• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Illustrator files pixelated, even after continuous rasterization.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm trying to import files(Text converted to objects) from illustrator to after effects, and they're showing up pixelated, even after I've selected continuous rasterization. Google is no help, sadly, and any help I could get regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

kingofnoobs makes a good point.

It is important to distinguish between scaling (which preserves sharpness) and zooming in the panel for preview (which does not).

That's the point of the the note on this page:

"Note: After Effects renders vector objects before zooming (scaling for preview), so some vector objects may appear jagged when you zoom in on them. This apparent pixelation for zooms does not affect scaling of layers or rendering to final output. "

Show us a screenshot of your Composition pane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the zoom and resolution settings of your viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full resolution, 125% zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PAR of your comp?

Your comp window should look like this:

Screen Shot 2011-08-03 at 6.26.50 PM.png

The PAR Correction turned on is a likely culprit.

The other option you can take a look at is in the File Interpolation rules. There you can set antialiasing to Best for EPS options. You'll find it under the more options in the Footage Interpolation popup.

Screen Shot 2011-08-03 at 6.33.03 PM.png

The other thing that may give you problems is OPEN GL Rendering. Try turning OPEN GL off in the Comp window's Fast Previews options or in the Preferences.

This is how the Comp Window should look at 100%:

Screen Shot 2011-08-03 at 6.37.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has more to do with the illustrator file...If I increase the size of the vector file in illustrator and import it, it comes in at a higher resolution. It's as is AE is treating the vector file like a .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

abdulymalik wrote:

I think it has more to do with the illustrator file...If I increase the size of the vector file in illustrator and import it, it comes in at a higher resolution. It's as is AE is treating the vector file like a .jpg

This isn't right. While it's more convienent to create your Illustrator artwork at about the size you'll want to be using it, size doesn't effect how the file is rasterized. For example, here's an AI file that is scaled up 2000%

Screen Shot 2011-08-03 at 7.24.15 PM.png

Here's a huge illustrator file that's scaled to 1%:

Screen Shot 2011-08-03 at 7.32.34 PM.png

The only thing that would foul up an AI image for continuous rasterization is an effect applied in Illustrator that uses rastor effects. If you've applied any of the Effects under the Photoshop Effects to your illustrator files CR will be blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you may not get my idea .I mean it works while you change the scale of ai files in AE .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kingofnoobs makes a good point.

It is important to distinguish between scaling (which preserves sharpness) and zooming in the panel for preview (which does not).

That's the point of the the note on this page:

"Note: After Effects renders vector objects before zooming (scaling for preview), so some vector objects may appear jagged when you zoom in on them. This apparent pixelation for zooms does not affect scaling of layers or rendering to final output. "

Show us a screenshot of your Composition panel so that we can see what you're seeing. Be sure that you're zoomed to 100% in the viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, the problem was that I was zooming in instead of scaling. Everything looks fine now, and I feel very dumb. Thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

continusous rasterization only works while you use the camera zoom or change the scale of the AI files .but not zoom in  composition viewer .

hope you get my idea cuz my english is poor.

btw i just got that question  some time ago .and a kindness guy gived me this answer.awesome forums!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out the solution to this problem. You need to turn Fast Preview's to Off (Final Quality), see my screenshot. This worked.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.59.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my answer and i think it's totally enough

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS SOLVED IT FOR ME!!! Thank you jesus lol...I may just be an idiot but this was it for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if it hasn't been scaled up or down when imported into premier pro and it looks pixelated still?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using a dynamic link after effects composition in Ae? because if you do - there is a bug in CC2017: Known issues in After Effects CC 2017

other then that please be specific and show some screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines