Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using InDesign 5.5 with InDesign 5 files

Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A co-worker has InDesign 5.5 and wants to edit my InDesign 5 documents. Is this possible and will it cause problems with formatting and the fonts?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID 5.5 has a new file format. Files created or saved with 5.5 don't open in 5.0. The solution is to export in interchange format (IDML) so that 5.0 can reopen the file.

What a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save it in an IDML file and then he edits it in InDesign 5.5, and saves it in a IDML will formatting be changed or any other problems when I open it in InDesign 5?

I did not get my upgrade for CS5 wen it was free and now it costs $400. Do you see any reason to upgrade to CS 5.5?

Thanks Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save it in an IDML file and then he edits it in InDesign 5.5, and saves it in a IDML will formatting be changed or any other problems when I open it in InDesign 5?

It may.

If you use CS5.5-specific features, then it certainly will change.

If not, it probably won't, but it could... if you test it, you should see consistent results.

But it's not a recommended workflow and nobody is going to give you a guarantee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schwieterman wrote:

I did not get my upgrade for CS5 wen it was free and now it costs $400. Do you see any reason to upgrade to CS 5.5?

Thanks Carol

If you purchased CS5 during the free upgrade window you still qualify for the upgrade. Just call customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Milk that cash cow! Never-mind that you piss off your customers. I guess we'll have to expect an upgrade EVERY SINGLE YEAR from now on.

You know Adobe, Quark was once as arrogant and careless about customer service as you have become. Keep that in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can assure yout that nobody cares if you upgrade or not. If there are features you think are worth it, buy it...if not, don't.

It's called capitalism. Someone makes something and others decide whether to buy it or not.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You couldn't be more wrong. It's imperative that I upgrade to every new version. It's not about relatively minor new features, most of which are uneeded by anybody, but COMPATIBILTY with existing and new customers. It's not a matter of choice.

Coming out with a new version every 12-18 months is completely unecessary from a customer point of view. And if Adobe doesn't care about pissing off customers with another too-soon upgrade, like you assert Bob, then why are they in business?  And by the way, what's it to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You post something on the internet and everyone is free to respond...even people who disagree with you. And now that you've explained further I disagree with you even more.

If you have customers upgrading then you're using this software to make money. So what you're saying is you have the right to make money but Adobe doesn't? Interesting take on things especially when the upgrade cost can easily be covered in one job.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never said anything about Adobe not making money. My complaint is that it is unduly exploiting its customer base, many of whom (like us) must regularly upgrade multiple licenses. And who wouln't be using Creative Suite to make money? I don't know that anyone would purchase this expensive software for any other reason. If I pulled a stunt like this (forcing needless upgrades)  with my customers I could expect a similar reaction to mine. In fact, many of them would likely walk. Adobe can get away with it however, because it's software is so popular and wide spread. There is really no other option but shut up and pay.

I understand your point John, but do you honestly believe it's okay to pay (large sums I might add) for bug fixes? The subscription model is a good start towards placating annoyed customers, but Adobe could do a lot better. A mid-cycle bug fix upgrade (and actually called that instead claiming it's a major upgrade) with a low cost fee would be a lot easier to swallow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep insisting that these new features are worthless.

Tell that to someone who works on Epub and they're very like to laugh in your face.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd prefer not to get into marketing and product management questions, but I think there are reasonable answers on both sides.

We buy a volume license and with it buy automatic upgrades. I hear anecdotally that there's really no minimum purchase requirement to do so, so perhaps that's an option for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's wonderful to have new features. What is NOT wonderful, is the apparent, shall I say, self-interest of altering the file system to the point of incompatibility. We all know this not a REQUIREMENT of the upgrade design, it's done for programming ease and the specific purpose of squeezing more juice from the orange. Another one of Adobe's loathsome characteristics. They've been doing it forever. But between 5.0 and 5.5? Really, that is shameful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file structure was altered not to require you to purchase an upgrade, but to make certain new features work better. They didn't work well in version 7.0. They work better in version 7.5 because of the changes.

Now, if you don't use or need those new features, the only reason for purchasing the upgrade would be to enable opening of files saved by someone else in 7.5. If those files are not making use of the new features, having that person export .idml should be satisfactory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming out with a new version every 12-18 months is completely unecessary from a customer point of view. And if Adobe doesn't care about pissing off customers with another too-soon upgrade, like you assert Bob, then why are they in business?

This is a debate about progress and features versus stability, and it is hard to find a good balance that works for everyone.

I think Adobe is listening and that's why they have started the subscription model.

Personally, I am much happier with a faster release cycle because it means my bugs can be fixed faster, and I can get the features I need as the marketplace evolves. If I cared more about EPUBs and interactive stuff, which are not really my space, I would be much more interested as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those “you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't” types of issues.

In a perfect world, software developers would have the tremendous foresight to be able to plan for every feature that one would ever want now and in the future (and how the users want those features to be implemented), the insight into every operating system developer's plans for the next n years, and the skills to be able to implement such a miracle with the further miracle of no anomalies. Unfortunately, that perfect world simply does not exist and in fact is an impossibility.

(1)     There are features that were put into InDesign 7.5 for which no specification nor demand existing for InDesign 7.0 and well as features and standards that changed in a short period of time. Examples of this include ePub support, support for PDF/X-4:2010, support for VAR plug-ins for generation of PDF/VT, etc. I can give examples of similar features for every version of InDesign going back to InDesign 1.5. Getting these features out to our users as quickly as possible is a very strong requirement of many of our users, especially our users who are on the bleeding edge and must be able to take advantage of new technology, market trends, etc. Dare I say, such users are trying to make sure that they aren't the collateral damage of the changing requirements of their customers.

(2)     In the last several years, we have seen fairly upward-incompatible updates to MacOS X that required major changes in the MacOS versions of Adobe software and especially the installers for same. Windows hasn't been nearly as difficult in this regard, but there still has had to be some significant re-engineering to be able to fully and properly interface with new Windows versions. I know of very few Adobe customers who would be content to remain on old OS versions for any significant period of time after new OS versions are released simply because these new OS versions aren't compatible with their existing applications. Many of these OS changes are absolutely not simple changes or patches that could be easily applied to existing versions of Adobe applications.

(3)     And of course there are bugs that need to be fixed on a regular and ongoing basis. Users rightfully want them fixed yesterday. The only economically viable method of dealing with such fixes when new versions are under development is to put those fixes in the new release under development.

On top of all of this, there are accounting rules, at least in the United States, which prohibit us from adding significant features to existing software without some severe financial consequences. (This is associated with the rules of “revenue recognition.”)

Thus, the choice is that Adobe (1) rapidly releases new application and gets new/updated features as well as OS support to users in a timely fashion or (2) waits two to three years between releases and let the users stew about us not meeting their needs and OS incompatibility. The first option gets the advanced users what they need ASAP, but with a certain degree of pain (additional training, software installation, upgrade costs, etc.) The second option is less directly painful to the user in terms of the same factors, but also serves to throttle our users needs.

In many cases, Adobe has elected to go with the first option. There is no requirement that every user upgrade their software every time Adobe issues a new release. It is the users' choice. On the other hand, the users who chose not to upgrade cannot ethically complain that Adobe isn't moving quickly enough to provide tools for the latest and greatest standards and market conditions.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t believe the complaints about updated versions of any Adobe product.

People need to get it in their head that as time moves on, new features are created or edited or added or... to the programs. Look at all of the upgrades that Adobe’s done, and continues to do, to the InDesign program. New features are added and/or fixed with each new upgrade. Do you think that if you buy a version of InDesign, you should be able to upgrade it to the newest for free each year? How could Adobe continue to pay their staff to fix any problems or add anything new? Should they have just made InDesign and then made another "program" the next year with a different title? They take their time, after it’s been released, and try to see what new features could be added and/or what needs to be looked at and fixed. I agree that the prices are tough, but they can't do it for free and I'm pretty sure they don't do it on purpose.

There are only a couple of ways Adobe COULD change, if they felt it was needed.

1. When someone buy's the full version of a program, they have one or two free upgrades for the next versions released. This doesn't mean buy InDesign CS5 and then wait until CS7 to upgrade. It means a free upgrade to the NEXT version released.
  2. When someone buy's the full version of a program, there's something added to the package. You would pay for the program and an extra $50/$75 for a free upgrade to the next version that's released.
  3. Another option would be to join a group in Adobe.com. Like Creative Cloud, you'd pay a monthly/yearly fee and get all of the program upgrades for free, year round. They would have to be programs that are registered in your account and your fee might depend on the number of programs that you choose, but in the long run, it would even out.

Example: You have Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, Photoshop CS5, Illustrator CS5 and Photoshop CS5 registered in you account, but only want the upgrading for InDesign and Illustrator, so you pay the fee for two programs and not 4.

The only backfire with this idea is people joining for one month, upgrading their programs and then quitting, but I’m sure that there’s some legal ways that Adobe could fix that.

I’m just running out some ideas, but the point is that Adobe doesn’t make and/or update their programs free. They spend millions, in the studies, supplies, employees… to make these programs and keep them up to date with the latest technology. They continue to put out new programs/upgrades that help people all around, whether it has to do with photographs, architecture, any kind of designing, video editing,…or just using their computer(pdf). One problem they face is that some people just take them for granted and don’t understand why they’re being charged to keep up to date. People need to understand that even though they paid for the basic programs, to stay up to date is not free. If a doctor, who graduated from Duke in 2009, needed to take a course on a new computer control that’s now being used in surgery, would Duke tell him it was free to come back and take the course? He spent years there and has already paid them thousands, doesn’t he deserve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found this post because I'm looking for a way to export a cs5.5 for cs5. I found that answer, and for me, it's not a huge deal because I rarely have to do it. I don't mind paying for upgrades — as someone pointed out, I make money with this software, I just never thought the cs5 to cs5.5 upgrade was worth it. I've upgraded every creative suite since cs1 (and even before that I upgraded my software with every release).

