Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

rhyme or reason with rendering still images

Jul 20, 2011 4:43 PM

I've got a project that ends with a zoom in on a still image.  the image is sized so it can be rendered via the graphics card.  It plays back fine (in realtime yellow render bar), but when it comes to export it keeps crashing the enocder with an "unknown error". The file exports but its missing the section with the image.  To test I expoted just that section, and it exported most of it except the last few seconds.

I tried rendering the work area and it crashed premiere at frame 3218 of 3333

Sometimes still images seem to cripple premiere.  What could be going on here, and how can I make it reliable?

BTW the still image is nested, it has an animated gausian blur and opactiy change, and then this layer is stacked on itself twice - one with a blur, opacity and screen layer mode and once with blur , opactiy and multiply and masked.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2011 8:44 AM   in reply to getho

How big is your image? I recently did a wedding slideshow and wanted to do some zoomed-in pans across some of their engagement pictures, so used pictures sized around 3k on a standard 1920x1080 sequence. It crashed AME's encoder every time as soon as it hit that first big picture. I downsized the first big picture, tried again, and it crashed on the second big picture. I downsized all of them and redid my pans and zooms, and it exported fine. Didn't get quite the same look that I had wanted cause the pics were smaller, but it worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2011 11:56 PM   in reply to getho

As this document suggests, toward the end, you should perform the general troubleshooting steps when you get the message "Error compiling movie. Unknown error.".

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/906/cpsid_90670.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 12:32 AM   in reply to getho

If you also have After Effects, you might want to try using that instead. I did a three month timelapse with 70,000 stills (plus or minus a few hundred) that were 4928x3264 and had no problems. I was able to zoom, pan and layer stills upon stills for blur masks, effects and so on.

I tried using Premiere first, but I only got about four days into the timelapse before the system choked on it. Importing images as a sequence in AE solved all my problems, and allowed me to export one massive video clip with close to 100 layers (at 4928x3264 resolution, by the way) which then imported into Premiere CS5 with no problems.

I only have 16GB of RAM, but at the time I also had three 7200rpm drives in a RAID0 stripe (separate from my OS drive) and I think that helped a lot.

I should also add this was not using my GTX 285, but rather my ATI 5870, which seems to work better in After Effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 5:13 AM   in reply to getho

I'm thinking one or more of your images are still too big.

Try duplicating your timeline (so you don't lose any work) and then press A

and hold down Shift and click on your first clip. That should select all

clips on all layers. Then right click on the first one, and select "Scale to

Frame Size." If you've already used that command, selecting it again will

turn it OFF for all layers you turned it on. (If you've not already used

that command, then ignore the next bit because it will have worked). If you

have already used it, right click a second time and select "Scale to Frame

Size" and it will turn it ON for all layers. If that export works, then you

know you've got an image too big somewhere.

Also if you render as mpeg and not H.264, you'll be able to watch through

you're failed export until you hit the frame that killed it, which will tell

you exactly where your problem is. Mpeg doesn't require a full render to mux

the video and audio together to give you your finished .mp4 file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points