Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML document.Switch to source mode to correct it.

Apr 6, 2010 3:57 PM

In the "Flex in a Week" training series, every example I attempt to open in Design mode displays the error:

"An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML document.Switch to source mode to correct it."

The problem has been posted numerous times, but I've yet to see an answer that describes how I can solve it. Again, I'm using the "Flex in a Week" examples exactly as downloaded from Adobe, no changes.

Appreciate a solution.

thanks,

jason

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2010 8:28 PM   in reply to visualplant3

Jason - what version of Flash Builder and the Flex in a Week files are you using? When Flex 4 and Flash Builder 4 were released at the end of March, a whole new version of Flex in a Week was launched (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/videotraining/). This version requires that you use the official release version of Flash Builder (linked from that page). In other words, if you were using testing with Flex in a Week for Flex 4 beta, then you will need the Flash Builder 4 beta 2 version of the software. If you are using the new Flex in a Week series, then you will need the release version of Flash Builder. You can't mix and match. HTHs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 9:31 PM   in reply to visualplant3

Can you tell me which Day zip (or project zip) you have downloaded and which project is the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 11:08 PM   in reply to visualplant3

Jason - I have downloaded the Day 1 zip and tested on two macs and a windows machine. I cannot replicate your problem; I do not see any error when switching between Source and Design mode in any of the projects. Can you copy-and-paste the code in one of the files that is erroring into a post so that I can see it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 11:33 PM   in reply to visualplant3

My pleasure. Glad you got it working.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2010 6:15 PM   in reply to visualplant3

This is a bug.  I had to close flex and re-open it.  Getting pretty tired of Flex :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 8:51 AM   in reply to AlexCook

I have the same thing happening on my MAC. I just got the CS5.5 Master which includes FB 4.5 and it happens on projects and it will not go away no matter how many times I restart Flex!

Is there any config I can change? Maybe related to SDK4.5.1? Please help!

Thank You,

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to 7esign

Is this happening on all your projects or only a particular one? Can you tell me exactly which project(s) you downloaded?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 10:22 AM   in reply to e2dev

It is happening on all except Hello World...Even on the Lynda.com exercise source files...Now also some of my projects are displaying square image with a little red X. Most of them are mobile projects, but even the Air based projects are acting up...

Marcelo Assis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to 7esign

just delete the files in C:\Users\USER\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6 .... you have to re-import all of your projects - but the error is gone.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points