Really, the only reason I'm posting is to add my 2¢ to this as a loyal (and long-term) Adobe customer. CS4>CS5 made total sense. There were lots of new features and every program was upgraded. I can't imagine being on CS4 anymore. CS5>CS5.5 makes no sense to me. I don't use Dreamweaver (loyal Textmate fan), so what's left are some minor upgrades. I'm not doing epub books, but even if I was, to me that's a free upgrade (InDesign 5.1 or whatever).

CS5.5 is the only upgrade I've not bought (and likely won't). I'm sure I'll buy CS6, I would just encourage Adobe to discontinue their policy of (charged) .5 upgrades. I don't care how often you upgrade as long as you're improving all the products in the suite with substantial changes.

And for the Adobe employee above complaining about how hard it is to keep up with Apple's OS updates: You might want to run that by your PR dept because it has already shown to be a serious problem for your PR and Adobe's been trying to back out of those statements. I'm sorry your engineers have to redo their code to keep up with recent operating system updates. I'm sorry you seem to be one of the rare few who'd rather develop for Windows. There will be a day when there is serious competition in the market for Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop; for your sake, I hope for your sake you have learned to keep up with Apple when that happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not very sympathetic to Adobe right now. The justification for changing a file format (yet again) sounds hollow, and in agreement with other posts, has the outward appearance of being designed to force an upgrade chain-reaction.

OK - I get it.  The rapidly changing technology landscape necessitates changing the file format to accommodate new innovations. But somehow I'm not convinced. Perhaps the lawyers and the accountants were put in the same room to figure out how to get past the accounting rules. And perhaps you've made us jaded Adobe.  The PSD file format is backwards compatible to the point of being  useful, but for InDesign (and Flash) there seems to be consistent file  format incompatibility from each major verison (and now minor verisons  too?!).

So it seems there is either an apparent (and recurring) lack of vision on the part of the engineers during the development of major product releases, or an inability to create a versitile adaptable file format (really?), or there is a revenue strategy.  Or some combination of all of the above. Regardless, it makes me and my clients hot under the collar to suddenly have to wrangle different file format versions while on a deadline because someone blindsides the workflow with a file format change -- this time based on an incremental version change?!

So Adobe hasn't compelled me to upgrade based on new indespensible technology or productivity advances. No, it has forced the upgrade based on a file format change they claim is needed to implement features that I don't require -- in an incremental upgrade.  I wonder what percentage of the install base will actually use it.

And now for the real issue:  The nightmare begins yet again - trying to service different clients with their various CS versions.  Trying to keep them happy while training them to export (continually reminding them about the "don't forget to export to IDML" extra step), not to mention the apologies for Adobe messing up the workflow.  Sure I can upgrade, or not.  But I have no control over their budget cycles, and their ability to keep in step.  And given that it was about a year ago that they made their way to CS5 (or not), this is a royal pain.

Adobe - you haven't improved my productivity with InDesign 5.5.  You have actually made it more difficult to get things done.  Hopefully I can appreciate what you have created in the future, but right now, I'm just plain angry.  Call me when CS6 is released and the file format has changed yet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lose the conspiracy theory. If that were case Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver would have the same issues.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they are being run by the A-Team.  How about not forcing $500 incremental version upgrades that disrupt workflows as they ripple through the user base. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the umpteenth time, nobody is forcing you to upgrade. Software / hardware upgrades are a part of doing business. If you need an upgrade to support your clients you can make that money back in a job or two.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you miss the point that an upgrade causes a chain-reaction of file version conflicts.  My upgrading means I'm removing effiency from the workflow of all the  clients that have not upgraded.  While not upgrading puts the burden on the  other clients to follow the workaround process to accommodate me.

The over-riding complaint isn't a new file format, a new feature, or the cost of the upgrade.  The complaint is the absence of backwards compatibilty outside of the juggling of exported and imported file formats.  And it keeps cropping up with every release.

In the real world that means someone forgets, so the files need to be reposted or resent, then there is a timelag associated with that and all the wasted productivity accompanying the process.  In my case it's not the money - it's the time.

Look. I've had to dig up passwords, figure out screen names and all sorts of misc. to be able to voice my frustration over an incremental version change.

And what was the lifespan of the release version of the 7.0 .indd file format anyway?  I would so much rather be excited about new features than dreading the next release and how that impacts workflows and the required workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you not bothered to read anything about this? If you need to send a CS4 file to a client then you work in CS4.

Upgrading to CS5.5 doesn't mean removing earlier versions from the machine. And if you have people working for you that can't understand something that simple, fire them, because they're totally incompetent.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh brilliant Bob - stick to defending Adobe instead of dispensing 3rd rate business advice. Yes, let's fill the machine with multiple versions of software releases until the system is a bloated pig (funny how quickly that still happens).  It would be much better if I could uninstall them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines