Currently Being Moderated

JPEG vs RAW

Sep 28, 2009 7:41 AM

Besides the editing, what are the adventages of shooting in RAW vs JPEG

Thank

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2009 10:42 AM   in reply to eothailand

You answered your own question... editing!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 11:25 PM   in reply to eothailand

Depending on what you will do with the files, shooting RAW can actually have a major disadvantage. It does take a bit of effort to work with and, should you choose not to do so, the image will not be as vibrant as the jpg created by your camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 5:11 PM   in reply to Saro_cmos

Even though no one visits this piece of crap forum any more, i must respond to the last post about raw being a major disadvantage. I can only say,are you kidding?  Go ahead and shoot jpg if you so desire,but you will never realize the full potential of your images shooting jpg. Hopefully your bad advice was not taken as the gospel truth.

You can tell what a piece of **** this forum is, when i am listed as a top contributor above Ramon, and this might be my third post in 6 months. what a joke.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 7:44 PM   in reply to Saro_cmos

"major disadvantage"!!! What screwed up part of the world are you from?

"It does take a bit of effort to work"!!! Are you that lazy? A little work never hurts anyone. Especially if a little extra work gets you a nice image... I do find that this new generation of photographers are a bunch of lazy a$$es.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2009 10:44 PM   in reply to Dirk Williams

They obviously have not spent any time in the dark room.

But wait! Their ain't any more dark room.

OMG!

Where you hanging, Donald?

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 9:04 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

Can you imagine what this person would have said before the days of digital…

"Developing your film can have a major disadvantage. It does take a bit of effort to work in a dark room, and should you choose not to do so, shoot with a Polaroid camera."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 3:01 PM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

Hi Larry, Not really hanging anywhere actually. Debated trying nikongear, but not sure yet if i want to bother or not. I really miss the old gang and the great forum that used to be here, and its hard to believe adobe even bothers to have a forum, with the little participation you see on this mess. It seems even the great contributors like Ramon have even given up, and who can blame them. Good to hear from you and hope you are still shooting those great scenes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 8:04 PM   in reply to Dirk Williams

Dirk Williams wrote:

Can you imagine what this person would have said before the days of digital…

"Developing your film can have a major disadvantage. It does take a bit of effort to work in a dark room, and should you choose not to do so, shoot with a Polaroid camera."

Developing your own film can cause exposure to (GASP!) chemicals! And what happens when all the dark leaks out?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 8:12 PM   in reply to Donald Reese

Donald Reese wrote:

Hi Larry, Not really hanging anywhere actually. Debated trying nikongear, but not sure yet if i want to bother or not. I really miss the old gang and the great forum that used to be here, and its hard to believe adobe even bothers to have a forum, with the little participation you see on this mess. It seems even the great contributors like Ramon have even given up, and who can blame them. Good to hear from you and hope you are still shooting those great scenes.

Nice to see you here, Donald. Yes, I have been shooting much since early spring. I had a contract worth Intel starting  July 08, got caught up in a civil suit, resolved that then proceeded to take off long weekends and start traveling. The contract ended the first of this July so here I am, flitting about the country. From desert to ocean. Just came back from 6 days at the beach where my SO and I shot over 1600 frames! She has my D80, I have the D90, a couple of VR lenses (goodbye tripod, even for stitched panos!).

What are you shooting?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 7:13 PM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself. I am shooting a D700,if thats what you were asking. I am soon headed to new england for fall foliage.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2009 10:40 AM   in reply to Donald Reese

I would like to get to N.E. for the fall someday! The PNW just got hammered with an early winter storm. No snow here, but above 4000', another story.

Speaking of jpeg vs RAW, I inadvertently switched from RAW to jpeg (don't ask!) and found I had to actually do some editing from jpeg. Yeeech!

I did manage it ok, but talk about being hog tied!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2009 3:42 AM   in reply to eothailand

eothailand, JPEG has only a 8-bit color depth (RAW up to 16 bit), so editing of a JPEG will destroy image quality. Look at a histogram after color corrections :-) It is the most important cause for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 3:28 PM   in reply to Dirk Williams

That is a great analogy, and I was going to make similar up-thread, but you said it better, and sooner.

Unfortunately, newer users of digital capture want it instantly, and in smaller doses. They do not have the background on how much better the images can be, if one works with them, and knows what they are doing. ACR will allow one to set up all sorts of Presets to nearly automate the "development" phase, and probably with Lightroom, things can be automated to an even higher level.

Think of the days when Ansel Adams would hand process an 8 x 10 neg in a tray, to get just the levels of development that he wanted. Those were his originals! There was also no Ctrl+Z in those days.

The only advantage that I could see to shooting JPEG would be where one was doing very limited "happy snaps," and needed to record a lot of images (however they turned out) onto a single card, or where they needed to do motion sequences faster than their camera could record in RAW.

Now, I am not a big fan of JPEG, and only use it when the client needs material for their Web site. Even with Video, where the ppi/dip does not count, and one is downsizing to something like 720 x 480 pixels (SD Video), I shoot RAW, process to .PSD and Import those into my Video editing program, even if I do not need to animate Layers, or similar.

Thanks for saying it better than I ever could.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2010 2:37 AM   in reply to eothailand

There are several pros and cons for JPEG and for RAW format. Here is list of some:

JPEG format

+ smaller file size

+ great portfolio of software to manage this format

-- just 8-bit (8 stops) dynamic range

-- lossy compression format

RAW format

-- larger file size

-- just a few programs to manage this format

+ usually 12-bit (12 stops) and larger dynamic range

+ lossless compression format

Generaly speaking if you don't care then JPEG format is enough for you. Just shoot and you have a photo. But having JPEG photography is almost like having the print of a photo, digitaly speaking You have lost the original so you are able to make just minimal adjustments, otherwise you will see what posterization and noise gain means and you will not like it

You are content with the JPEG photo unless you enter the RAW world Much larger dynamic range allow you to make photo-corrections like white balance, exposure, contrast adjustment, etc. in large scale. You are working with virginal data from the camera sensor not affected with lossy compression of the JPEG format. It is just aperture, lens, light and you. No digital filters usually used when camera is making JPEG from the same data.

http://www.nama5.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2010 5:40 PM   in reply to jesuis59

Comprehensive list. You have covered the bases well.

Personally, I only want JPEG, when I must hand off to a client, who needs an image for their Web site, and even then, I will usually Save_As PNG (plus it supports Transparency).

Well-said,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 10:33 AM   in reply to eothailand

I have been suppling my clients with digital images for nearly 10 years now. I have always supplied them with high res jpegs. I supply designers and direct to business clients and have never had any negative feedback over the quality of my images as jpegs. Recently I have occasionally been asked if I can supply raw files, and when I say I can, and ask what they will do with them, clients say that they have heard they are better, but then go on to admit that they would be more comfortable with jpegs as that is what they will end up sending them out as and would prefer not to have to convert them all. This is only my experience supplying fairly unedited jpegs as a corporate photographer in London, so not a lot of photoshop work. I cant really comment on the editing of raw files as I dont use them in my workflow, but understand they have lots of benefits, but like I say this is only my setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 9:16 PM   in reply to Corporate-Photographer

Dude you need to stop embedding your website in the middle of your paragraph. You seam to know what you are talking about but this practice is screaming spam. One or the other give advice or leave.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 10:15 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Roger Colclough, <shakka.161@bigpond.com>

Dude thats Rude. I have no idea what you are talking about. I asked a 

question regarding CS4 on the forum months ago. Since then I have 

received in the vicinity of 30-40 requests for advice myself and I 

know bugger all. If I could find out how to deregister from the forum 

I would be eternally greatful.  As for embedding websites and spamming 

- I do not have a website and have never given advice of any nature 

whatsoever.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 11:06 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

this was not what i meant- i was showing how plain in terms of photoshop manipulation my work is and therefore I dont need to shot on raw and how my clients are happy with jpegs. I apologise is it came across in any other way and wont make that mistake again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2010 11:54 PM   in reply to shakka161

Ah I don't see any of your posts in this thread, so why are you upset? It obviously was not aimed at you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 12:00 AM   in reply to Corporate-Photographer

No apologies necessary as long as you are sincere. If you are then it is me who needs to appologize. I see so many spammers that look like they are part of the conversation but embed links to a website as their main objective. So it is easy to trip on someone that was sincere.

Again my appolgies for making the mistake...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 12:11 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Hey Thats OK But why was your message and all the others sent to me? 

Seems I must be on some bulk mailing list. It's driving me crazy

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 12:14 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

I had been told at a seo workshop that if you were adding a link you should title the website into it (thats the name of my blog)- I can see now how it looks like spam now, but it was meant as a point of reference. I am new to the forum so learning as i go. Had some really good points and tips to photoshop problems I have struggled with for years. Do not want to mess things up after a few days!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 12:24 AM   in reply to shakka161

I wouldn't have any idea as to why you received any emails from this thread. Possibly a bug in the forum software. You could go into your prefrences and disable some of the email settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 12:31 AM   in reply to Corporate-Photographer

If you want to title a link it probably would be better to let the reader know that you are including a link. The more you are on the forums and the more known you become things like this won't be an issue. Its new users that are more likely to be spammers. So keep asking questions and post a few attachments as well. We all like to see what others are up to, especially creatively.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 12:46 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

sound advise thanks for your help with my early days

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 9:08 PM   in reply to Corporate-Photographer

No problem and again I appologize for being too rough on ya.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to shakka161

shakka161 wrote:

Hey Thats OK But why was your message and all the others sent to me?

Because you've subscribed to the thread or to the forum, by having your forum preferences set that way.  You can undo that at any time by editing your preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 1:34 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Going to shoot some raw files this week as I hear so many positive things about them. Anyone got any tips on where to start?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 2:36 PM   in reply to Corporate-Photographer

Your back yard or city park?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2010 6:10 AM   in reply to shakka161

You probably signed on to receive emails by checking that box when you

registered for this forum.

You can probably go back into your account and deselect it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to eothailand

I have a Sony DSC H9, that only shoots in JPEG.

It's beem a while since I'm learning about Photography and the difference between JPEG and RAW.

In my search for a DSLR camera I noticed an "JPEG+RAW" type of recording, the quality of this shooting mode is a lot worse than the regular RAW mode??

p.s. Sorry about the poor english.

Alex

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to Phantom 300

No difference in quality.

You just have 2 sets of files using more of your card and more storage space

on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to adobe2418

Ok, so the camera will save 2 files in stead of one, right?!

Thank you!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to Phantom 300

On Nikons, that's a choice. You run RAW or JPEG or RAW+JPEG. I choose only RAW. No reason I can see to have both on a regular basis.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 8:34 PM   in reply to Phantom 300

Yes.

If your JPEG is good, you can use it.

If you need to work on the image RAW will give you more control over the

final image.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 10:08 AM   in reply to eothailand

You will typically get good results with the JPG file format, but more importantly you get what your camera is programmed to process. Adjusting to different picture modes like close-up, landscape, etc, your picture is still being processed by an unintelligent fixed program.

On the other hand, you as the photographer do have intelligence, and more importantly an artistic eye. It is with your eye and the RAW file format that allows you to get the best results, the results that you want to see. Ultimately utilizing the RAW file format in Lightroom will give far superior results over any fix program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2011 1:34 PM   in reply to eothailand

To me its a no-brainer, RAW all the way. With a RAW file you can do everything to it, its basicly a digital negative, so you xcan convert it to Jpeg, Tiff what eva you want. I used to shoot JPEG before i learnt about RAW. Now i', a full time photog i couldn't think of using anything else other than RAW, as a Corporate photographer in London I need to get the most info recoreded in my images and RAW is the way.

Mark

[url deleted by host]

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2011 3:06 PM   in reply to shakka161

OK, this is horribly late, but might help others, who would come upon this thread.

The forums allow for several types of e-mail notification. One can subscribe to those for all threads, in which they post, to just their threads, to an entire forum or none of the above. The locations for administering to e-mail notification are in a couple of places. This ARTICLE will give tips on administering e-mail notifications. Check them all.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)