_svn wrote:

... it *is* an Adobe issue: every other application I use has no problem at all deleting files from that very same external HD!

I assume your testing has been exhaustive? You've run a great number of apps in a great number of corner cases where this trick to force the OS to reset the special ACLs on a new device is useful?

This trick has been around for years, and is a response to any number of ways the OS or an app can get wedged interacting with the Trash/delete stuff on OS X. There is not much you can do to get around this problem as an application that follows the rules and tries to stick to supported file IO APIs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clvrmnky wrote:

I assume your testing has been exhaustive?

what, probably due to my bad english, you don't get in "every other application I use"? ("any" is correct, not "every": right?)

and, as you probably know, only in a few apps users can trash files from within the application

so... yes: in my exhaustive testing of the apps (that have access to the Trash) I use,  only LightRoom has this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is that your absolutist statements blaming Lr for all your problems is based on incomplete information.

This is a long-running issue with OS X. Sometimes apps can get wedged, and you have to resort to hacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudo rm -rf

Please *do not* do this unless you know exactly what you are doing.  If you make the slightest mistake with an rm -rf (and I'm not even sure what a rm -rf on OSX does with no arguments), it will happily delete all of your files in whatever directory you happen to be in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes: an extra space in the wrong place will erase the whole drive =:-/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lion is great, but this is the one and only problem I have left with Lion, exactly the same problem you are experiencing with LR 3.

Isopoda wrote:

I've a library saved inside an external HD.

Normally I work with this catalog, selecting the photos and elaborating the images.

Last week I've made the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion and today I've found that if I try to delete an image, LR tell me that is impossible, because the disc does not support a trash bin (???) and so I've only the possibility to remove the photo permanently from the HD.

but if I create a new document inside the HD, the system let me delete it and move it inside the trash bin without any problem.

So I've taken another HD, formatted with HFS+ Journaled, I've created a new catalog, imported some photos...same problem, same story...LR doesn't let me delete the images but only definitively removing teh photos from the HD.

This could be a bug from LR with Lion?

I have posted this same problem in the LR forums and as yet have not found an answer other than to take the drastic step of 'Delete Files Anyway?' and then seeing that the files are indeed removed from the library and then indeed also that the files have been removed from the disk, BUT (and this is a big BUT) there are no files in the trash, even though you would expect that if you delete the files, LR allows you to delete and move them to the trash. With Lion, they simply diappear - so my question is: Are the files deleted? or are they dumped somewhere invisible that I don't know about to accumulate on the disk somewhere?

It would be good to know...

It' would be good if they were simply moved to the trash like they were with LR2.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken... after updating to 10.7 I had a nasty issue with external HDs randomly becoming "read only", plus the one with Lightroom reported here

so I reinstalled 10.7 (and every app) from scratch (recreating all their settings and manually migrating documents only) and... the "read only" HDs issue was still there. it disappeared, though, the instant I removed DiskDrill form my system 🙂

but the Lightroom issue is still (randomly) there. when it happens just unmount/remount your external HD

hope it works for you too: it does everytime, here

and, once more, it only happens with Lightroom!

--

paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pl_svn wrote:

and, once more, it only happens with Lightroom!

--

paolo

Thank You paolo,

Seeing I am not the only one gives me hope that the issue will be addressed soon by Adobe. We like to keep our systems running lean and clean, so this is just one little 'hitch' that, when fixed, would make life so much better for users.

Thanks for your input,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem last night. Is the solution as outlines in the 9th response above the first step I should take? Is there any point in calling Adobe for help? I have tried to unmount/remount the EHD, no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution outlined in post 9 will work to fix the problem -- for a while. It may come back.

I've fixed it twice and it's back again now.

And it doesn't just happen in LR. It happens in Aperture, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution outlined in post 9 does not work for me.  I still get the nasty window telling me that Lightroom cannot move the files to the trash.  I can delete files from the finder from the same drive with no issues.  Only when Lightroom tries to delete the files do I have an issue.  Unmounting the drive and remounting does not fix it.  Repair Disk does not fix it.  Under Snow Lion I was able to fix the problem for a while by either Repair Disk or unmount/remount (I don't remember which).  The problem would always return however.  Under Lion, I cannot fix the problem no matter what I do.  ADOBE PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines