Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where can correct info for migration to DW be found?

Nov 6, 2010 4:40 AM

This page http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/golive_migration.html which is referenced on the page created after migration of a site to DWCS5 does not exist and has been moved to somepalce else. Does anybody know where?

After migration completed you are presented with a webpage which among other things have these 2 texts with a more link at the end. All very good if they lead to somewhere... Neither do.

Introduction to Dreamweaver

A Tour of the User Interface
Learn how to make the most of your Dreamweaver experience from Welcome Screen to Workspace layouts. This section covers using the different Dreamweaver views, including the new Live View as well as docking panels, the Property inspector, the Insert panel, tabbed documents, and Dreamweaver Preferences. - (more)

Working with CSS

Styling your Web pages in Dreamweaver
The technology of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) has been accepted by the web design community as the best practice for both styling and laying out your web pages. CSS is robustly supported in Dreamweaver. In this section, you’ll learn how to create new styles, link to external style sheets, modify your existing styles and apply them. You’ll even see how you can debug your CSS in one operation through the Check Browser Compatibility feature. - (more)

Also this page:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/dreamweaver/golive_migration/conte nt/using_gmk_extension.html

only mentions DWCS4, which makes people believe it doesn't work in DWCS5 - which it actually does. Somebpodyought to update those pages for DWCS5....

Replies
  • Ron Lanham
    112 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Jul 28, 2011 9:21 PM   in reply to Nini Tjäder

Nini,

I'm finally upgrading from GLCS2 to DWCS4.

I've been putting it off for years because of all of the proprietary CS code (csactions, csobjects, components, etc., etc.).

Is there a link or links you can refer me to that would assist me in how to strip all of the CS code that GoLive created? And what code I'd need to replace it with so my action, components, etc. were editable?

I've 'successfully' converted/migrated my personal site and everything seems to work (and connects to server, etc.) but lots of things are not editable (actions, components) because of the GoLive code.

Thanks for any help/links.

Ron

|
    Mark as:
  • Ron Lanham
    112 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Aug 4, 2011 1:46 PM   in reply to Nini Tjäder

Thanks Nini for all of the information.

The transitional process is insanely time consuming.

I'm especially having difficulties in trying to find equivalents (e.g. GL publish: always, if linksed, never... is DW's 'cloaked') Who would have guessed?

ScriptLib is created by DW's JSE but is totally uneditable once the Javascript is extracted!

Components become Library items but are not referenced so changing the Library item no longer changes the 'Component' in all of the pages it's placed.

Etc., etc., etc.

What an absolutely enormous cost it would be for someone that was making a living from working with GoLive and then having to transition their clients' sites to DW.

Just my own personal site has taken me around 40+ hours so far and I easily have another 15-20 hours left.

I spent a huge amount of time trying to do Find/Replace of much of the code, but then finally gave up and decided on manually stripping all of the proprietary GL code (i.e. CS) before migrating it to DW... since DW cannot successfully strip all of the code once it is migrated. And now I'm rebuilding hundreds of behaviors.

I won't waste your time ranting, but I can certainly empathize with anyone that hates Adobe after their total abandonment of GL.

Adobe could have at least provided a manual to their registered users regarding the near equivalent functions GL=DW so that we would know what panel, button, name to search for.

Anyway... the best of luck when you convert your own site.

Regards,

Ron

aka Ronald Lanham

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points